Incorrectly Programmed Destination Signs

cta_44499_FG

Yes the new enhancements for X49, X55 and X80 would be it. That would involve creating new runs that have to be programmed into the CD, which indirectly involves the destination signs since the bus operators sign into the Clever Device/Luminator systems in part with the run number and their badge numbers. Putting their run number affects what's displayed on the destination sign.
However, unless there are new terminals, that shouldn't affect what readings are in the sign (i.e. X49 Western Express to Berwyn should still be AF63 or whatever).

I suspect other changes at that pick.

The X-route changes won't require any new destination signs. Updating Clever Devices with new run information happens every pick (in fact, more often than that), regardless of whether any destination signs are updated.

The sign updates for the pick involve a few minor changes and a couple of new short-turn signs.

The X-route changes won't require any new destination signs. Updating Clever Devices with new run information happens every pick (in fact, more often than that), regardless of whether any destination signs are updated.

The sign updates for the pick involve a few minor changes and a couple of new short-turn signs.

Oh ok. I was referring to the operator putting in his/her run number as part of his sign-in and the destination sign knowing which route gets displayed for that run. That's why I put CD or Luminator since I couldn't remember which was directly involved.

Anyone notice the problems occurring on 156 LaSalle? Seems like most of the buses have gone back to old signage displaying 156 LASALLE BELMONT...156 HALSTED. Also, seems like someone programmed the wrong font size for the Belmont/Sheridan trips because only half the words are shown.

Also, seems like someone programmed the wrong font size for the Belmont/Sheridan trips because only half the words are shown.

Probably because they are making all of these silly money wasting bus movements

all over town again...why worry about something as trivial as an incorrect destination

sign. Heck, at least it lights up, right ???

...Also, seems like someone programmed the wrong font size for the Belmont/Sheridan trips because only half the words are shown.

...Heck, at least it lights up, right ???

And, undoubtedly, the font size meets ADA requirements.

Maybe the publishing industry has taken over. The content is not relevant, so long as there are plenty of color pictures in the print version, and the web version has plenty of frames in the browser. :lol:

Also, the way I am starting to look at things, if a vehicle seen at a distance has a big orange light near the top, it is probably a bus. Which is more than you can expect these days.

Also, the way I am starting to look at things, if a vehicle seen at a distance has a big orange light near the top, it is probably a bus. Which is more than you can expect these days.

That's the only way I can tell with my relatively bad eyes. I've been tricked by viaducts though!

I wonder what damn light the bus is stopped at. But wait, it's moving. No... Oh it's a viaduct! Is it? Wait! No it is.

:lol:

Probably because they are making all of these silly money wasting bus movements

all over town again...why worry about something as trivial as an incorrect destination

sign. Heck, at least it lights up, right ???

If it lights up of course. We do have relatively new buses that alreay cant even do that. :huh:

• 4 months later...

:rolleyes:

Hi Folks;

This should really be considered an incorrectly programmed announcement.

I was riding Novabus #6421 this morning [7/30/09] northbound on route #1 when I heard an

announcement stating "this is a clean air hybrid bus purchased with federal stimulus funds".

Obviously someone goofed. :lol:

Gene King

:rolleyes:

Hi Folks;

This should really be considered an incorrectly programmed announcement.

I was riding Nova bus #6421 this morning [7/30/09] northbound on route #1 when I heard an announcement stating "this is a clean air hybrid bus purchased with federal stimulus funds".

Obviously someone goofed. :lol:

Someone really goofed, because I heard the same announcement on Flxible bus #6171 on route #77 Belmont eastbound yesterday.

• 3 months later...

Whoever programs the signs needs to learn how to spell street names. I saw a NF on the #86 today who's sign read "TO DEVON/NAGEL"...It should be NAGLE. Must be the same person who decided KIMBALL should be spelled with only one L.

