7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

1 hour ago, Juniorz said:

I think everyone is also missing the point that the new facility is close to the planned Red Line extension terminal at 130th (should the extension get built).

This would make deliveries seamless!  

Much closer, yes,  Seamless?  Not quite.  Torrence is about 2 miles east of the Bishop Ford and the planned CTA Red Line extension terminal is about 1 mile WEST of the Bishop Ford.  

6 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Much closer, yes,  Seamless?  Not quite.  Torrence is about 2 miles east of the Bishop Ford and the planned CTA Red Line extension terminal is about 1 mile WEST of the Bishop Ford.  

Making the transfers a lot more seamless than Skokie-South.

So, does anyone think the Red Line will operate both 5000s and 7000s?  After all, the compatibility requirement was eliminated, and I do believe that the reason for compatibility in the original bid was to run both the 5000s and 7000s on the Red Line.

Blue Line riders are probably hoping they don't get shorted again by getting hand-me-down 5000s from the Red Line and making the Red Line 100% 7000-series.

I would think the best solution would be for the Red Line to get the 5000s from the Pink and Green Lines, and converting the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.  The Pink and Green Lines have almost exactly enough cars needed for the Red Line extension, thus it would make sense for the Red Line to get the 5000s from both lines and convert the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.

Just now, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Which sucked because I thought the spotlights above the doors looked cool.:(

I've always thought it would be really cool to have light strips on the sides of the doors that lit up with the color of the line the train was running currently when the doors opened, and then pulsed red when the doors were closing.

54 minutes ago, Pink Jazz said:

So, does anyone think the Red Line will operate both 5000s and 7000s?  After all, the compatibility requirement was eliminated, and I do believe that the reason for compatibility in the original bid was to run both the 5000s and 7000s on the Red Line.

Blue Line riders are probably hoping they don't get shorted again by getting hand-me-down 5000s from the Red Line and making the Red Line 100% 7000-series.

I would think the best solution would be for the Red Line to get the 5000s from the Pink and Green Lines, and converting the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.  The Pink and Green Lines have almost exactly enough cars needed for the Red Line extension, thus it would make sense for the Red Line to get the 5000s from both lines and convert the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.

Anywhere 2600's and 3200's are will be getting the 7000's. If they started rolling in today, that would mean the Brown, Orange and Blue would get these cars(not necessarily in this order). Red Line has 426 5000's.... I think they have more than enough railcars on their line, and at the 2019-2020 time, the oldest 5000's will be 10-11 years old with the newest being only 3-4 years old.

And besides that, I think other riders want to have that new train smell.... it doesn't last long there.... check out this Facebook post....

Lisa Luna

on Friday

Can the CTA please clean the red line cars. The stink is overwhelming.

I tried the embed post link, it just comes up with lines of code here.... maybe I'm doing something wrong???

Just now, sw4400 said:

Anywhere 2600's and 3200's are will be getting the 7000's. If they started rolling in today, that would mean the Brown, Orange and Blue would get these cars(not necessarily in this order). Red Line has 426 5000's.... I think they have more than enough railcars on their line, and at the 2019-2020 time, the oldest 5000's will be 10-11 years old with the newest being only 3-4 years old.

The reason why I asked is due to the Red Line extension, which according to posts earlier in the thread would require more cars than what the Red Line is currently equipped with.  Blue, Orange, and Brown are obvious choices, but there are also 190 additional cars in the contract for fleet expansion, and many users here have suggested that those cars would be for the Red Line extension.  However, the Red Line would end up with an incompatible fleet if they get the 190 7000-series cars, so I think it would be more logical for the Red Line to get the 5000-series cars from the Pink and Green Lines, and convert the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.

5 minutes ago, Pink Jazz said:

The reason why I asked is due to the Red Line extension, which according to posts earlier in the thread would require more cars than what the Red Line is currently equipped with.  Blue, Orange, and Brown are obvious choices, but there are also 190 additional cars in the contract for fleet expansion, and many users here have suggested that those cars would be for the Red Line extension.  However, the Red Line would end up with an incompatible fleet if they get the 190 7000-series cars, so I think it would be more logical for the Red Line to get the 5000-series cars from the Pink and Green Lines, and convert the Pink and Green Lines to 7000s.

I can understand fleet expansion.... but why 600+ railcars for the Red Line just to travel 35 blocks further south(presuming this even sees the light of day, there's really nothing I'm hearing about this anymore either here or on CTA's Facebook or main site). Also, Emanuel wants to do that express service to O'Hare.... how many of those 190 might be for this new service, which is piggybacked with the 7000's announcement.

3 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

So now that we know who will be making the new cars and how they will look, My question does anybody know if the 7000's will be compatable with the 5000's or is that still a no no lol.

Until we get technical specs, we won't know. Right now, it's just a nice art concept on paper.

