8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

22 hours ago, BusHunter said:

There will be lots of novas if they exercise the options for up to 600. 400 NFs will be hard to spread around too much. Someone will probably end up all nova. Wont be chicago garage and NP doesnt have to worry it will have artic NFs for the foreseeable future. Possibly Fg and 74th could become all nova but usually fg gets the oldest buses unless they got all 7900s I dont see that happening.

You know FG gone end up with all the oldest buses 6 maybe 7 forsure not that are the golden child C naw cux they gone keep the 2000's till their on their last legs K naw cuz they gone have artics same way with NP & 3

4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

You know FG gone end up with all the oldest buses 6 maybe 7 forsure not that are the golden child C naw cux they gone keep the 2000's till their on their last legs K naw cuz they gone have artics same way with NP & 3

FG is always going to get punished the old stuff they’ve got the low numbered #1000s from late 2005 to early 2006. I remember when the #2000s were delivered in mid 2009 they’ve went to 103rd garage but never went to service there then they were sent to Chicago, 12 years ago today they’ve been out there at Chicago ever since. Chicago should give them away in my opinion it’ll sound good.

59 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

FG is always going to get punished the old stuff they’ve got the low numbered #1000s from late 2005 to early 2006. I remember when the #2000s were delivered in mid 2009 they’ve went to 103rd garage but never went to service there then they were sent to Chicago, 12 years ago today they’ve been out there at Chicago ever since. Chicago should give them away in my opinion it’ll sound good.

Naw C aint letting those go when they let them go its gone be when they retire they a give away any other buses but 1979 -2029 gone forever stay there 

I don't know if CTA has ever considered splitting an order.  Instead of awarding one manufacturer a contract for 600 buses, they could award two manufacturers a contract for 300 buses each.  United Airlines recently "split: orders for new planes between Boeing and Airbus, although Boeing gets to build more planes than Airbus.  CTA could have done a 400/200 split also.  The only reason I could come up with against a split is that there may be a bigger discount for a larger order.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if CTA has ever considered splitting an order.  Instead of awarding one manufacturer a contract for 600 buses, they could award two manufacturers a contract for 300 buses each.  United Airlines recently "split: orders for new planes between Boeing and Airbus, although Boeing gets to build more planes than Airbus.  CTA could have done a 400/200 split also.  The only reason I could come up with against a split is that there may be a bigger discount for a larger order.

Exactly why not just do a 50/50 split between Nova and New Flyer. Nova can build and deliver the first 300 while New Flyer can do the other 300, that’s still 600 new buses on order in the other hand that sounds like 2 different bus orders and it would be weird to see two different bus models with the same continuing fleet numbers. Nova is slightly gonna take a long time to deliver 600 buses exercised in this order. One thing that that is slightly going to take up to 4 years to deliver all 600 to CTA. Bought time all 600 are delivered the last 300 of the D40LFs will be 17-18 years old in 2026. New Flyer does better on delivering buses on time, they don’t waste time lol. If New Flyer won the contract to cut the cake we would seen around 200-300 buses being delivered within a year and a half in my opinion. It took only three years to deliver 1,030 of the D40LFs from 2006-2009 that’s why I wish New Flyer won the contract since they do a easy speedy delivery.

11 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Exactly why not just do a 50/50 split between Nova and New Flyer. Nova can build and deliver the first 300 while New Flyer can do the other 300, that’s still 600 new buses on order in the other hand that sounds like 2 different bus orders and it would be weird to see two different bus models with the same continuing fleet numbers. Nova is slightly gonna take a long time to deliver 600 buses exercised in this order. One thing that that is slightly going to take up to 4 years to deliver all 600 to CTA. Bought time all 600 are delivered the last 300 of the D40LFs will be 17-18 years old in 2026. New Flyer does better on delivering buses on time, they don’t waste time lol. If New Flyer won the contract to cut the cake we would seen around 200-300 buses being delivered within a year and a half in my opinion. It took only three years to deliver 1,030 of the D40LFs from 2006-2009 that’s why I wish New Flyer won the contract since they do a easy speedy delivery.

What's next, 2000 electric novabuses ??

9 minutes ago, Policeman said:

What's next, 2000 electric novabuses ??

Hey at least cta would get some buses in a timely fashion. Proterra is slower than Nova. Might just happen we'll have to see. It would be interesting to see Nova artics but really I'd like both NF and Nova artics. 

7 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Hey at least cta would get some buses in a timely fashion. Proterra is slower than Nova. Might just happen we'll have to see. It would be interesting to see Nova artics but really I'd like both NF and Nova artics. 

I’m starting to wonder if CTA always wanted to go with Nova more. Didn’t nova take a break from the US market after our 2001s got here? Cause yeah the flyers got here quicker but look how quick they went back to nova when they came back to US. I seem to remember an old topic mentioning Nova returning to the country and the only order we had around that time coming through was New Flyer so it seems like cta might have gotten so many new flyers because nova was trusted but went to Canada around the time 4400, 5300 and 5800s all but the dust and figured new flyer was trustworthy enough to just buy so many. They did have 3 series to replace after all

29 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That is true Nova delivers buses a little faster than Proterra. New Flyer does a good job out of all bus manufacturers. Only 6% of the Proterras are wrapped and is in service, it’s sad that Proterra doesn’t make BE40 models anymore, now it’s the ZX5s, they look better than the first batch to me. I think Proterra is backlogged slightly bad (my guess).

31 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Nova artics sound interesting?. When we order more artics soon that will leave Nova and New Flyer battle again for the bus contract. If Nova wins again then we will be in Nova world.

I think the "slow" delivery is by design on CTA'S part.  The idea is to spread out deliveries to reduce dependency on large orders in case funding isn't available. For large orders.  Funding might be available for smaller orders and perhaps be funded by means other than the federal government.  This also will eventually help lower the average age of the fleet over time.  Hopefully it will also avoid a large chunk of the fleet having frequent and significant  breakdowns at retirement age (like the 6000 series).