Academy/Pace operations.....

NABI's... Why can't Pace go New Flyer, the only way to fly!
As mentioned, Pace isn't buying new NABIs, it is buying ElDorados and foisting the displaced NABIs on Academy. NF is irrelevant in this context.

So do I, especially on MVTA 446 with a leadfoot driver :)

So will there be any Orion 1's left after say a month?

When Will Pace order new buses for the Chicagoland area. I know the Aurora area has all Eldorados which are very nice, but I believe the Orion low floors are nearing retirement, and it appears that Pace may not look to any more NABIs. Although I love the look of the NABI 40fts, the suspension on these buses are horrible. Might there be Pace Gilligs or Blue Birds in the future?

By the way, my favorite Pce busof all time would be the 8200s Flxibles. Those were really nice. Unfortunately they were short lived because of cracked frames in its structure, but they were my favorites.

When Will Pace order new buses for the Chicagoland area. I know the Aurora area has all Eldorados which are very nice, but I believe the Orion low floors are nearing retirement, and it appears that Pace may not look to any more NABIs.
Did you mean high floors? The 1993 ones (2272-2378) are theoretically overdue, but with Pace complaining that it doesn't have capital money.... The low floors (6000s) wouldn't be eligible until at least 2013.

In the meantime, there are still 80 options left for the EdDorados, and if Pace intends to get any 40 foot buses, it will have to request bids on them.

BTW, BlueBirds are essentially school buses, and the company is in common ownership with NABI. I wonder even if they are now still building the mid-buses, in competition with NABI subsidiary Optima.

When Will Pace order new buses for the Chicagoland area. I know the Aurora area has all Eldorados which are very nice, but I believe the Orion low floors are nearing retirement, and it appears that Pace may not look to any more NABIs. Although I love the look of the NABI 40fts, the suspension on these buses are horrible. Might there be Pace Gilligs or Blue Birds in the future?

By the way, my favorite Pce busof all time would be the 8200s Flxibles. Those were really nice. Unfortunately they were short lived because of cracked frames in its structure, but they were my favorites.

I do like the look of the 35ft NABIs, but as you state the suspensions are terrible, I know just from the few times I started driving them. Theyre not good buses to drive on the freeway, all I try to do is to take it easy with these buses so as to not jar my passengers. Other than that the buses really havent been much of a problem for me. My favorite Pace bus are the 2300/2400 Nova Classics. I posted some pics from yesterday of #6632 at Academy (Post #75) and I also got a shot of NABI #6241 with simplified scheme.

I do like the look of the 35ft NABIs, but as you state the suspensions are terrible, I know just from the few times I started driving them. Theyre not good buses to drive on the freeway, all I try to do is to take it easy with these buses so as to not jar my passengers. Other than that the buses really havent been much of a problem for me. My favorite Pace bus are the 2300/2400 Nova Classics. I posted some pics from yesterday of #6632 at Academy (Post #75) and I also got a shot of NABI #6241 with simplified scheme.

Well, One time I've rode an 35ft NABI on 606 on I-90 westbound, I was kinda dizzy after exiting onto Elmhurst, I mean it rides so roughly and they are the worst for brakes, its stops like it hitted the wall. I never liked as much I didnt like riding them on X352 on I57. Im sorry but NABI are the ones that gives me headache. At least Orion I-VI/ Nova is still around.

Well, One time I've rode an 35ft NABI on 606 on I-90 westbound, I was kinda dizzy after exiting onto Elmhurst, I mean it rides so roughly and they are the worst for brakes, its stops like it hitted the wall. I never liked as much I didnt like riding them on X352 on I57. Im sorry but NABI are the ones that gives me headache. At least Orion I-VI/ Nova is still around.

The NABIs do have brake retarders thats why they have that jerking motion. In the drivers area theres a switch to cut it off for a few pumps of the service brake which makes braking a little smoother. Today I worked Pace route 696 with NABI bus #6634 and it did jerk a few times, it was a bit of an annoyance but as long as I used the retarder switch it would work better.

If Pace wouldn't come up with an order of Orion V or VII Generation as I would like to see, Then I really hope that in the future that they'll order Gillig Advantage/ Gillig BRT Hybrid like Minneapolis, or Van Hool A330s like Oakland AC Transit.

If Pace wouldn't come up with an order of Orion V or VII Generation as I would like to see, Then I really hope that in the future that they'll order Gillig Advantage/ Gillig LRT Hybrid like Minneapolis, or Van Hool A330s like Oakland AC Transit.

I forgot the Orion V is still being made. I wouldn't mind if Metro Transit got some of them or more Gillig Phantoms for their next fleet replacement after this one with the Gillig BRT's. Most likely though they will keep getting low floors of some sort. (I hope they don't go with NABI based on what I have heard about them now.) The Gillig BRT I have been on was real nice and it seemed to have good shocks and it didn't jerk when braking. I'm still waiting to ride a BRT on MT's 84 from 46th St. LRT station. If it can get through that mess of potholes, chuck holes, frost heaves and abandoned rail track crossing then it's a good bus. The Phantoms rattle and shake on that part but they still preform well.