Those '82 KIMBAL/HOMAN' signs are relics from the older electronic destination signs from the Americanas and other older model buses only accomodating 15 characters and not a careless typo as mentioned above. Later 82 signs ended up appearing as '82KIMBALL/HOMAN' to deal with the missing L. It's similar to the prior discussions of those old signs with '14 EXPRESS', '147 EXPRESS', etc.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old, old topic, but I have a question that seems to fit here.

I was driving on Pulaski earlier this evening and I saw a southbound 53 with a destination that read 53 PULASKI {flip} TO 31/KOSTNER. They normally read 53 PULASKI/31. I've seen this a couple times before at different times of the day.

Nothing on the CTA website or Bus Tracker indicate the route ever terminates at Kostner. Faulty programming? Or is there some sort of supplemental service not listed on the schedule?

I was driving on Pulaski earlier this evening and I saw a southbound 53 with a destination that read 53 PULASKI {flip} TO 31/KOSTNER. They normally read 53 PULASKI/31. I've seen this a couple times before at different times of the day.

Nothing on the CTA website or Bus Tracker indicate the route ever terminates at Kostner. Faulty programming? Or is there some sort of supplemental service not listed on the schedule?

The loop is at 31-Komensky [which is reflected in the schedule], so it appears to be a 0.4 mile error (Google Map). Only listed stop on 31st is the Komensky terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that that sign would still be programmed in if that's the case. But it still sounds almost as minor as northbound 50 Damen buses still displaying after all these years '50 DAMEN' flip '50 TO ASH/CLARK' when the buses terminate at Edgewater about a couple hundred feet (if that much) south of the point that Clark and Ashland merge or 36 and 151 buses displaying 'TO DEVON/CLARK' when the terminal is at Clark/Arthur. While we're on the subtopic of CTA buses showing a more well known main street as a terminus over a sometimes lesser known side street where the buses actually terminate, we still have the various east west routes that display Harlem when they actually terminate at Neva or Nordica, as mentioned WB 73 buses that display Laramie in lieu of Grand/Latrobe, and NB #148 buses which display 'TO FOSTER/MARINE' when actually that got shaved back to Winona apparently due to not securing parking restrictions in front of the highrise at Foster and Marine to permanently facilitate bus stops that were on Marine Drive at Foster.

Interesting that that sign would still be programmed in if that's the case. But it still sounds almost as minor as northbound 50 Damen buses still displaying after all these years '50 DAMEN' flip '50 TO ASH/CLARK' when the buses terminate at Edgewater about a couple hundred feet (if that much) south of the point that Clark and Ashland merge or 36 and 151 buses displaying 'TO DEVON/CLARK' when the terminal is at Clark/Arthur. While we're on the subtopic of CTA buses showing a more well known main street as a terminus over a sometimes lesser known side street where the buses actually terminate, we still have the various east west routes that display Harlem when they actually terminate at Neva or Nordica, as mentioned WB 73 buses that display Laramie in lieu of Grand/Latrobe, and NB #148 buses which display 'TO FOSTER/MARINE' when actually that got shaved back to Winona apparently due to not securing parking restrictions in front of the highrise at Foster and Marine to permanently facilitate bus stops that were on Marine Drive at Foster.

Most of these are trivial, as I doubt that anyone would know a terminal that was a side street a couple of hundred feet from a main street. Most of these are historical, although among 36 and 151 there were variations whether it was Devon-Ash or Devon-Clark.

Rereading the thread, I would tend to go along with See's explanation that the 53 one might refer to Little Village Academy.

Most of these are trivial, as I doubt that anyone would know a terminal that was a side street a couple of hundred feet from a main street. Most of these are historical, although among 36 and 151 there were variations whether it was Devon-Ash or Devon-Clark.

Rereading the thread, I would tend to go along with See's explanation that the 53 one might refer to Little Village Academy.

I think I made the point that they were trivial sir. And in some ways the 53 one is trivial in that you're still seeing the Komensky/31st loop served either way as far as buses still having to pass it and the difference we're talking about being two or three blocks beyond that point.

There is a high school at 31st/Kostner. Perhaps there are some school trips that go there. I wonder if the 53 A serves it with school trips as well.