Incorrectly Programmed Destination Signs

cta_44499_FG

I think I made the point that they were trivial sir. And in some ways the 53 one is trivial in that you're still seeing the Komensky/31st loop served either way as far as buses still having to pass it and the difference we're talking about being two or three blocks beyond that point.

There's a bit of a difference between showing Devon (a street many have heard of and are somewhat familiar with) instead of Arthur (a street many probably have not heard of, and probably wouldn't have a clue of where it was), a difference of basically one block (and all buses do serve Devon, whether or not they continue to the Arthur terminal), and a bus showing Kostner, which is a full half mile beyond the actual bus terminal. The buses showing Pulaski-31st (instead of Komensky) is trivial. Showing Kostner instead of Komensky is not.

As I noted earlier, the Kostner signs were programmed for the extension of certain rush hour trips during the school year to Little Village. A bus showing that sign when not going to Little Village is just a run-of-the-mill wrong sign situation.

How about the 8 Halsted which has destination signs for Broadway, Addison, and Waveland. The funny thing is all three are referencing the same terminal

Technically, only Waveland or Bradley Pl (if it is marked) would be correct, except that it goes via Broadway between Bradley Pl. and Addison. Addison would be a couple of blocks short, unless some trips short turn there.

Technically, only Waveland or Bradley Pl (if it is marked) would be correct, except that it goes via Broadway between Bradley Pl. and Addison. Addison would be a couple of blocks short, unless some trips short turn there.

I have never seen one signed for Addison. It's only 1 block south of Waveland, so short turning there wouldn't make any sense. I've seen some signed for Broadway and others for Waveland. I suppose either one would be technically correct since the turnaround is just north of Waveland, and buses enter it on Halsted and exit it on Broadway before turning onto Waveland to go back to Halsted.

Another oddity I've seen is some #80 Irving Park buses are signed for LAKESHORE (not LAKESHORE DR like Addison buses), while others are signed for Broadway, which might suggest to some that the Broadway ones don't go all the way to Lake Shore Dr. to loop back west.

I remember some 15-20 years ago or so, seeing a 4400 series bus a couple of times on the #52 Kedzie/California with a destination sign that read 52 CALIFORNIA {flip} ADDISON when the normal read would have been ROSCOE..A harbinger of things to come some 15-20 years later perhaps?

Another one is the #9 Ashland which reads 9 ASHALND {flip} to IRVING PK, when it actually goes 2 blocks east on Irving to end their runs on Clark between Belle Plaine and Southport.

Another one is the #9 Ashland which reads 9 ASHALND {flip} to IRVING PK, when it actually goes 2 blocks east on Irving to end their runs on Clark between Belle Plaine and Southport.

That one has been since the digital signs became prevalent.

The more bizarre one was X9 Ashland Express/Irving Park/Red Line Station, while technically the Red Line station was Sheridan. But now that X9 is dead, moot.

There's a bit of a difference between showing Devon (a street many have heard of and are somewhat familiar with) instead of Arthur (a street many probably have not heard of, and probably wouldn't have a clue of where it was), a difference of basically one block (and all buses do serve Devon, whether or not they continue to the Arthur terminal), and a bus showing Kostner, which is a full half mile beyond the actual bus terminal. The buses showing Pulaski-31st (instead of Komensky) is trivial. Showing Kostner instead of Komensky is not.

As I noted earlier, the Kostner signs were programmed for the extension of certain rush hour trips during the school year to Little Village. A bus showing that sign when not going to Little Village is just a run-of-the-mill wrong sign situation.

Granted but if you look at the full context of my post I meant trivial during the ten months out of the year that sign would be valid. And since the 35 now rolls through there what few people may be on a Pulaski bus expecting to go to Kostner isn't going to be stranded either way at the time the bus with the wayward sign was spotted.

As for the NB readings on the 8 Halsted, the model bus plays a role of which sign one is given to see. If it's a Nova expect to see '8 to Waveland' and if it's a NF you'll see '8 to Broadway'.

As for the NB readings on the 8 Halsted, the model bus plays a role of which sign one is given to see. If it's a Nova expect to see '8 to Waveland' and if it's a NF you'll see '8 to Broadway'.

Apparently they can't sync up the programs on the Twinvisions and Luminators.

Apparently they can't sync up the programs on the Twinvisions and Luminators.

That was my thought also the first time I noticed that each of those models showed a different destination reading going northbound when assigned to that route. I believe the Waveland sign appeared a few times here and there on either the 6000s or the 4400s when those were still in use but I can't remember which. But it's definitely always shown up on Novas when assigned to the 8 Halsted.

...I remember some 15-20 years ago or so, seeing a 4400 series bus a couple of times on the #52 Kedzie/California with a destination sign that read 52 CALIFORNIA {flip} ADDISON when the normal read would have been ROSCOE..A harbinger of things to come some 15-20 years later perhaps?...

