Academy/Pace operations.....

Also somewhat off topic, but today I saw what looked like an old NJT MCI (with the hammerhead sign) with Colonial lettering. What is that used for?

Yes, those buses are typically used for local charters around Chicagoland. Colonial has a fleet of long distance Setra and Mercedes Benz OTR coaches as well that are used on the Pace routes 855 and 1012 and some charters. There are some Colonial MCIs that were purchased from the Dallas DART system. You can see on the destination sign still marked "Downtown Dallas"

as well as the route marker sign box on the rear of the bus. There is an interesting array of equipment Colonial has aquired from other transit properties. For example we have a couple of Gillig Phantoms from Galesburg Transit. Some NJ Transit equipment, ex-Dallas DART buses, 3 Houston Metro artics. We also have a Flxible Metro on the property, its origin is unknown, it is not CTA because it does not have the CTA style tailgate. And a group of exPace equipment being cannibalized. I love when I go to work and see all the equipment sitting in the yard. What I would like to see are the Pace Nova Classics 23/2400s arrive there at Academy. Keepin my fingers crossed!!!

2000 series buses. The buses deadhead from Colonials yard in Mt Prospect all the way to "The Hospital". I worked it once over the summer, I Didnt like it one bit!!. What upset me is the ignorant people you encounter, its a free service and you still get alot of bad attitudes from the people who ride it. Didnt like it at all!! It reminded me of when I worked the 12 Roosevelt route. Also Im not a supporter of the Stroger nameYes, that operation is actually carried out by Colonial Coach. The Orions are exPace !

Where does that shuttle operate between? I'd like to get photos of those buses, they look great in their new blue colors.

Where does that shuttle operate between? I'd like to get photos of those buses, they look great in their new blue colors.

That Colonial shuttle bus runs for Stroger hospital. It is a free service between the Cook Cty Juvenile Ctr/Parking Garage and Stroger Hospital. The service runs every 15 minutes on weekdays no weekend service.

Academy today, got a rundown of the former Pace buses that are being cannibalized. Pace Orions that are sitting at Academy being parted out include...

2109 2322

2104 8749

2107 2361

Today at Academy I was looking inside some Orions that were repainted as Robinson Coach, these were former Pace buses. The interiors werent changed, some Pace decals are still present and the interior bus numbers are still in place, Here are the numbers of the former Pace buses still on the property at Academy.

ex-Pace 8776 8748 8760 8890 8730 8745

Today at Academy I was looking inside some Orions that were repainted as Robinson Coach, these were former Pace buses. The interiors werent changed, some Pace decals are still present and the interior bus numbers are still in place, Here are the numbers of the former Pace buses still on the property at Academy.

ex-Pace 8776 8748 8760 8890 8730 8745

Do you have the original Pace numbers for the Robinson Coach and Colonial Coach Orions? I'm specifically looking for Robinson 127 and Colonial 738.

Do you have the original Pace numbers for the Robinson Coach and Colonial Coach Orions? I'm specifically looking for Robinson 127 and Colonial 738.

I dont believe #738 is there anymore, if it was it was gone before I got there in April. Colonials 35ft Orions are #742,746, 748.

I can check to see if Robinson #127 is there Ill get back to you on it.

Why is 2330 always on the #326? I see that same bus every day on that route.

No, not always. The reason you see #2330 often on the 326 is by how buses are assigned. Academy only has a fleet of 19 Orions buses assigned there. So there is always a chance that #2330 will pop up on 326. Ive worked three times on the 326 last week, Ive been assigned nos. 2327, 2374, Nabi #6612. The last time I had #2330 on the 326 was on 10/17. Academy will usually assign 1 Orion and 1 Nabi bus.

No, not always. The reason you see #2330 often on the 326 is by how buses are assigned. Academy only has a fleet of 19 Orions buses assigned there. So there is always a chance that #2330 will pop up on 326. Ive worked three times on the 326 last week, Ive been assigned nos. 2327, 2374, Nabi #6612. The last time I had #2330 on the 326 was on 10/17. Academy will usually assign 1 Orion and 1 Nabi bus.

Just to be curious, since you're a bus driver, would like it if someone was taking a photo of the bus you're driving and you actually see them taking the photo? I'm only asking because the bus driver in Jesi2282's photo seems to be pointing at something and looking or whatever and the same thing happens sometimes when I take photos. Those bus drivers just point and stare. So being a fellow bus driver what would you have to say about other bus drivers being distracted or upset about us busfans taking pictures of their buses and them.

I was wondering awhile ago, When I rode #715 Dupage more than few times, that I've rode the same Orion #2292 with a weird looking old coin fare box, Is that bus still running?

Yesterday evening, I've rode 2304 on #606 to Meijers to shop and back to Rosemont, that was a nice-fast ride, I never saw a NABI on that route that day, so I know most drivers from Academy still takes advantage of Orion.

