7000-series - Delivery

9 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

it easy to do a line cut actually run the blue line from ohare to 54th cut pink line service completely and replace with blue cuz there is no stations between ashland and polk for a few months and then run more green line service (optional) between ashland and the loop 

It wouldn't hurt to run the Pink Line rush hours only.  Now that people have adjusted to the Pink Line, there's people in the West Loop along Lake Street that use it.  

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moderator note: This is a discussion forum, not a messaging platform. For those who wish to send short messages back and forth, please use the Messages feature. Off-topic and one-word posts have been

here is the first 7000 at skokie shops once 7 more arrive they will begin testing 

Moderator note: Off-topic posts have been removed.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

they can use green line it runs thru the loop just like pink line

This will revert back to the pre-2006 condition, requiring a transfer.

At any rate, this will create a mess and a lot of confusion. And if IDOT has to stage for the rebuild, this may require the complete closure of the entire branch west of the LaSalle/Congress subway station during the construction period (as in, even the UIC-Halsted station and all other stations on the expressway median may have to be demolished and the trackage removed in favor of temporary automobile traffic lanes). The incline from the expressway median to the elevated structure near Paulina will have to be relocated and rebuilt, in this scenario.

13 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

At any rate, this will create a mess and a lot of confusion. And if IDOT has to stage for the rebuild, this may require the complete closure of the entire branch west of the LaSalle/Congress subway station during the construction period (as in, even the UIC-Halsted station and all other stations on the expressway median may have to be demolished and the trackage removed in favor of temporary automobile traffic lanes). The incline from the expressway median to the elevated structure near Paulina will have to be relocated and rebuilt, in this scenario.

The big IDOT work that would require complications with CTA would be the part where the train moves under then pops back up on the side

14 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

It wouldn't hurt to run the Pink Line rush hours only.  Now that people have adjusted to the Pink Line, there's people in the West Loop along Lake Street that use it.  

11 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

they can use green line it runs thru the loop just like pink line

I think he means West Loop as along Van Buren and Wells, which is NOT served by the Green Line.  During the rush periods without Pink service, those riders would have to transfer Green to Purple or Brown or Orange to Green.

2 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

The ike has already been built out to racine with concrete roadways and new ramps from the interchange so any work will be west of racine. Traffic moves good out to austin but as soon as it goes 3 lanes it's a choke point that will be most likely the focal point of the construction. They need more space how they are going to get it is the engineers problem. Remember how they were going to cap the ike. They could cap it create parkland above it raise the trains to surface level run them either at grade or create flyovers. Give the whole valley underneath to the ike and expand it. Same could be done with a multi level underground surface but that would require lots of digging. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I think he means West Loop as along Van Buren and Wells, which is NOT served by the Green Line.  During the rush periods without Pink service, those riders would have to transfer Green to Purple or Brown or Orange to Green.

There has also been lots of development the past few years between Ashland and Clinton.  I've seen West Loop riders from the Morgan stop go onto the Douglas branch

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The ike has already been built out to racine with concrete roadways and new ramps from the interchange so any work will be west of racine. Traffic moves good out to austin but as soon as it goes 3 lanes it's a choke point that will be most likely the focal point of the construction. They need more space how they are going to get it is the engineers problem. Remember how they were going to cap the ike. They could cap it create parkland above it raise the trains to surface level run them either at grade or create flyovers. Give the whole valley underneath to the ike and expand it. Same could be done with a multi level underground surface but that would require lots of digging. 

I thought one of the main goals in the Ike rebuild was to rid the roadway if the left lane exits at Austin and Harlem.  The freight tracks south if the CTA tracks could be key.  Can CTA GET air rights to build an elevated structure over those tracks if they stay, or van CTA get the rights to that property?  Either one would let the CTA tracks become part of the expressway where you can add one lane in each direction through Iak Park. 

OUCH !! Boy did I let the "dogs" chew me up lol 🤪

Regarding the video on Youtube had I seen the AD board with ALL line maps I would have written off my blue line theory. In my view all I see are 2 line maps (Blue and Green) ?? It's very confusing and pointless for it to be there if that's NOT where they're planning to use this series of trains 🤨

23 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

OUCH !! Boy did I let the "dogs" chew me up lol 🤪

Regarding the video on Youtube had I seen the AD board with ALL line maps I would have written off my blue line theory. In my view all I see are 2 line maps (Blue and Green) ?? It's very confusing and pointless for it to be there if that's NOT where they're planning to use this series of trains 🤨

They’re test trains they’re liable to do and go anywhere. Blue line today then turn around and run a test in your backyard tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

They’re test trains they’re liable to do and go anywhere. Blue line today then turn around and run a test in your backyard tomorrow. 

I know very well that they're testing the trains all over the system, I have been watching videos of them on YouTube for weeks now lol

My main point is why even bother to install a route map at all if its not 100% locked in which line will get these cars first ??

IMO just seems like a waste of time 

Dave

42 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

I know very well that they're testing the trains all over the system, I have been watching videos of them on YouTube for weeks now lol

My main point is why even bother to install a route map at all if its not 100% locked in which line will get these cars first ??

