7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I doubt a digital map is going to tip the scale, but as with technology, the engineering should be that it takes less power or the power systems are more condensed to do more or it's not really an advance in tech. It's like those big heavy LCD tvs. They have advanced to led to advanced led so they can do more with less. The tvs are lighter than they used to be. Or a 4 cylinder suv. They would laugh you out of town if you told someone 15 years ago hey my blazer has a 4 cylinder. That's part iof the reason the acceleration is so fast on cars and trucks it's the weight and electric trucks are coming like hummer. 

The reason the red got the cars was ultimately the decision of the cta. The infrastructure would then be improved because of it. I think the camera tech helped get it there. Obviously the brass at cta are not  pro blue so I'm not expecting 7000s on blue. It will be the last to get improvements even though service was skyrocketing. Only the cars themselves can persuade them now to change the decision about blue, but I really doubt that happens. It would be something I havent seen since the 80s. The blue never will get new cars, not while the current administration is there. 

It’s not whether a single feature would tip the scale moreso the sheer amount of trains needed to run the line THEN it starts to add up. Also with blue being such a pain to transfer cars back and forth to I doubt cta is just being a “blue line bully”. Red and blue both had 2600s as they’re workhorses for a long time it jsut happens that red line already had the capability to handle 5000s While blue needs the work. It could’ve been the other way around if blue line experience rider ship booms before the red Line. Then blue line would probably be more up to date, green, pink and blue would’ve been the ones with all 5000 while Howard would’ve been stuck with old equipment but seriously we gotta stop with this notion that cta is picking on the blue line lol

Well I dont know what you would call it. But the bottom line is all these infrastructure upgrades are gonna have to come blue lines way or theres no need for the last 400 cars of the order. Dont see how that's going to happen when red line is the priority. Again. I just expect more of the same. Easier to just do a line cut. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well I dont know what you would call it. But the bottom line is all these infrastructure upgrades are gonna have to come blue lines way or theres no need for the last 400 cars of the order. Dont see how that's going to happen when red line is the priority. Again. I just expect more of the same. Easier to just do a line cut. 

it easy to do a line cut actually run the blue line from ohare to 54th cut pink line service completely and replace with blue cuz there is no stations between ashland and polk for a few months and then run more green line service (optional) between ashland and the loop 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

it easy to do a line cut actually run the blue line from ohare to 54th cut pink line service completely and replace with blue cuz there is no stations between ashland and polk for a few months and then run more green line service (optional) between ashland and the loop 

You just read my mind Mr.NewFlyer1051!

5 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Green line short-turns aren't going to go over well, especially with the south siders (even they don't really ride the green lie, which is where the irony lays)

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Somethings up anyway if they are thinking of building a turn track at imd station. Do they have the room to put a turn track from the far right to the far left on the row on the ike right there just west of ashland the row is wider there cause of the 54th incline.  I mean like the turn track in Howard yard that goes over the yellow line. You know that could work ohare trains could use that and forest pk train scould use morgan middle and racine could be a transfer stop, alot like Indiana green line was in the old days. 

Just now, BusHunter said:

Somethings up anyway if they are thinking of building a turn track at imd station. Do they have the room to put a turn track from the far right to the far left on the row on the ike right there just west of ashland the row is wider there cause of the 54th incline. You know that could work ohare trains could use that and forest pk trsin could use morgan middle and racine could be a transfer stop, alot like Indiana green line was in the old days. 

why have a turn track when there’s already one at UIC?

9 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

It wouldn't hurt to run the Pink Line rush hours only.  Now that people have adjusted to the Pink Line, there's people in the West Loop along Lake Street that use it.  

9 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

they can use green line it runs thru the loop just like pink line

This will revert back to the pre-2006 condition, requiring a transfer.

At any rate, this will create a mess and a lot of confusion. And if IDOT has to stage for the rebuild, this may require the complete closure of the entire branch west of the LaSalle/Congress subway station during the construction period (as in, even the UIC-Halsted station and all other stations on the expressway median may have to be demolished and the trackage removed in favor of temporary automobile traffic lanes). The incline from the expressway median to the elevated structure near Paulina will have to be relocated and rebuilt, in this scenario.

13 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

At any rate, this will create a mess and a lot of confusion. And if IDOT has to stage for the rebuild, this may require the complete closure of the entire branch west of the LaSalle/Congress subway station during the construction period (as in, even the UIC-Halsted station and all other stations on the expressway median may have to be demolished and the trackage removed in favor of temporary automobile traffic lanes). The incline from the expressway median to the elevated structure near Paulina will have to be relocated and rebuilt, in this scenario.

The big IDOT work that would require complications with CTA would be the part where the train moves under then pops back up on the side

14 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

It wouldn't hurt to run the Pink Line rush hours only.  Now that people have adjusted to the Pink Line, there's people in the West Loop along Lake Street that use it.  