1 hour ago, briman94 said:

I've always thought it would be really cool to have light strips on the sides of the doors that lit up with the color of the line the train was running currently when the doors opened, and then pulsed red when the doors were closing.

The closest I've seen to that is in Seattle. Their light rail has lights like that that flash yellow when the doors are closing. I like it when the vehicles have those lights on the sides of the doors instead of the ceiling. Who can even gaze up there when boarding or getting off and not trip at the same time (not a challenge, I don't want anyone injuring themselves)?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

The exteriors will be no doubt a carbon copy of the 3200's, like the 5000's were.

And the 3200s are basically a 2600 shell  with side fluting (obvious since the Alstom rebuild stripped the exterior striping). The 2400 and 2600 are a similar shell (minus front bonnet and modest running changes), meaning the basic CTA car shell design has been around since 1976 - four decades.

On 3/9/2016 at 5:59 PM, R36BoxMotor said:

And the 3200s are basically a 2600 shell  with side fluting (obvious since the Alstom rebuild stripped the exterior striping). The 2400 and 2600 are a similar shell (minus front bonnet and modest running changes), meaning the basic CTA car shell design has been around since 1976 - four decades.

As I said above, it had to conform to CTA specs. Apparently the only freedom was the end cap.

Also that shell essentially goes back to the 2200s (1969) except they didn't have the bowed sides.

The only thing that shows on the rendering that may change on the actual model is the end cap. It may show blue in the renderings, but it can also be stainless steel gray when the prototype comes here. I would look for this too, since the CTA got rid of colored end caps with the 2400's beginning in 2004. It wouldn't make since to go back to colored end caps, especially with taggers out there who love to leave their mark. That would be an added expense of removing tagging and repainting the area blue again. It was costly to continue to repaint the striping and front end caps of the 2400's as the paint faded.

10 minutes ago, Pink Jazz said:

Weren't the 2200-series endcaps all stainless steel?  It sure appears that way from photos.

Certainly not the mask around the windows and headlights. Chicgo-l.org says on the 2200s page: "... a plain front end with only inserts of fiberglass for the windows and lights were additional innovations."

• Upvote 1

Is this still the breakdown for options? This was from 2013, when the 7000's were initially expected this year before the cancellation and rebid of the contract.

Base order + 8 options, totaling 846 cars breaks down as the following:

• Base Order for 100 cars
  • Option 1 for 50 cars
  • Option 2 for 50 cars
  • Option 3 for 100 cars
  • Option 4 for 100 cars
  • Option 5 for 156 cars
  • Option 6 for 100 cars
  • Option 7 for 100 cars
  • Option 8 for 90 cars

The trib's link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-cta-board-rail-cars-0310-20160309-story.html

They claim the CSR bid was lower than Bombardier by 226 Million. They show more interior pictures. I guess the interior is not too bad, but it's still the same CTA railcar to me. I don't know if I like the seats. They don't look like they have much padding. The #7900 seats will hurt your behind on long rides, so I don't know how comfortable this car will be. I was laughing at the handicapped seats, they look only big enough for a child when in the non handicapped state. They almost remind me of a jump seat, something that is not really a seat unless there is no other seat. I notice the seats are cantilever here too, so why can't bombardier do this would be a good question? I don't really see a station stop counter map, are they mean't to be on the overhead display? If you notice the car cards say Orange line, so they must be anticipating sending them there. If Orange gets them, Brown will get them because the lines interchange with each other. I would think the 400 base order would ring a few bells, because that is the size of the blue line fleet.  Still though if they order 846, blue brown and orange is like 700 cars, so what to do with 146 cars. This to me spells the 130th extension or there will be no extended option.

On a side note, I wonder could they just be building the factory to build these cars and sell it off to someone. In boston, they have a plant in Springfield,Mass. Do they need two american factories?

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The trib's link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-cta-board-rail-cars-0310-20160309-story.html

They claim the CSR bid was lower than Bombardier by 226 Million. They show more interior pictures. I guess the interior is not too bad, but it's still the same CTA railcar to me. I don't know if I like the seats. They don't look like they have much padding. The #7900 seats will hurt your behind on long rides, so I don't know how comfortable this car will be. I was laughing at the handicapped seats, they look only big enough for a child when in the non handicapped state. They almost remind me of a jump seat, something that is not really a seat unless there is no other seat. I notice the seats are cantilever here too, so why can't bombardier do this would be a good question? I don't really see a station stop counter map, are they mean't to be on the overhead display? If you notice the car cards say Orange line, so they must be anticipating sending them there. If Orange gets them, Brown will get them because the lines interchange with each other. I would think the 400 base order would ring a few bells, because that is the size of the blue line fleet.  Still though if they order 846, blue brown and orange is like 700 cars, so what to do with 146 cars. This to me spells the 130th extension or there will be no extended option.

Ok, so 400 is the Base Order, but how do the options break down? I'm trying to put the blocks together for a off-site roster so I can just quickly plug them onto here as options are picked up(presuming all are).