1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I spotted #1005 tonight on the #29 and it had the new LED headlights on it, like the #4300 series currently has. I wonder if this bus has already been rehabbed or is it the pilot bus for the rehabs.

It has been stated many times* that it was the prototype for the rehab, and thus why the first contract was only for 429.** You have the first visual confirmation of that.

*Starting around here, although the link to the first assertion by Kevin seems dead.

**Some of my posts may have attributed the wrong numbers to the two contracts, but we still have the Finance agenda here (Word Doc).

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I spotted #1005 tonight on the #29 and it had the new LED headlights on it, like the #4300 series currently has. I wonder if this bus has already been rehabbed or is it the pilot bus for the rehabs.

Yeah I saw that bus too I actually almost drove 1005 not too long ago but the seat wasnt properly set right it had a ridiculous lean so they just gave me another bus. But the new headlights look cool don't they lol, I too wanna know when will the rehab start. I saw a group of buses lined up in the back of 103rd where the old NABI's were today and I was wondering were they starting the rehab on them yet. I'll try to find out if I can and keep you all posted.

It has been stated many times that it was the prototype for the rehab, and thus why the first contract was only for 429. You have the first visual confirmation of that.

It didn't look like it had any LED interior lights (I believe CTA said they were going to do that, unless I'm thinking of the #3200's rehab) The only thing i noticed different was the headlights. Even the paint job was unchanged like it hadn't been repainted recently. Maybe their just trying out the headlights, but that's nothing new #909 and #1159 are supposed to have LED headlights, but for some reason these look different, more purplish blue in them, like there from another manufacturer. The color is the same as the #1700 interior lights that same shade.

Yeah I saw that bus too I actually almost drove 1005 not too long ago but the seat wasnt properly set right it had a ridiculous lean so they just gave me another bus. But the new headlights look cool don't they lol, I too wanna know when will the rehab start. I saw a group of buses lined up in the back of 103rd where the old NABI's were lined up today and I was wondering were they starting the rehabs on them yet. I'll try to find out if I can and keep you all posted.

Thanks. Since the contracts have been let, I suppose that it should get going. Obviously, being in the garage, you are in the best position to say when, and 103rd does have the ones at the bottom of the fleet order.

• 3 months later...

New LED's will be put inside the buses to replace the fluorescent lighting and current LED lighting. I wonder based on the Press Release title if the mid-life overhauls even began yet... Link

The lighting work would be performed as part of the overhauls, which have begun in recent weeks and are expected to continue through spring 2015.

Sounds like work is just starting to get underway.

The question is how do they expect to rehab 1,030 buses in less than two years.

It's actually 1,029. My question is which bus is left out... 1005 as mentioned in the past for whatever reason, or 1482 because of the damage and the fact it's been sitting for several years at 77th. They said 6/week, so that means in one year's time, 312 will be rehabbed and in two years time, only 624. In three, 936, so you figure this rehab will take three and a half years unless they up that number out of service. Now if they put 10 out of service per week, they'll finish in under two years.

That brings me to the 20 DE40LF model buses... I guess those buses will not be rehabbed and will be retired earlier than the D40LF model buses.

...so you figure this rehab will take three and a half years unless they up that number out of service. Now if they put 10 out of service per week, they'll finish in under two years....

Since it is a midlife rehab, it wouldn't make any sense to do some at 7 years of age and others at 5.

It's actually 1,029. My question is which bus is left out... 1005 as mentioned in the past for whatever reason, or 1482 because of the damage and the fact it's been sitting for several years at 77th. They said 6/week, so that means in one year's time, 312 will be rehabbed and in two years time, only 624. In three, 936, so you figure this rehab will take three and a half years unless they up that number out of service. Now if they put 10 out of service per week, they'll finish in under two years.

That brings me to the 20 DE40LF model buses... I guess those buses will not be rehabbed and will be retired earlier than the D40LF model buses.

They might get rehab after the 40-ft diesels are complete. Then again, would CTA go through the expense of rehabing 20 buses out of a nearly 2,000+ bus fleet?

Since it is a midlife rehab, it wouldn't make any sense to do some at 7 years of age and others at 5.

If they rehab in the order they were received and can keep pace as far as age, (rehabbing all buses at the same age) they could probably be done in just over 3 years that's how long it took to receive the #1000's series. But if you look at past CTA rehabs (#6000 rehab dates on page 5 under CTA bus, #6000 lifetime assignments...) it took them five years to rehab those and that was only 284 buses.