I walked across California & Addison daily during those years. The "52 CALIFORNIA {flip} ADDISON" were for school runs to Gordon Tech and dropped them off in the morning in front of the high school in earlier years and then on California at the SE corner with Addison later on. In the afternoon, one or two buses would be waiting on California at the NW corner with Addison. CTA even had front and rear door entry with a supervisor collecting fares for the back door back then. At some point the students had to walk to (north of)ROSCOE terminal - that is until this year.

I walked across California & Addison daily during those years. The "52 CALIFORNIA {flip} ADDISON" were for school runs to Gordon Tech and dropped them off in the morning in front of the high school in earlier years and then on California at the SE corner with Addison later on. ...

That's what surprised me. The bus supposedly stopped short (marked Roscoe, but apparently the turnaround was a block or two north), and then, when it was rerouted a couple of months ago, CTA didn't promote that it was serving Gordon Tech.

Same scenario as 77 BELMONT// 77 to HARLEM. The bus actually turns at Octavia (where the bus loop actually is), but many people may know where Harlem is, but not know that a street called Octavia even exists.

Also, 86 NARRAGANSETT//86 TO DEVON/NAGLE, nobody knows where Imlay is most likely.

Suprisingly they don't even mention that the 86 travels on Ridgeland through Oak Park.

• Upvote 1

Suprisingly they don't even mention that the 86 travels on Ridgeland through Oak Park.

The official name on the schedule is Narragansett/Ridgeland, but you mean that it doesn't show on the signs?

Definitely, the schedule time points are Milwaukee-Imlay and Lake-Cuyler.

Of course there was the time that they tried to simplify the signs, such as when 55 Garfield-55th was only Garfield on the bus signs, although the bus stop signs were changed later.

I have seen some destination signs on the 134,135 or 136 saying to Adams/Wacker with a flip to Via Blue Line.

The via Blue Line wouldn't be a programming error, since that is a public relations sign. I think someone explained earlier that the driver has to punch the public relations sign code into the Clever Device. No different from "Seasons Greetings" or "Schedules Changing Sunday."

• 3 weeks later...

The via Blue Line wouldn't be a programming error, since that is a public relations sign. I think someone explained earlier that the driver has to punch the public relations sign code into the Clever Device. No different from "Seasons Greetings" or "Schedules Changing Sunday."

True that but i think its kinda pain to have to do that everytime

True that but i think its kinda pain to have to do that everytime

Then the question is how important "via --- Line" is. I didn't think it was that important. It might have value for something like 59 being rerouted into the Halsted/63 station, but I take it that the 59 sign doesn't specify the station.

I suggested long ago that they scrap most of the PR messages, particularly those referencing specific destinations or rail stations (if it's part of the route, then it should be programmed into the regular destination sign reading; otherwise it just winds up being the garbage one sees on the buses today). I got overruled on that one (or, rather, I made the mistake of asking someone else about that idea rather than just sending in the request myself; you know, the whole asking forgiveness vs. permission deal).

I suggested long ago that they scrap most of the PR messages, particularly those referencing specific destinations or rail stations (if it's part of the route, then it should be programmed into the regular destination sign reading; otherwise it just winds up being the garbage one sees on the buses today). I got overruled on that one (or, rather, I made the mistake of asking someone else about that idea rather than just sending in the request myself; you know, the whole asking forgiveness vs. permission deal).

And given most of the time now the PR messages are out of date (ALL CTA BUSES NOW ACCESSIBLE) or incorrect (i.e. 134, 135, 136 VIA BLUE LINE or something like one of the east-west routes starting at Chicago and heading north onward reading 'VIA GREEN LINE'), your point that the current PR messages are worthless is further solidified.

Another oddity I've seen is some #80 Irving Park buses are signed for LAKESHORE (not LAKESHORE DR like Addison buses), while others are signed for Broadway, which might suggest to some that the Broadway ones don't go all the way to Lake Shore Dr. to loop back west.

For some odd reason it displays the 80 to Broadway signage on the "HARLEM - IRV/BROADWAY" trips but they still turn around the same way. The "CUMBERLAND- IRV/BROADWAY" trips show the well known "80 to LAKE SHORE" signage.

Now, a story to write home about will be if a big ''oops'' occurs and we see "80 to NEENAH" . :D

For some odd reason it displays the 80 to Broadway signage on the "HARLEM - IRV/BROADWAY" trips but they still turn around the same way. The "CUMBERLAND- IRV/BROADWAY" trips show the well known "80 to LAKE SHORE" signage.

Now, a story to write home about will be if a big ''oops'' occurs and we see "80 to NEENAH" . :D

Or even better, ADDISON to PUEBLO :lol:

Or even better, ADDISON to PUEBLO :lol:

Are they still doing that? I had usually seen Cumberland on flip signs.

The roll signs did, but...

The impression I got was that while Pueblo conformed to the Brennan avenue naming convention (i.e. theoretically A at State Line, but really starting with K west of Pulaski, doing away with 41st Ave.) street signs in Chicago changed to Cumberland in the mid 1970s, which synced up with Park Ridge and River Grove.

We had discussed earlier that 77 Belmont roll signs usually said Cumberland.