Mr.NewFlyer1051

7000-series - Delivery

5 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Looks Cool!

Too many sideways seats at the 'A' end of the car.  No reason that the last pair can't be turned to face forward or backwards.  Even worse, the CTA will take those pairs out of some cars to allow space for the ice melting equipment, when they could install seats that flip up.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:55 PM, geneking7320 said:

Did the lights flicker like that to your eyes or was that a function of your camera?

Has to do with refresh rate on our screens

Dave

On 10/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

The 7000s are another step closer to running in passenger service.  They were testing at Bryn Mawr today.

Any idea why there are keypads on the outside at the B ends of each car?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, strictures said:

Any idea why there are keypads on the outside at the B ends of each car?

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say it’s an unlock feature. Like when operators walk to a closed train with a key and unlock a door for themselves to walk in and set themselves up 

I was tracking down a few dates of the timeline of when the new #5000 series, were being tested at Bryn Mawr and when they went into in service testing on the lines. The #5000s were tested at Bryn Mawr 10/20/09 and the first in service testing was in April of 2010, so we may have 6 months to wait until we can see these cars in action at the public level. 

Was reading a little about the manufacturing process. The shells are made in China sent over on a boat to the US porting at either Houston or LA. I know LA has a big customs outfit for imports out there. Never heard about Houston before. Anyway the shells are then transported on flatbed trucks to the south side CRRC plant where the assembly happens. Some components are american in the cars some Chinese. It seems like a big process just getting the shells here. I like the colored ends I hope CTA does not nix that from future orders. 

8 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say it’s an unlock feature. Like when operators walk to a closed train with a key and unlock a door for themselves to walk in and set themselves up 

But why at the B end, as the cabs are the A end?

On 10/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

The 7000s are another step closer to running in passenger service.  They were testing at Bryn Mawr today.

I saw this video directly on YouTube when you first posted it. Very nice shots.