Funny, I thought buses in options 1& 2 were the only ones getting the gut rehabs.

You should have pulled the specs at the time. There were two sets of specs.

And, of course, there is the base of 200+ before you get to option 1.

But they did add up to 1029.

Funny, I thought buses in options 1& 2 were the only ones getting the gut rehabs.

As I understand the original Press Release, all 1,029(now 1,030) will be getting a "gut rehab", which means everything except the original frames will be replaced. They want to give the CTA passengers a "like new" bus fleet with this rehab. Maybe that's why they are only doing 6 per week, as it probably takes half a week to strip down and rebuild three and the other half of the week to rebuild the other three.

As I understand the original Press Release, all 1,029(now 1,030) will be getting a "gut rehab", which means everything except the original frames will be replaced. They want to give the CTA passengers a "like new" bus fleet with this rehab. Maybe that's why they are only doing 6 per week, as it probably takes half a week to strip down and rebuild three and the other half of the week to rebuild the other three.

Or maybe the PR department goofed. It either goofed then or now.

They might get rehab after the 40-ft diesels are complete. Then again, would CTA go through the expense of rehabing 20 buses out of a nearly 2,000+ bus fleet?

1850 bus fleet,* and maybe the engines in the hybrids are not as gunked up as in the straight diesels. In any event, wouldn't be on the same spec.

___

*Corrected to reflect the 100 added for Red Line substitute service.

How slow can they be.At this pace 2 and half years to do all of then.Doesn't make any sense.

If you look at my prior post, it makes perfect sense. As BusHunter pointed out, it took 3 years to deliver them.

What do you want; half the buses off the street at a time?

Or maybe the PR department goofed. It either goofed then or now.

1850 bus fleet,* and maybe the engines in the hybrids are not as gunked up as in the straight diesels. In any event, wouldn't be on the same spec.

___

*Corrected to reflect the 100 added for Red Line substitute service.

If you look at my prior post, it makes perfect sense. As BusHunter pointed out, it took 3 years to deliver them.

What do you want; half the buses off the street at a time?

I was thinking at a rate of 20 a week.If Claypool claims they will save money on it and of course taking credit for all the jobs it will create.

I was thinking at a rate of 20 a week.If Claypool claims they will save money on it and of course taking credit for all the jobs it will create.

You still have to balance in the fact that a significant number of the 1000s are only 5 years old compared to 7 for the oldest of them. Plus there is the added factor that a good chunk of the artics are tied up now as Red Line shuttles and they're still going to need buses available for increased service on surrounding bus routes that connect with or operate near the Red Line while that rebuild project is still ongoing. So you have other reasons why about 6 per week being rehabbed makes sense.

You still have to balance in the fact that a significant number of the 1000s are only 5 years old compared to 7 for the oldest of them. Plus there is the added factor that a good chunk of the artics are tied up now as Red Line shuttles and they're still going to need buses available for increased service on surrounding bus routes that connect with or operate near the Red Line while that rebuild project is still ongoing. So you have other reasons why about 6 per week being rehabbed makes sense.

While some of the buses might be only 5 years old.Reality is they still have plenty of miles on then.I'm sure they need new tires and brakes along with other things.'

While some of the buses might be only 5 years old.Reality is they still have plenty of miles on then.I'm sure they need new tires and brakes along with other things.'

But that seems to have nothing to do with the rehab. For instance, the tires are leased. Stuff like brakes are supposed to be inspected on a periodic basis. This is for stuff like replacement engines, transmissions, and frame inspection.

I bet it gets down to that the bus needs something like 250,000 miles and 6 years. The last 3 options haven't reached it yet. Do you want CTA to have to pay for another midlife rehab for a bus with a 3 year service life?

Finally, if it is federal money, there are federal guidelines, not your guess.

But that seems to have nothing to do with the rehab. For instance, the tires are leased. Stuff like brakes are supposed to be inspected on a periodic basis. This is for stuff like replacement engines, transmissions, and frame inspection.

I bet it gets down to that the bus needs something like 250,000 miles and 6 years. The last 3 options haven't reached it yet. Do you want CTA to have to pay for another midlife rehab for a bus with a 3 year service life?

Finally, if it is federal money, there are federal guidelines, not your guess.

When i said other things i try avoid doing a rant of typeing all the different things.