3300's On Green Line

trainman8119

And over the past two days, I have seen units as low as 3319-3320 and as high as 3443-3444 (those two cars with roof boards still installed, which once held pantographs from their original assignment on the Yellow Line/Skokie Swift) on the Green Line.

In addition, around Noon today I saw 3447-3448 (in addition to 3377-3378), as well as one pair of 2400s (2403-2404) from the 2401-2410 group normally assigned to the Purple Line, at the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line.

So this makes at least two pairs of the former Skokie-equipped 3400s now assigned to the Green Line (or at least running on that line on a loaner basis).

In addition, around Noon today I saw 3447-3448 (in addition to 3377-3378), as well as one pair of 2400s (2403-2404) from the 2401-2410 group normally assigned to the Purple Line, at the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line.

So this makes at least two pairs of the former Skokie-equipped 3400s now assigned to the Green Line (or at least running on that line on a loaner basis).

Today, I have seen what I believe are the CTA's planned future rail equipment assignments effective the day that 8-car operation on the Brown Line officially begins and the Yellow Line officially begins regularly-scheduled weekend service for the first time in over a decade. In this not-yet-confirmed switch, I am predicting that the Brown and Yellow Lines would receive some of the Red Line's 2600s, while the Red Line would receive some of the Green Line 2400s. And all 16 of the roof-board-equipped 3200s (3441-3456) would be officially assigned to the Green Line (along with a few of the Brown Line 3200s). At least this is my prediction (though no firm confirmation has surfaced as of yet).

As of today, eight of the roof-board-equipped 3400s (3441-3448) are on the Green Line. I rode on car 3442 eastbound. I had to rely on the automated announcement as to which branch the 4-car consist -- 3442-3441-3377-3378 -- was headed towards; in this case (departing Harlem/Lake at around 12:30pm), it was headed to the East 63rd (aka "Jackson Park") branch. Along the way I also saw a westbound (Harlem-bound) 4-car train of all roof-board-equipped 3400s (3445-3446-3444-3443), also with the makeshift (temporary) Green Line destination signs hung over the ends of the train. (The 3300s/3400s assigned to the Green Line are currently on a rotating basis; for example, unit 3319-3320, which ran on the Green Line last week, is now back on the Brown Line.)

On an unrelated note, I saw at least four 3100s (from the 2600 series) running on the Pink Line: 3127-3128 a few days ago; 3129-3130 today. Officially, 3001-3022 are assigned to the Pink Line (along with cars 2201-2222 of the 2200 series) -- but a few additional cars drawn from the Blue Line fleet are also assigned to the Pink Line as needed.

• 1 month later...

Update:

With the advent of 8-car trains on the Brown Line, the Green Line is back to running entirely with 2400-series cars -- at least until this coming weekend, when additional service will be added to the line to make up for the suspended Blue Line service to the Cermak (Douglas) branch. At that point, expect a few 2600-series cars to be temporarily shared between the Blue, Pink and Green Lines. (The Brown Line needs all of their 3200s that they can get their hands on.)

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I was waiting for a Green Line train at Clark and Lake. I saw a NB Brown Line train approaching. At the same time I saw a SB train (3400 series) with Brown Line Kimball signage entering the station. I wondered what was going on with two brown line trains entering the same station from different directions? As it turned out, the SB train was a six car consist (the NB was a 4 car consist, consistent with Brown Line trains yesterday). The SB train was actually a Green Line train to Ashland/63. For whatever reason, the Green Line was running 6 car trains and the Orange Line was running 8 car trains on Christmas Day. Anyway, what is going on on the Green Line, since I also saw the 2600s on that line also. Are the 2400s getting to such a bad state that Brown Line cars are being borrowed on a holiday?

My initial thinking was when the 5000s arrive for revenue service, the Blue Line would receive them to first swap out 2200s, then once they were gone, they would swap out 2600s and the 2600s would then go to the Green Line. But now I wonder if there would be a simultaneous swap. For example, 8 5000s goo to Blue Line, 4 2200s retire, 4 2600s go to Green Line to retire 4 2400s.

Today it's been yet another weekend in which I have seen at least one 3400-series train operating in revenue service on the Green Line. The cars on that train (I was unlucky to be riding a westbound 2400-series train) were 3401-02, 3441-42 and 3449-50. 3401-02 (the lead unit of that east/southbound train) displayed the correct Green Line destination sign (it was a run at that time to Ashland/63), but 3441-42 and 3449-50 displayed Purple Line destination signs (Loop). Several other 3300s and 3400s were laid up in the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line.