Just to be curious, since you're a bus driver, would like it if someone was taking a photo of the bus you're driving and you actually see them taking the photo? I'm only asking because the bus driver in Jesi2282's photo seems to be pointing at something and looking or whatever and the same thing happens sometimes when I take photos. Those bus drivers just point and stare. So being a fellow bus driver what would you have to say about other bus drivers being distracted or upset about us busfans taking pictures of their buses and them.

I dont mind it at all if a busfan wishes to take photographs. Heck, I do it myself! :) I carry a good attitude about the job, I have a passion for it and I welcome any busfans who want to take photographs. All I ask is that they let me know who they are and that they are careful and watching where theyre going when theyre photographing like not accidentally stepping into traffic, being aware of where they are. If that person wishes to take photos they are welcome. Like I said as long as I know who they are and theyre careful its ok by me. If they have video cameras thats also fine with me. I enjoy sharing this hobby with other busfans. If a busfan wishes to take photos and I have some downtime by all means I welcome them.

I was wondering awhile ago, When I rode #715 Dupage more than few times, that I've rode the same Orion #2292 with a weird looking old coin fare box, Is that bus still running?

Yesterday evening, I rode #2304 on #606 to Meijers to shop and back to Rosemont, that was a nice-fast ride, I never saw a NABI on that route that day, so I know most drivers from Academy still take advantage of Orions.

Its actually pretty rare to see a Nabi operating on the 606. They are not assigned very often on the 606. Ive been told by one of my bosses at Academy that the NABIs are restricted only to routes 326, 696, 699 because of a direct order from Pace. But on occasion you will find one stray away from these routes I just stated or also its possible that all the Orions at Academy have been used up. But I believe the main reason is because the 606 is a heavily used route as well as the most direct local/express service between Schaumburg/Woodfield Mall and Rosemont CTA the heavy ridership 606 encounters would not justify the use of a 35ft. bus. The NABIs do not have enough seating for riders of the 606 route. As for your question about #2292 I couldnt give you a definitive answer on that, maybe a Pace driver or busfan who knows Pace West suburban operations could help you with that question.

Its actually pretty rare to see a Nabi operating on the 606. They are not assigned very often on the 606. Ive been told by one of my bosses at Academy that the NABIs are restricted only to routes 326, 696, 699 because of a direct order from Pace. But on occasion you will find one stray away from these routes I just stated or also its possible that all the Orions at Academy have been used up. But I believe the main reason is because the 606 is a heavily used route as well as the most direct local/express service between Schaumburg/Woodfield Mall and Rosemont CTA the heavy ridership 606 encounters would not justify the use of a 35ft. bus. The NABIs do not have enough seating for riders of the 606 route. As for your question about #2292 I couldnt give you a definitive answer on that, maybe a Pace driver or busfan who knows Pace West suburban operations could help you with that question.

Even the 40 foot NABI or most of other type of Low Floor buses has a few less seats than a high floor becuase of Front wheels, like the 35 Ft Gillig high floor has same amount of passenger seats as 40 ft Gillig low floor, thats one of those things that I dont care for LFs.

About the Orion #2292, I believe I know the answer for that, Thanks anyways!

Even the 40 foot NABI or most of other type of Low Floor buses has a few less seats than a high floor becuase of Front wheels, like the 35 Ft Gillig high floor has same amount of passenger seats as 40 ft Gillig low floor, thats one of those things that I dont care for LFs.

About the Orion #2292, I believe I know the answer for that, Thanks anyways!

Any low floor bus on a busy route in my opinion is inadequate, with less seats it makes a difference. You would have more passengers standing which creates a higher risk of passengers falling and being injured.

As for the Gilligs I think those are cool buses. I wish that Pace wouldve sent the old 8600s Gillig Phantoms Pace operated throughout Waukegan to Academy.

Any low floor bus on a busy route in my opinion is inadequate, with less seats it makes a difference. You would have more passengers standing which creates a higher risk of passengers falling and being injured.

As for the Gilligs I think those are cool buses. I wish that Pace wouldve sent the old 8600s Gillig Phantoms Pace operated throughout Waukegan to Academy.

Also this thur. 11/1 will be my last run on Pace Rt. 616, Run 31. I will be the last departure from Rosemont on thur. The route will cease operations on friday 11/2 after its 6:12p departure from Rosemont. Im going to miss that route. It was a lot of fun to work. So long 616....

So whats going to happen when that route ceases operation? Will you end up doing another route, or will they switch you to Colonial operations?

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been with Colonial/Academy since April of this year. Im curious to find out what the history of Pace contract operations was like. Does anyone have anything they can share with me as far as what series Pace buses have operated in past years? I think I remember seeing the 8700s long time ago on the 326 when I was at CTA. I also have a video that i took back around 2003 of some retired 8700/8800 series Pace buses that sat for a while in a lot on Division st. One of the buses still displayed a "616 Spring Lake" destination. What other equipment has this operation run?