11 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

they can use green line it runs thru the loop just like pink line

I think he means West Loop as along Van Buren and Wells, which is NOT served by the Green Line.  During the rush periods without Pink service, those riders would have to transfer Green to Purple or Brown or Orange to Green.

2 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

The ike has already been built out to racine with concrete roadways and new ramps from the interchange so any work will be west of racine. Traffic moves good out to austin but as soon as it goes 3 lanes it's a choke point that will be most likely the focal point of the construction. They need more space how they are going to get it is the engineers problem. Remember how they were going to cap the ike. They could cap it create parkland above it raise the trains to surface level run them either at grade or create flyovers. Give the whole valley underneath to the ike and expand it. Same could be done with a multi level underground surface but that would require lots of digging. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I think he means West Loop as along Van Buren and Wells, which is NOT served by the Green Line.  During the rush periods without Pink service, those riders would have to transfer Green to Purple or Brown or Orange to Green.

There has also been lots of development the past few years between Ashland and Clinton.  I've seen West Loop riders from the Morgan stop go onto the Douglas branch

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The ike has already been built out to racine with concrete roadways and new ramps from the interchange so any work will be west of racine. Traffic moves good out to austin but as soon as it goes 3 lanes it's a choke point that will be most likely the focal point of the construction. They need more space how they are going to get it is the engineers problem. Remember how they were going to cap the ike. They could cap it create parkland above it raise the trains to surface level run them either at grade or create flyovers. Give the whole valley underneath to the ike and expand it. Same could be done with a multi level underground surface but that would require lots of digging. 

I thought one of the main goals in the Ike rebuild was to rid the roadway if the left lane exits at Austin and Harlem.  The freight tracks south if the CTA tracks could be key.  Can CTA GET air rights to build an elevated structure over those tracks if they stay, or van CTA get the rights to that property?  Either one would let the CTA tracks become part of the expressway where you can add one lane in each direction through Iak Park. 

OUCH !! Boy did I let the "dogs" chew me up lol ?

Regarding the video on Youtube had I seen the AD board with ALL line maps I would have written off my blue line theory. In my view all I see are 2 line maps (Blue and Green) ?? It's very confusing and pointless for it to be there if that's NOT where they're planning to use this series of trains ?

23 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

OUCH !! Boy did I let the "dogs" chew me up lol ?

Regarding the video on Youtube had I seen the AD board with ALL line maps I would have written off my blue line theory. In my view all I see are 2 line maps (Blue and Green) ?? It's very confusing and pointless for it to be there if that's NOT where they're planning to use this series of trains ?

They’re test trains they’re liable to do and go anywhere. Blue line today then turn around and run a test in your backyard tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

They’re test trains they’re liable to do and go anywhere. Blue line today then turn around and run a test in your backyard tomorrow. 

I know very well that they're testing the trains all over the system, I have been watching videos of them on YouTube for weeks now lol

My main point is why even bother to install a route map at all if its not 100% locked in which line will get these cars first ??

IMO just seems like a waste of time 

Dave

42 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

I know very well that they're testing the trains all over the system, I have been watching videos of them on YouTube for weeks now lol

My main point is why even bother to install a route map at all if its not 100% locked in which line will get these cars first ??

IMO just seems like a waste of time 

Dave

Who knows it might be the first line tested in revenue service so that could be why they have a route map. Either way it goes as discussed plenty of times as well as said by cta themselves that blue cannot take on new cars until the power is upgraded as well as the track bed stabilized outwest because these cars would heavily tax the power grid if used before the blue line is upgraded. 

Hmm crazy idea.... the power upgrades aren’t dependent on IDOT, IDOT’s main concern is west of Cicero.... what if CTA shutdown the line, completely rebuilt from Clinton to Cicero while at the same time doing a more aggressive Tamping and tie replacement west of there that lasts long enough for IDOT to figure out what they want to do which between that and the power upgrades would allow more new cars to start coming on the line. Then when IDOT knows it’s plans CTA can do its permanent rebuild west of cicero 

57 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Hmm crazy idea.... the power upgrades aren’t dependent on IDOT, IDOT’s main concern is west of Cicero.... what if CTA shutdown the line, completely rebuilt from Clinton to Cicero while at the same time doing a more aggressive Tamping and tie replacement west of there that lasts long enough for IDOT to figure out what they want to do which between that and the power upgrades would allow more new cars to start coming on the line. Then when IDOT knows it’s plans CTA can do its permanent rebuild west of cicero 

To be honest,  I really don't know if the power upgrade is an issue fie the Forest Park branch.  Peak time headway is lighter on that branch compared to the O'HARE branch..   The main issue is the track bed and the tracks haven't been replaced since that stretch was built.   Now the fleet is getting heavier as the infrastructure is getting weaker.   I suppose a power upgrade wouldn't hurt..  The outbound ride yo Forest Park is faster than the inbound ride from Forest Park. 

I don't think this will happen, but there was some talk about extending the Blue Line westward to Manheim (and possibly Oak Brook) as part of the Ike rebuild, which would go from Cicero to 25th Ave.