When the 5000s arrive on CTA property in full swing later this year, I still cannot predict where the 2600s and 3200s will go. So far (judging by the testing thus far), it looks like most of the 5000s will go to the Red Line. And judging by the temporary equipment moves, it is (so far) looking like the Green Line may be entirely re-equipped with the 3300s and 3400s while the Purple, Brown and Blue Lines may very well get most of the Red Line's 2600s. But then again, nothing's for sure at the CTA; it's all speculation on my part.

Today it's been yet another weekend in which I have seen at least one 3400-series train operating in revenue service on the Green Line. The cars on that train (I was unlucky to be riding a westbound 2400-series train) were 3401-02, 3441-42 and 3449-50. 3401-02 (the lead unit of that east/southbound train) displayed the correct Green Line destination sign (it was a run at that time to Ashland/63), but 3441-42 and 3449-50 displayed Purple Line destination signs (Loop). Several other 3300s and 3400s were laid up in the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line.

When the 5000s arrive on CTA property in full swing later this year, I still cannot predict where the 2600s and 3200s will go. So far (judging by the testing thus far), it looks like most of the 5000s will go to the Red Line. And judging by the temporary equipment moves, it is (so far) looking like the Green Line may be entirely re-equipped with the 3300s and 3400s while the Purple, Brown and Blue Lines may very well get most of the Red Line's 2600s. But then again, nothing's for sure at the CTA; it's all speculation on my part.

The 3300 and 3400 series you are referring are technically 3200 series but im pretty sure you knew that you were just talking about the higher number 3200 series but you do make a interesting theory about most of the 5000's going to the Red Line. I would think they would mostly go to the Blue Line to get rid of the 2200's also I would believe if they did (the 5000's) go to the Redline then the green line would probably in my opinion get re equipped with the 2600 series and the 3200's would remain on the Brown and Orange lines. What do you think?

The 3300 and 3400 series you are referring are technically 3200 series but im pretty sure you knew that you were just talking about the higher number 3200 series but you do make a interesting theory about most of the 5000's going to the Red Line. I would think they would mostly go to the Blue Line to get rid of the 2200's also I would believe if they did (the 5000's) go to the Redline then the green line would probably in my opinion get re equipped with the 2600 series and the 3200's would remain on the Brown and Orange lines. What do you think?

Anything can happen.

Also, the last time more than 80 cars were transferred directly from line to line all simultaneously came in 1996 when the Green Line reopened (in this instance, a group of 2400-series cars went from the Red Line to the Green Line).

When the 5000s arrive in mass numbers, the other equipment will likely get moved around in small groups at a time. At this point it could very well be that the Brown and Green Lines may operate with a mixed fleet of 2600- and 3200-series fleet for a time (or, if the Green Line were to have only 2600-series cars, then the assignments may not be in numerical order for some time).

I wonder if anyone's thought to put the #5000's on the same line as a line with #3200's. This way it would give the illusion that they have more new cars than they have. With both cars looking virtually the same on the outside except for the destination/run number signs. You could entirely equip bigger lines with newer looking cars like the red line or blue.

At first, I couldn't figure out your post, in that lines that have 3200s now are pretty much all 3200s.

However, it seems like what you are suggesting is pulling the 3200s off the Orange and Brown and putting them on the Red and Blue. I wonder how the reality of that would go over with the riders on the Orange and Brown Lines, who presumably would get 2600s for 3200s, even if they can't figure out the illusions.

At first, I couldn't figure out your post, in that lines that have 3200s now are pretty much all 3200s.

However, it seems like what you are suggesting is pulling the 3200s off the Orange and Brown and putting them on the Red and Blue. I wonder how the reality of that would go over with the riders on the Orange and Brown Lines, who presumably would get 2600s for 3200s, even if they can't figure out the illusions.

LOL Busjack you are awesome!! If you ask me im pretty sure the orange line riders would know if the 3200's were switched if you pay attention to the 2600's 3200's and 5000's they dont look that much alike in reality they have a significant amount of differences, Just their exteriors alone are many thing to point out. am I right BusJack?

