7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

14 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

lmao i meant to say CTA tracks by spring i said “car” and yea i hope they come on the tracks by spring and also while reading thru this i have a reason to believe if cta is thinking about replacing the 3200’s (after recent rehab) why tho? after they just got a whole rehab was that temporary or something?

The CTA probably split the CRRC order into a firm order and additional options because the 3200s don’t need to be replaced right away, but the 2600s are obviously nearing the end of their service lives. So the initial order is larger to replace all of the 2600s that are in service, and the option order is smaller to potentially replace the 257 3200s. While the CTA would definitely appreciate a younger, more reliable rail fleet, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

I think the decision to replace the 3200s will depend on if CRRC messes up the initial order, or the prototypes. One of their companies is manufacturing subway cars for the Orange and Red Lines in Boston, but the Orange Line cars have been pulled from service at least twice, most recently because the doors would open while the train was in motion.

6 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The CTA probably split the CRRC order into a firm order and additional options because the 3200s don’t need to be replaced right away, but the 2600s are obviously nearing the end of their service lives. So the initial order is larger to replace all of the 2600s that are in service, and the option order is smaller to potentially replace the 257 3200s. While the CTA would definitely appreciate a younger, more reliable rail fleet, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

I think the decision to replace the 3200s will depend on if CRRC messes up the initial order, or the prototypes. One of their companies is manufacturing subway cars for the Orange and Red Lines in Boston, but the Orange Line cars have been pulled from service at least twice, most recently because the doors would open while the train was in motion.

486 is think is the base order of the 7000’s since orange will only get 100 something of those and the rest go to blue

On 12/14/2019 at 11:56 PM, rvwnsd said:

I thought the exact same thing, @Mr.cta85. The 2200's were my all-time favorite railcar from the time I first rode them as a 5 year old. Can't tell you how many times my dad would wait for train after train because I wanted to ride a "new car." Years and years later when I'd make a trip back home I would always sit in a 2200 car on the Blue LiSne. If the train didn't have them I'd wait for the next one. 

I use to do the same back in 00-01 when I was 5 I wanted to be on the 2200' I use to like how the doors opened

On 12/27/2019 at 9:37 AM, BusHunter said:

I totally missed this. Good catch looks like you guys scooped everyone!! We'll see how long the blue ends last. Probably not long, but what would be unique is to color them for each line they will run on. Then there is no question what line they serve

Nice catch broham they favor the 2200's in the front & the 5000's down the side 

1 hour ago, Shannon CVPI said:

But would the blue like tracks be able to handle the new trains coming cuz as we all know the 5000's can't run on em cuz the tracks can't take it

Its more of the power issue cause technically they could just add more UIC runs with 5000s if they didnt want them on Forest Park tracks. These cars along with the 7000s are basically like iPhones and androids the 2600s are razors so thats serious power drainage compared to the older cars so more 5000s might get trickled in as the substations get upgraded. The main bulk of riders is Jeff Park to UIC

7 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Its more of the power issue cause technically they could just add more UIC runs with 5000s if they didnt want them on Forest Park tracks. These cars along with the 7000s are basically like iPhones and androids the 2600s are razors so thats serious power drainage compared to the older cars so more 5000s might get trickled in as the substations get upgraded. The main bulk of riders is Jeff Park to UIC

we also need that congress branch rehab but like discussed before we waiting on CDOT or IDOT to finish with stuff

45 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Aw ok yea I know that that's the heaviest side I thought FP to downtown was heavy too but it's not as heavy as the other end you just said so yes only time will tell

9 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

we also need that congress branch rehab but like discussed before we waiting on CDOT or IDOT to finish with stuff

I mean that couldnt stop them from putting them on a few more UIC trips im not saying all but considering its their best interest to keep 2600s off the road as much as possible I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a few more got trickled in after the power gets finished

I think the order is this;

1.  Howard branch Red Line 

2. O'Hare branch Blue Line 

3.  Brown Line 

4.  95th branch Red Line 

5.  Orange Line 

6.  Forest Park Blue Line 

7.  Harlem Green Line 

8. SSM Green Line 

9. Purple Line 

10.  Pink Line 

11.  Yellow Line  

It's possible that I have 6 and 7 mixed up.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

3.  Brown Line 

4.  95th branch Red Line 

5.  Orange Line 

7.  Harlem Green Line 

8. SSM Green Line 

9. Purple Line 

10.  Pink Line 

11.  Yellow Line  

I thought yellow was #1 ??