Upon reviewing my last post in this column I realized its a bit off topic, my apologies :mellow: .

Getting back on topic: At Pace/Academy is it the Drivers responsibility to do the light cleaning on the bus? I mean things like empty the wastebasket, wipe the windows and sweep the floor. From my observations it appears to be the drivers responsibility to do light cleaning with MVTA and Rochester City Lines, so I was just wondering.

By the way, I hope Academy does get the Nova Classics soon. I wish they still made them, they look cool.

Upon reviewing my last post in this column I realized its a bit off topic, my apologies :mellow: .

Getting back on topic: At Pace/Academy is it the Drivers responsibility to do the light cleaning on the bus? I mean things like empty the wastebasket, wipe the windows and sweep the floor. From my observations it appears to be the drivers responsibility to do light cleaning with MVTA and Rochester City Lines, so I was just wondering.

By the way, I hope Academy does get the Nova Classics soon. I wish they still made them, they look cool.

You know what, I really do have a feeling that if the next new bus orders for Pace comes in, then Northwest and Southwest probably be those first two division for next new equipment and transfer most of Southwest Novas to Academy for #600, 606, 616, and 715. And for replacement of Orion 1 at Northwest. I really hoping that It will be a comeback for Nova Classics, they are my favorite Canadian Style buses. I miss my hometown's 1990 MCI Classics in Grand Rapids, MI, now they're at Quebec RTC. Minneapolis would've been a great fit for Nova Classics and New Flyers, But I love their 1998 New Flyer D60HF.

You know what, I really do have a feeling that if the next new bus orders for Pace comes in, then Northwest and Southwest probably be those first two division for next new equipment and transfer most of Southwest Novas to Academy for #600, 606, 616, and 715. And for replacement of Orion 1 at Northwest. I really hoping that It will be a comeback for Nova Classics, they are my favorite Canadian Style buses. I miss my hometown's 1990 MCI Classics in Grand Rapids, MI, now they're at Quebec RTC. Minneapolis would've been a great fit for Nova Classics and New Flyers, But I love their 1998 New Flyer D60HF.

Qwantae, I truly support your statements, I hope that youre prediction turns out to be true for Academy, if it does you get a free ride on me!! :) I truly would love to have the Novas at Academy to replace the 40 foot Orions which are dropping quicker than I imagined, we have about ten left there. Right now there are plenty of nervous bosses at Academy because the Orions are failing one at a time at a rapid pace and there havent been enough buses to fill runs, right now we have no spares. I had a talk with one of my supervisors a few days ago and I asked her if Pace has any 40 footers that can come in to replace the Orions, I even asked about the Novas from Bridgeview, she wasant sure what was going to happen and she also tells me that there are no 40 foot buses available currently in the Pace system to assign to Academy. But I would definitely love to see a Nova Classic sitting in the Pace parking area when I go to work today, by the way ill be on Route 699 today with a NABI of course.

Today we got NABI #6631 I saw it on the 606 at Woodfield. So another NABI added to Academy's fleet. Were most likely getting more from Elgin in the coming days.

NABIs at Academy are:

6604-6612

Qwantae, I truly support your statements, I hope that youre prediction turns out to be true for Academy, if it does you get a free ride on me!! :) I truly would love to have the Novas at Academy to replace the 40 foot Orions which are dropping quicker than I imagined, we have about ten left there. Right now there are plenty of nervous bosses at Academy because the Orions are failing one at a time at a rapid pace and there havent been enough buses to fill runs, right now we have no spares. I had a talk with one of my supervisors a few days ago and I asked her if Pace has any 40 footers that can come in to replace the Orions, I even asked about the Novas from Bridgeview, she wasant sure what was going to happen and she also tells me that there are no 40 foot buses available currently in the Pace system to assign to Academy. But I would definitely love to see a Nova Classic sitting in the Pace parking area when I go to work today, by the way ill be on Route 699 today with a NABI of course.

I don't know if you have an answer to this question, but here goes. Doesn't Colonial have some transit buses for sale? Based on my experience with a company that once had a Pace contract, in extreme situations we covered the Pace run with our won buses, be it an MCI or an RTS transit bus. It was a matter of installing a farebox and notifying Pace that a non-Pace bus was being used. There should be a contract provision allowing for the use of non-Pace equipment, and there is usually a different pay rate that Pace pays the contractor for use of those buses. Also, that equipment must have been inspected and approved by Pace. I worked for one other company that had a Pace contract and there were only a few buses that were approved for Pace service.

I also believe the transit buses that I am asking about are also ADA compliant buses. If it were me, I would get those buses approved for Pace (provided the equipment is no more than 12 years old), slap a Pace sticker on the side and use those buses in emergency situations. As an example, Lorenz bus in Blaine, MN has a contract with Metro Transit. Not only do they operate Metro Gilligs, they have Gilligs in their own fleet that sometimes get pressed into service.

If Colonial can't use their transits, certainly their ADA lift equipped MCI coaches could do the trick.

