Pace831

Metra taking over UP operations?

There's been an operating change on the UP-N & possibly all UP lines.   When I got on today, passengers weren't allowed to use the last car outbound or the head end car inbound.  The sole conductor rode that car & no one checks for fares. 

10 days ago, passengers were allowed on those cars, but again, no fares collected.  I don't know if this is permanent & I didn't get a chance to ask the conductor what's going on.

16 minutes ago, strictures said:

There's been an operating change on the UP-N & possibly all UP lines.   When I got on today, passengers weren't allowed to use the last car outbound or the head end car inbound.  The sole conductor rode that car & no one checks for fares. 

10 days ago, passengers were allowed on those cars, but again, no fares collected.  I don't know if this is permanent & I didn't get a chance to ask the conductor what's going on.

While there is no doubt this is related to the dispute with Metra,  UP can argue that it is taking precautions related to the pandemic by keeping its conductors and engineers safe.  There is also a passenger benefit in that injuries would be reduced in the event of a train and vehicle accident.   My question is whether fares are being collected on other Metra services including the BNSF,  ME,MD. and RI?

50 minutes ago, strictures said:

I’ve never been able to sit on the head inbound car or head outbound car on any UP train I’ve taken this summer

28 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

While there is no doubt this is related to the dispute with Metra,  UP can argue that it is taking precautions related to the pandemic by keeping its conductors and engineers safe.  There is also a passenger benefit in that injuries would be reduced in the event of a train and vehicle accident.   My question is whether fares are being collected on other Metra services including the BNSF,  ME,MD. and RI?

BNSF, ME, MDN are all collecting fares

26 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

My question is whether fares are being collected on other Metra services including the BNSF,  ME,MD. and RI?

My fare was collected on the RI trains that I rode on July 22. From what others have reported, it sounds like only UP isn’t collecting fares.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

My fare was collected on the RI trains that I rode on July 22. From what others have reported, it sounds like only UP isn’t collecting fares.

I wonder if Metra shares fares with UP and BNSF.  Of those RR can keep the fares collected, does Metra make adjustments to what they pay the RRs?