Possible Weird Bus Sightings

jesi2282

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw 2 6000 series buses running on the 151 Sheridan route a few days ago near Jackson and LaSalle. I think one of the bus numbers was #6023.

The two buses you saw belong to Kedzie. Long story short, as of 9/13/08 Kedzie and Chicago got 40 6000s each from 74th for the same number of 1000s, netting 74th an increase of 80 1000s (1082-1161). That would also mean if you saw for example 1095 or 1148 on a 74th route, you shouldn't be asking yourself why Chicago or Kedzie is operating buses on that route or think it's a weird sighting because the NFs in the above range no longer belong to Chicago or Kedzie.

• 2 weeks later...

This may just be a loaner from Forest Glen; I saw 6785 on #146 this morning going southbound on State at around 8:40 AM. It had a run F301.

Sounds like a supervisor probably pulled that run from another route to fill in for a run on 146 given its run number or it was just a fill-in period. I remember waiting once for a 76 Diversey at Sheridan/Diversey. The buses were so late that day that a supervisor pulled a Kedzie 151 run that ended at Belmont/Sheridan from making its deadhead trip down Lake Shore back downtown to fill in on the 76 instead.

Sounds like a supervisor probably pulled that run from another route to fill in for a run on 146 given its run number or it was just a fill-in period. I remember waiting once for a 76 Diversey at Sheridan/Diversey. The buses were so late that day that a supervisor pulled a Kedzie 151 run that ended at Belmont/Sheridan from making its deadhead trip down Lake Shore back downtown to fill in on the 76 instead.

Wow, interesting that that had happened. Maybe the sighting this morning was just a Three-Track fill-in, based on its run number being in the 300s.

Wow, interesting that that had happened. Maybe the sighting this morning was just a Three-Track fill-in, based on its run number being in the 300s.

Possible. I didn't consider it because I don't remember 146 being listed as getting extra service during Three-track. I'm not saying that it hasn't because I do remember seeing a Nova or two from FG one 145 on occasion.

• 8 months later...

Here's one I never saw before. While sitting in traffic northbound on Halsted north of Chicago, I caught sight of a southbound #8 Halsted's destination sign that read 8 HALSTED to 41st.

That's the first time I've ever seen that. I've seen short turns to the Halsted/Orange Line, but never to 41st.

Anyone know why they'd do a short turn there?

That doesn't explain this sighting though. I saw this bus going southbound at Chicago Ave. around 5 pm.
Of course, it doesn't mean that the bus was actually going there, as wrong signs are very commonplace.

Of course, again, since Halsted has been the subject of various bus unbunching experiments, anything is possible.

Of course, it doesn't mean that the bus was actually going there, as wrong signs are very commonplace.

Of course, again, since Halsted has been the subject of various bus unbunching experiments, anything is possible.

I live somewhat close to Halsted, and constantly play tennis at the courts of McGuane Park at Halsted and 29th, and I always see this run pass by the park between 5:20 PM and 5:30 PM virtually every time I've been there, so I believe this short-turn run operates everyday during the weekday; I have yet to see it on a weekend.

I live somewhat close to Halsted, and constantly play tennis at the courts of McGuane Park at Halsted and 29th, and I always see this run pass by the park between 5:20 PM and 5:30 PM virtually every time I've been there, so I believe this short-turn run operates everyday during the weekday; I have yet to see it on a weekend.

Turns out that there is a valid BusTracker variation for this route.

post-14-1245360805_thumb.jpg

Update: Apparently a short turn back to the garage.

post-14-1245366088_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the explainatons. Wonder if this is a fairly recent devlopment.

My guess is that is the easiest place to turn around without going all the way to 79th, Root street is actually south of 41st, it probably turns east on Root and terminates where the 43rd street bus sits, then turns south on Emerald, west on 42nd and back north on Halsted.

Back in the day there used to be signs that said 8 Halsted/55th. My guess was that those were short turns for buses that came out of the old Limits garage.

Back in the day there used to be signs that said 8 Halsted/55th. My guess was that those were short turns for buses that came out of the old Limits garage.

I remember seeing that sign, but on a Flx, which would tend to indicate 77th. Obviously, they could use Garfield (with its median) to turn around.

I did capture it now. But during the afternoon, even on Sunday, on Bus Tracker, you can view a #74 Fullerton westbound short turn running from Halsted to Central. (But no bus is running this route.)

(I've seen this bus on the road as well.)

This would be more pragmatic if Fullerton was a Forest Glen garage route, but it is not.

Where is it turning around? Is it going south on Central to Grand, and east on Grand to Pulaski, and then south?

post-444-1245609928_thumb.jpg

Edited by pudgym29

I didn't capture it. But during the PM rush, on Bus Tracker, you can view a #74 Fullerton westbound short turn running from Halsted to Central.

(I've seen this bus on the road as well.)

This would be more pragmatic if Fullerton was a Forest Glen garage route, but it is not.

Where is it turning around? Is it going south on Central to Grand, and east on Grand to Pulaski, and then south?

That's quite an old run actually, from at least the early 90s when 74 was still a Kedzie route before Chicago garage existed. As I recall, during the PM rush after reaching Central, the buses turned south on Central, then swung onto that short drive at Palmer that leads to Grand on the side of the Central bridge over Grand and then east onto Grand Avenue deadheading back to Kedzie. If it's still like the short turns like back in the Kedzie days, the buses now deadhead back to Chicago.