Possible Weird Bus Sightings

jesi2282

Does seem like the days of the one garage per route may be ending, especially since with the L construction, they need more buses on the North side.

One garage per route has not been an absolute for a long time. For example, you have

Addison being run by 2 (NP and FG). At one time Western was a 69th and North Park route.

As discussed recently, Foster has some trippers from North Park. Sheridan is run by

North Park and Kedzie. Way back when, there were 153's (the old Wilson-Michigan that

were primarily Limits) being helped by Keeler and possibly also 77th (extra north trips

that ran a route after doing a 3 King Drive trip into the Loop)

I would be curious to see if that Archer run is a daily thing, or if it was some sort of

emergency type of run to get a bus up north for something that might have been missed,

or just a test to see how it would work.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short answer is, North Park and Kedzie have no spare buses in the morning rush, while Archer is PM-heavy. To address overcrowding on certain North Lake Shore routes, the extra capacity from Archer was used. This will continue through at least the start of three-track, with adjustments being made until new travel patterns are settled.

<snip>and I saw #6882 on the #9 Ashland today. Werid.

This could be a sign of the 74th Garage getting its first officially-assigned low-floor buses (at least temporarily). With the Chicago Garage getting New Flyers, some of the lower-numbered NovaBus 6700s would be moved to Forest Glen, while the higher end of the 6800 range would go to 74th.

But then again, those particular bus runs might have been temporary fill-ins...

I don't have any specific information about what happens on Ashland, but it seems there are frequently sightings of "foreign" buses on the 9 (even though nothing is scheduled as such). There were reports of Kedzie-based 5300s on Ashland for a day or two back in September, and various other reports of random sightings.

As of right now, no Novas have been transferred down south. It is unlikely that Chicago or Forest Glen will be giving up any buses, as those garages (along with North Park) will have a significant increase in vehicle requirements when three-track starts. Chicago Garage's fleet assignment today is 46 buses higher than it was in December. It will likely stay that way for a while. (In fact, despite the large number of deliveries of New Flyers in the past two to three months, retirements of Flxibles and TMCs have been minimal, only about a half dozen of each, in that time period.)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. Buses get moved somehow. The only ones that get moved at least often are those TMC buses. But the others are less frequent. Like a couple of years ago when I was standing at the 103rd Garage, I'd saw a few Novas from Archer parked inside of the garage. Also around mid-2005, I saw a bus from 77th operated the 96 Lunt route.

Well this past Friday, I saw several Archer Novas operating on the 126 Jackson, 151 Sheridan, and 134 Stockton/LaSalle Express all Kedzie routes though they had Archer run numbers. Plus I saw a couple of Kedzie New Flyers running on the 135 with Kedzie run numbers. The upcoming three track construction phase just might explain this.

I saw bus #5422 parked southbound on Lincoln near the Dunkin Donuts at Addison. The bus was idling and did not have the engine cover open, so it wasn't broke down. Could North Park be getting ready to use some 5300-series Flxibles in addition to the 1000-series New Flyers they already are using?

I saw bus #5422 parked southbound on Lincoln near the Dunkin Donuts at Addison. The bus was idling and did not have the engine cover open, so it wasn't broke down. Could North Park be getting ready to use some 5300-series Flxibles in addition to the 1000-series New Flyers they already are using?

How many times does it have to be posted that Chicago Garage will be operating extras on route 11? Therefore, it is perfectly normal to see Chicago Garage buses on Lincoln, and will be for quite some time.

As for the Optima on 36, one late-night round trip on 36 is scheduled to be covered with an Optima because that run does the N201 all night afterwards.

I saw a 5800 on the 36 Broadway with what appeared to be a white bike rack. The rims were also strange, they had some red bolts and parts of the rim were painted red. Maybe this was one of the 5800's brought back to life? I didn't happen to recored the number unfortunately.

I saw a 5800 on the 36 Broadway with what appeared to be a white bike rack. The rims were also strange, they had some red bolts and parts of the rim were painted red. Maybe this was one of the 5800's brought back to life? I didn't happen to recored the number unfortunately.

the bus you have seen was North Park's Christmas bus for 2006, and it was bus # 5859

• 2 weeks later...

How about nabi 7595 on north avenue in glendale heights. quite far away from the city limits

that bus was heading to Inland Detroit Diesel. A company located in Carol Stream at North Avenue and Alexandria St. that does heavy work on the busses that South Shops does not do. I know because I've brought a bus there myself from North Park.