Channel 32 shows footage of white 8000s (originally RTA pumpkin GMC 4523s) at Rosemont. That must have been taken before 1993.

As for personal knowledge, in the late 90s, there were basically buses in the 8793-88teens range on the 600-606-616 routes (then run by Keeshin), and sometimes 2286 on 326. 696-699 were run with buses in the 2070 range, operated by a contractor other than Keeshin (either Colonial or Cook County School Bus). Keeshin also had the 626 contract at that time, and ran its own buses for a while (looked like second hand highway coaches), then got the 2120s, but then the service and the 2120s were turned over to Pace North Shore.

When Pace got the 2400s, some of South's Orion Is went to SW, and then when SW got its 6000s, most of the same buses then went to whoever had the Rosemont contract. Similarly, when North (Waukegan) got its 2400s, about 10 of its Orion I buses (original range 2321-2340) got scattered around the place (some went to South and others to North Shore), but most of them ended up with contractors. Academy also got 2372-2377 when 6156-6161 mysteriously materialized at NW in 2004, out of chronological sequence.

Also, as mentioned, Keeshin O'Hare had most of the contracts, but went out of business when its landlord sold out to the City of Chicago for O'Hare expansion. Some history of the routes is contained in Bill V's Suburban Transit Routes 600-640 and 690-699 pages, although he hasn't kept some parts of his site up as well lately. I wonder about his "2007" date for Academy taking over 696-699 from Cook County; I thought it was earlier.

One may also note (as Bill V. did) that Colonial operated 610 until 2005--that was with Colonial's own highway coaches, some of which were labeled Pioneer, but otherwise looked the same.

Finally, a bit of speculation--the reason contractors seem to get buses after divisions are done with them may be that the contracts impose on the contractors the obligation to maintain them. Pace may send them to Bus & Truck for an overhaul before sending them out, but then they become the contractor's responsibility. I saw that Academy had 2342 (usually a North Shore bus) for a time, but it is now sitting in the South Holland yard. Apparently Academy got the last out of it.

Channel 32 shows footage of white 8000s (originally RTA pumpkin GMC 4523s) at Rosemont. That must have been taken before 1993.

As for personal knowledge, in the late 90s, there were basically buses in the 8793-88teens range on the 600-606-616 routes (then run by Keeshin), and sometimes 2286 on 326. 696-699 were run with buses in the 2070 range, operated by a contractor other than Keeshin (either Colonial or Cook County School Bus). Keeshin also had the 626 contract at that time, and ran its own buses for a while (looked like second hand highway coaches), then got the 2120s, but then the service and the 2120s were turned over to Pace North Shore.

When Pace got the 2400s, some of South's Orion Is went to SW, and then when SW got its 6000s, most of the same buses then went to whoever had the Rosemont contract. Similarly, when North (Waukegan) got its 2400s, about 10 of its Orion I buses (original range 2321-2340) got scattered around the place (some went to South and others to North Shore), but most of them ended up with contractors. Academy also got 2372-2377 when 6156-6161 mysteriously materialized at NW in 2004, out of chronological sequence.

Also, as mentioned, Keeshin O'Hare had most of the contracts, but went out of business when its landlord sold out to the City of Chicago for O'Hare expansion. Some history of the routes is contained in Bill V's Suburban Transit Routes 600-640 and 690-699 pages, although he hasn't kept some parts of his site up as well lately. I wonder about his "2007" date for Academy taking over 696-699 from Cook County; I thought it was earlier.

One may also note (as Bill V. did) that Colonial operated 610 until 2005--that was with Colonial's own highway coaches, some of which were labeled Pioneer, but otherwise looked the same.

Finally, a bit of speculation--the reason contractors seem to get buses after divisions are done with them may be that the contracts impose on the contractors the obligation to maintain them. Pace may send them to Bus & Truck for an overhaul before sending them out, but then they become the contractor's responsibility. I saw that Academy had 2342 (usually a North Shore bus) for a time, but it is now sitting in the South Holland yard. Apparently Academy got the last out of it.

Thank you very much Busjack, that was a lot of interesting information, I really enjoyed reading it.

One thing I noticed on the second picture and in Lisle--the contractors sure like to flash the "Welcome Aboard Pace" destination sign (or "Thank You for Riding Pace").

Its simple to display different messages on the dest. sign control panel. When I was at CTA I used to love displaying "GO CUBS" when I worked Irving Pk. or Addison. When the Flyer D901s were around I used to love goofing around with the roll sign to see what other signs were there. I used to like rolling the sign when I was driving past a group of people waiting for a bus because they seem to like the different signs that it would display, you would see peoples eyes glued to the dest. sign, at least thats the impression I get.

I was commenting on contractors showing the two messages mentioned more than Pace itself. The Pace drivers seem to like the GO [CUBS SOX BEARS] signs better.

When the RTA was just getting going (it must have been 1976), it ran a commercial, using the Beach Boys song "I Get Around," with a (then new) pumpkin bus rolling its sign.