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

3.  Brown Line 

4.  95th branch Red Line 

5.  Orange Line 

7.  Harlem Green Line 

8. SSM Green Line 

9. Purple Line 

10.  Pink Line 

11.  Yellow Line  

For reference, the busiest non-Loop/downtown stations are:

• Belmont (RPB)
  • Addison (Red)
  • Fullerton
  • O'Hare
  • 95th
  • Midway
  • Logan Square
  • Damen (Blue)
  • Rosemont
  • Jefferson Park
  • Upvote 1

It probably will go down that the blue line will get all the 3200s while the orange and brown will get either 5000s or 7000s. Where they will come from is the interesting part. They probably would like to try out the 7000s on a light line like the 5000s so I say the 7000s will start on the pink again. If we go down that road the green will get the 7000s next. But what happens to the 5000s they go to brown and orange? It may end up they do the same lines over with 7000s and the 5000s end up on the blue orange and brown? 

24 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It probably will go down that the blue line will get all the 3200s while the orange and brown will get either 5000s or 7000s. Where they will come from is the interesting part. They probably would like to try out the 7000s on a light line like the 5000s so I say the 7000s will start on the pink again. If we go down that road the green will get the 7000s next. But what happens to the 5000s they go to brown and orange? It may end up they do the same lines over with 7000s and the 5000s end up on the blue orange and brown? 

cta did state 7000’s are replacing 2600’s if everything goes smooth then they will order more to replace 3200’s

27 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Y'all are overthinking this.  5000s ain't going nowhere and are staying right where they are now as long as the 3200s are still in service.

58 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Y'all are overthinking this.  5000s ain't going nowhere and are staying right where they are now as long as the 3200s are still in service.

It seems irrational for CTA to move the 5000s around unless the Blue, Brown and Orange have been fully converted from high performance (2600/3200s) cars, unless the blue line's 5000s would be moved to one of the five lines whose fleets are pure 5000s.

• Like 1

This is how i think itll go down. The pink and green lines get the 7000 series first to move all the 5000 series to the brown line to replace the 3200's. What's left of the 5000 series would go to the red line since it's suppose to be extended. The orange & blue lines will be getting the 7000's no matter what since they go to the airport.

8 minutes ago, John7 said:

This is how i think itll go down. The pink and green lines get the 7000 series first to move all the 5000 series to the brown line to replace the 3200's. What's left of the 5000 series would go to the red line since it's suppose to be extended. The orange & blue lines will be getting the 7000's no matter what since they go to the airport.

The only problem with your rationale is that usually the Orange and Brown Lines run compatible or similar equipment.   Because sometimes these lines are combined into a single route, you would have to train those operators on 2 sets of equipment and they are NOT compatible with each other.   

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:55 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

cta did state 7000’s are replacing 2600’s if everything goes smooth then they will order more to replace 3200’s

The only thing wrong with the blue line getting 3200s is that there are not enough of them to equip the blue. If you subtract the roof board ones they have even less. Somewhere the blue line will have to get ac equipped cars. Dont ask me how they will run to forest pk. They claim the bouncing messes up the leveling suspension on the 5000s. They could always run  the 5000s to uic or even to 54th cermak again. CTA is probably hoping the 290 rehab happens before then. 

17 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The only thing wrong with the blue line getting 3200s is that there are not enough of them to equip the blue. If you subtract the roof board ones they have even less. Somewhere the blue line will have to get ac equipped cars. Dont ask me how they will run to forest pk. They claim the bouncing messes up the leveling suspension on the 5000s. They could always run  the 5000s to uic or even to 54th cermak again. CTA is probably hoping the 290 rehab happens before then. 

290 rehab started a little bit by UIC idk if that has to do with anything 

8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

290 rehab started a little bit by UIC idk if that has to do with anything 

That might have to do more with the Circle Interchange rebuilding than the Eisenhower itself. There was a lot more construction on that part of the Eisenhower than any other part, and that goes for the Kennedy as well.

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I've been wondering if the CTA could rehab the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line between UIC and Cicero.   IDOT is mainly concerned with the Ike between Laramie and Manheim.   Can IDOT eliminate the left entrances and exits at Austin and Harlem?  Can IDOT or CTA get the EJE tracks adjacent to the Blue Line between Central and Desplaines Ave?

If CTA can rehab between UIC and Cicero soon,  there would be less to do once IDOT decides on a plan.  It would be easy to route Blue Line service to 54/Cermak while rehabbing.  If the work to Cicero is done before IDOT starts their plans,  CTA could then run service to Cicero and use shuttles West of there either to Blue or Green Line stations. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I've been wondering if the CTA could rehab the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line between UIC and Cicero.   IDOT is mainly concerned with the Ike between Laramie and Manheim.   Can IDOT eliminate the left entrances and exits at Austin and Harlem?  Can IDOT or CTA get the EJE tracks adjacent to the Blue Line between Central and Desplaines Ave?

If CTA can rehab between UIC and Cicero soon,  there would be less to do once IDOT decides on a plan.  It would be easy to route Blue Line service to 54/Cermak while rehabbing.  If the work to Cicero is done before IDOT starts their plans,  CTA could then run service to Cicero and use shuttles West of there either to Blue or Green Line stations. 

True but idk you know the state drag their feet on it claiming they broke when they really not