Shuttle Bugs

Busjack

4 hours ago, west towns said:

Death sentence extended ?

Hearing results page says it was tabled for a month.

Video on this starts about :37. There is an explanation that the RTA wanted it as a demonstration whether Lake Cook could be replicated, hence the intergovernmental agreement point. While the agreement was with the RTA and Hamilton Partners, a couple of tenant companies continued their shuttles.

You can look for yourself, but it basically got down to the Chairman saying that someone has to do outreach to the two companies to get them to use the Pace bus, Director Shepley* saying that was backwards in that Pace provides public transportation and if the contract is over, that's it, and Director Mariucci saying he'll get back to the DuPage people and moved to table it for a month. Apparently 30 riders commented that they wanted the bus, but the service standard was 60.

*I hope I got the names right.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

Hearing results page says it was tabled for a month.

Video on this starts about :37. There is an explanation that the RTA wanted it as a demonstration whether Lake Cook could be replicated, hence the intergovernmental agreement point. While the agreement was with the RTA and Hamilton Partners, a couple of tenant companies continued their shuttles.

You can look for yourself, but it basically got down to the Chairman saying that someone has to do outreach to the two companies to get them to use the Pace bus, Director Shepley* saying that was backwards in that Pace provides public transportation and if the contract is over, that's it, and Director Mariucci saying he'll get back to the DuPage people and moved to table it for a month. Apparently 30 riders commented that they wanted the bus, but the service standard was 60.

*I hope I got the names right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that 60 riders for the day (morning and night) or 60 in the morning and 60 in the evening?  If it's for the day, then say you have 3 buses running in the morning and 3 buses in the evening.  That amounts to 10 riders per bus, which is feasible.  But if you're talking 60 in the a.m. and 60 p.m., then you're talking 20 riders per bus, which to me wouldn't seem realistic.  It's almost as if Pace is wanting to get rid of the shuttle bugs because they really aren't making any money off of them.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rotjohns said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that 60 riders for the day (morning and night) or 60 in the morning and 60 in the evening?  If it's for the day, then say you have 3 buses running in the morning and 3 buses in the evening.  That amounts to 10 riders per bus, which is feasible.  But if you're talking 60 in the a.m. and 60 p.m., then you're talking 20 riders per bus, which to me wouldn't seem realistic.  It's almost as if Pace is wanting to get rid of the shuttle bugs because they really aren't making any money off of them.  

I'm sure 60 total rides, as the usual metric is unlinked trips, and there was a reference to Ventra taps by Invesco employees.

Pace doesn't make any money off of anything (except vanpool), but as has been frequently pointed out in these contexts, either it makes service standards (something like half the 36% recovery ratio) or someone has to subsidize it. Again, Marcucci made some offhand comment about Amazon asking for a bus, but if Amazon isn't paying for it and it isn't making recovery ratio, it isn't going to run for too long (notwithstanding that the RTA Act has a South Cook Job Access account).

If what RTA was trying to replicate was Lake Cook, that fills up some 40 foot buses as well as some 30 foot ones, and there was a comment in the video that Metra pays 25% of the cost, while Metra wasn't paying anything for this. Again, those such as most recently 625 and 640 were cut or restructured.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...