• Upvote 1

Again, I believe the first 318 of the 406 5000s will go to the Blue Line, first to rid it of the 2200s. Once the 2200s are gone, I believe subsequent 5000s will replace 2600s which would go to the Green Line replacing 2400s at which point aabout 88 cars from the 5000s would remain. They could go to the Red Line and its upper 2600s could replace Purple Line 2400s. I just don't see the 3200s leaaving the Orange, Brown, or Yellow Lines at all. This way, if a second wave of 5000s were to come, the Red Line would continue to get them and the oldest 2600s would go away (which the oldest 2600s are on the Red Line anyway). A Red Line extension to 130th may slow down the process only if that project gets off the ground sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This evening on my way home, I spotted the 3200 Series rail cars @ Clark/Lake. I was about 2 catch it but damn it I missed it cause just as I got through the doors to the platform, the train doors closed & the train pulled off.

That's awesome!! But are you sure it wasn't just an orange or Brown Line train based on the direction they were heading in at Clark/Lake unless Their signs had the "Not In Service" on them because I dont think the 3200's have the Green Lines destination signs on them. Well at least the last time they were on the Green Line they didn't hav them.

That's awesome!! But are you sure it wasn't just an orange or Brown Line train based on the direction they were heading in at Clark/Lake unless Their signs had the "Not In Service" on them because I dont think the 3200's have the Green Lines destination signs on them. Well at least the last time they were on the Green Line they didn't hav them.

To my recollection, the only other line other than the Green Line that has Green Line signage are the Blue Line trains (maybe Pink, too). Hence this is why you never seen Green Line signage on the 3200s. None of the Red Line trains have them either.

To my recollection, the only other line other than the Green Line that has Green Line signage are the Blue Line trains (maybe Pink, too). Hence this is why you never seen Green Line signage on the 3200s. None of the Red Line trains have them either.

Well actually it's not necessarily the "lines" that have or dont have the green line signs its the train series. The 22, 24, and 2600 series actually have all rail line colors and destination signs for the exception of the 3200 series. I even seen a Red Line train eariler today pulling in 95th station with The Green Line's 63/Ashland sign on all 8 cars the front car even had the Green headlights.

The destination sign read "Harlem".

Well actually it's not necessarily the "lines" that have or dont have the green line signs its the train series. The 22, 24, and 2600 series actually have all rail line colors and destination signs for the exception of the 3200 series. I even seen a Red Line train eariler today pulling in 95th station with The Green Line's 63/Ashland sign on all 8 cars the front car even had the Green headlights.

I don't think that's correct. IIRC, all rolls have some common terminals (95th; Howard, both Red Line) in the same place, but some rolls are basically Red-Purple-Brown-Orange, and others are essentially Blue-Green-Pink, given that the maximum on any roll is 15 readings. That was discussed in this thread, with some pictures.

I don't think that's correct. IIRC, all rolls have some common terminals (95th; Howard, both Red Line) in the same place, but some rolls are basically Red-Purple-Brown-Orange, and others are essentially Blue-Green-Pink, given that the maximum on any roll is 15 readings. That was discussed in this thread, with some pictures.

Some, but not all, of the 3200s have the correct Green Line signs. The rolls that are common to the Brown, Orange and Red Lines have sets for either the Purple Line or the Green Line.

Some, but not all, of the 3200s have the correct Green Line signs. The rolls that are common to the Brown, Orange and Red Lines have sets for either the Purple Line or the Green Line.

This is why sometimes when you see a Purple Line Express using Red Line equipment that the black "Express" sign is used. Otherwise, some cars would display "Linden" or "Loop" for the Purple Line while others display "Harlem" or "Ashland/63" for the Green Line. It would be too confusing for the passengers and the signal people at Tower 12. The only route signs that appear in all four of the current roller curtains in the same spot are "Howard" and "95th" for the Red Line.

This evening on my way home, I spotted the 3200 Series rail cars @ Clark/Lake. I was about 2 catch it but damn it I missed it cause just as I got through the doors to the platform, the train doors closed & the train pulled off.

The destination sign read "Harlem".

This has been occurring - on and off - for the past several years. Since the Brown Line's yard at Kimball still does not have enough capacity to store all of its cars, and that the Brown Line does not need as many cars on weekends, some of its cars are laid up on either of the Green Line's yards (at Harlem and at Racine/63rd) on weekends (and are occasionally run in Green Line revenue service whenever that line falls short on operable 2400s on any of those days). Many of the 3200s that are laid up on the Green rather than the Brown Line on weekends are those 16 cars (#3441-3456) which are still equipped with roof boards which once held pantographs for the Yellow Line (which used overhead wire on the western end of the route until 2004).