Pace831

Metra taking over UP operations?

2 hours ago, strictures said:

What freight service on the UP-N Line?  There's a few cars a day out of the North Ave. yard & some service to Abbott in North Chicago, but nothing in between anymore.  Both S&C Electric & Tempel Steel no longer have sidings into their properties.  That's it from Clybourn to North Chicago.

Another reason UP wants out of the passenger service.  In effect,  they are operating 2 lines as exclusive passenger services.   The UP-W passenger service disrupts their frei8operations.  Ive seen 3 long UP freight trains back to back to back sitting on the middle track between River Forest and the west side of Chicago so Metra trains can whiz by.  Freight trains along that stretch are mostly nonexistent during weekdays rush periods, though Wednesday i saw an outbound freight on the inbound track around 6pm.  I think it was pulling into the Melrose Park yard.

I think some progress could be made if UP could unbundle the three lines.  If UP would be willing to cede the N and NW lines and trackage to Metra,  maybe Up can sign one more purchase of service agreement with Metra with the expressed intent for Metra to take over operations of the West line at the expiration of that agreement.   It should also include trackage fees that Metra would have to pay UP once Metra takes over the W operations. 

10 hours ago, strictures said:

What freight service on the UP-N Line?  There's a few cars a day out of the North Ave. yard & some service to Abbott in North Chicago, but nothing in between anymore.  Both S&C Electric & Tempel Steel no longer have sidings into their properties.  That's it from Clybourn to North Chicago.

UP-N has plenty of freight north of Lake Bluff. This is the link between Chicago (Proviso) and Milwaukee and a fair amount of service to and from Minnesota. And don't forget the coal trains that serve Waukegan and Oak Creek. The UPNW is pretty much commuter only especially since GM Janesville shut down. There is some freight there, but not much. 

6 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

UP-N has plenty of freight north of Lake Bluff. This is the link between Chicago (Proviso) and Milwaukee and a fair amount of service to and from Minnesota. And don't forget the coal trains that serve Waukegan and Oak Creek. The UPNW is pretty much commuter only especially since GM Janesville shut down. There is some freight there, but not much. 

There won't be any coal trains in five years, probably even sooner than that.  And the tracks from Kenosha to Milwaukee are not in great shape, since the C&NW ended passenger service in 1971 & Amtrak decided to go with the Milwaukee Road out of Union Station.  Plus the crazies in Glenview have prevented a third passing track there.

A Up nw train stopped last night as I was crossing in Norwood park, so I decided to count the passengers cause it had just turned dark, it was the evening around 730 or 8 o'clock. Would you believe I only counted one passenger. That's the problem you have more personnel than passengers. I was eyeing the entry door for the passengers. It opened but I saw no conductor. That was kind of curious. Wonder if they have a way to open the doors automatically. Maybe the guy was just inside the entrance, I dont know, but I thought they are supposed to check for stragglers. Cause someone could get run over, just for safety's sake.