IMO just seems like a waste of time 

Dave

Who knows it might be the first line tested in revenue service so that could be why they have a route map. Either way it goes as discussed plenty of times as well as said by cta themselves that blue cannot take on new cars until the power is upgraded as well as the track bed stabilized outwest because these cars would heavily tax the power grid if used before the blue line is upgraded. 

Hmm crazy idea.... the power upgrades aren’t dependent on IDOT, IDOT’s main concern is west of Cicero.... what if CTA shutdown the line, completely rebuilt from Clinton to Cicero while at the same time doing a more aggressive Tamping and tie replacement west of there that lasts long enough for IDOT to figure out what they want to do which between that and the power upgrades would allow more new cars to start coming on the line. Then when IDOT knows it’s plans CTA can do its permanent rebuild west of cicero 

57 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Hmm crazy idea.... the power upgrades aren’t dependent on IDOT, IDOT’s main concern is west of Cicero.... what if CTA shutdown the line, completely rebuilt from Clinton to Cicero while at the same time doing a more aggressive Tamping and tie replacement west of there that lasts long enough for IDOT to figure out what they want to do which between that and the power upgrades would allow more new cars to start coming on the line. Then when IDOT knows it’s plans CTA can do its permanent rebuild west of cicero 

To be honest,  I really don't know if the power upgrade is an issue fie the Forest Park branch.  Peak time headway is lighter on that branch compared to the O'HARE branch..   The main issue is the track bed and the tracks haven't been replaced since that stretch was built.   Now the fleet is getting heavier as the infrastructure is getting weaker.   I suppose a power upgrade wouldn't hurt..  The outbound ride yo Forest Park is faster than the inbound ride from Forest Park. 

I don't think this will happen, but there was some talk about extending the Blue Line westward to Manheim (and possibly Oak Brook) as part of the Ike rebuild, which would go from Cicero to 25th Ave.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

To be honest,  I really don't know if the power upgrade is an issue fie the Forest Park branch.  Peak time headway is lighter on that branch compared to the O'HARE branch..   The main issue is the track bed and the tracks haven't been replaced since that stretch was built.   Now the fleet is getting heavier as the infrastructure is getting weaker.   I suppose a power upgrade wouldn't hurt..  The outbound ride yo Forest Park is faster than the inbound ride from Forest Park. 

I don't think this will happen, but there was some talk about extending the Blue Line westward to Manheim (and possibly Oak Brook) as part of the Ike rebuild, which would go from Cicero to 25th Ave.

You’re totally right that the issue on forest park is the trackbed. My suggestion was since the power is being done and that also would allow more new cars, why not split the forest park project in 2 phases to get hot to Cicero completely rebuilt while doing modest maintenance west of there. Then when the IKE rebuild happens you do the complete rebuild there. So with the new IMD turnback, you hopefully can effectively turn back more trains and only send 2600s out on the Forest Park trips. 

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The new video posted today on the Orange Line shows 7001-2 are in service for testing now. Now that means all of 7001-10 are in current active testing status.

This time an 8 car set was running pictures on facebook. 

1746857592_Screenshot_20201229-233507_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a9488e245c2b90d2b5d518ac448b121b.jpg

• Like 1

You know. I'm going to stand by my "Call" After seeing BLUE line route map on that test train @ Linden last week. I still see 7000's going to BLUE line first. IMO, Still time to upgrade tracks/power feed  to accommodate them. 

Also I could have sworn I saw a luggage rack on one of the 7000 test cars on a youtube video ??

1 hour ago, chitowndude84 said:

You know. I'm going to stand by my "Call" After seeing BLUE line route map on that test train @ Linden last week. I still see 7000's going to BLUE line first. IMO, Still time to upgrade tracks/power feed  to accommodate them. 

Also I could have sworn I saw a luggage rack on one of the 7000 test cars on a youtube video ??

it wasn’t just blue line it was all 8 line and plus those are old maps not the newer ones

On 1/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, chitowndude84 said:

Blue line won't be getting them first. The Orange line will because it has the oldest cars in the fleet. blue will probably get them last. 

On 1/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, chitowndude84 said:

I mean anything can happen but cta themselves said it’s highly unlikely lol. And apparently the forest park project being split into phase 1 which rebuilds up to IMD would kinda make what I suggested earlier a possibility. What COULD help keep blue line more modernized would be somehow using both Morgan middle and the new IMD turn back to store a lot more trains. Supposedly all 3200s will end up on the blue this year so as 7000s come in Brown and Orange might get them first. Then Howard might get 7000s which would displace 5000s to the blue who should at least have more power capacity by then. Those 5000s would only run up to IMD will the 3200s do the full route. Turnbacks would be everyday all day to help facilitate that and 3200s can just do the night cars since they’d be the only cars allowed out to desplaines

1 minute ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The comments in that video answer the question for you.

I think it's more than that. Temps in the extreme do that to the trains but it's been in the 20's at the coldest. Then that doesn't happen on the elevated because there's less snow. I was surprised to hear it there. Maybe the contact shoes are different or something. Something for the CRRC engineers to figure out. I'd be concerned with the winterization of the cars in their current state. But these are just test cars, not everything is going to work as planned.

• Like 1