There should be a contract provision allowing for the use of non-Pace equipment, and there is usually a different pay rate that Pace pays the contractor for use of those buses. Also, that equipment must have been inspected and approved by Pace. I worked for one other company that had a Pace contract and there were only a few buses that were approved for Pace service.
Can't answer for Colonial, but the provision (from the Wheaton area request for bids) is:

If in an emergency, Contractor-owed equipment must be used in the provision of services for this contract then Contractor-owned equipment shall be wheelchair accessible and must not exceed the age of 12 years during any time of the agreement. Pace is to be notified as soon as possible if alternate vehicles are used for service. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in termination of the contract.

Doesn't seem like it has changed much from your understanding.

That would be freakishly cool to see something like an MCI charter type highway coach running a route like 606 :)
Used to run 610. Doesn't any more. So would not be unexpected in Rosemont, although maybe on the Schaumburg end.

Our 606 Route is operating with almost all 6600 NABIs. As of yesterday #6646 broke down at NWTC and the latest news is that more NABIs are coming. All Orions will be retired from Academy.
Is the word that they are going to junk (like 2308 et al., previously mentioned) or just assigned elsewhere?

I did note that there were some unaccounted buses from Elgin, any of those, according to the garage talk?

Is the word that they are going to junk (like 2308 et al., previously mentioned) or just assigned elsewhere?

I did note that there were some unaccounted buses from Elgin, any of those, according to the garage talk?

The Orions are being junked as they go. most if not all are on their last legs. I drove #2293 yesterday from NWTC to Academy and it ran just plain awful, # 2293 was suppose to be retired already. The word is no 40 footers are planned to be assigned to Academy at least for now. Ive been asking a lot of questions at Academy and according to Pace there are no 40 foot buses in the entire system that can be spared to reassign to Academy. The drivers and supervisors want them but Pace currently has nothing for us, I guess thats why were reverting to an all 35ft. fleet. The drivers of the Pace routes such as myself and others are hoping we can get some 40s in the near future. We have to see what the passenger reaction, particularly on the 606 route to see if possibly 40 footers might make a return to Academy.

The Orions are being junked as they go. most if not all are on their last legs. I drove #2293 yesterday from NWTC to Academy and it ran just plain awful, # 2293 was suppose to be retired already. The word is no 40 footers are planned to be assigned to Academy at least for now. Ive been asking a lot of questions at Academy and according to Pace there are no 40 foot buses in the entire system that can be spared to reassign to Academy. The drivers and supervisors want them but Pace currently has nothing for us, I guess thats why were reverting to an all 35ft. fleet. The drivers of the Pace routes such as myself and others are hoping we can get some 40s in the near future. We have to see what the passenger reaction, particularly on the 606 route to see if possibly 40 footers might make a return to Academy.

When I was on 606 it looked like that trip could of had a 35ft but I bet it gets full at rush hour. Too bad we couldn't send some of Metro Transit's 1995 40ft Gillig Phantoms down temporarily. Yeah they're old and being retired but some of them still run well in my opinion. Definitely run better than 2301. I wonder if Pace buying all the shorter buses is going to come back to haunt them in the future if more people start riding because of gas prices and traffic?

When I was on 606 it looked like that trip could of had a 35ft but I bet it gets full at rush hour. Too bad we couldn't send some of Metro Transit's 1995 40ft Gillig Phantoms down temporarily. Yeah they're old and being retired but some of them still run well in my opinion. Definitely run better than 2301. I wonder if Pace buying all the shorter buses is going to come back to haunt them in the future if more people start riding because of gas prices and traffic?

Its possible that if Pace continues this trend of buying more and more shorter buses while retiring their high capacity buses, it could possibly come back and bite them in the, you know where!!!!!

That would be a wise solution for Pace to purchase used 40 footers to fill in areas that still need larger buses. Pace's divisions would benefit as would the contract operators like Academy. Were getting 35ft buses because there are no other 40ft buses in the Pace system that can be spared. I wouldnt mind having some of Metro Transits Gilligs or other used buses.

Its possible that if Pace continues this trend of buying more and more shorter buses while retiring their high capacity buses, it could possibly come back and bite them in the, you know where!!!!!

That would be a wise solution for Pace to purchase used 40 footers to fill in areas that still need larger buses. Pace's divisions would benefit as would the contract operators like Academy. Were getting 35ft buses because there are no other 40ft buses in the Pace system that can be spared. I wouldnt mind having some of Metro Transits Gilligs or other used buses.

I would argue that Colonial could loan their Orions (or other transit coaches) on the NW express routes? Or, even buy used buses themselves (such as Gilligs, Orions, or NF) from retired rosters? If the CTA can pull off getting the 7300's from Seattle as a stopgap, wouldn't a small acquisition of 40-footers be suffice until Pace makes up its mind (and give Academy the Nova Classics)?

Then again, I would be in support of getting articulateds on the 600 or 606, but I digress...

I would argue that Colonial could loan their Orions (or other transit coaches) on the NW express routes? Or, even buy used buses themselves (such as Gilligs, Orions, or NF) from retired rosters? If the CTA can pull off getting the 7300's from Seattle as a stopgap, wouldn't a small acquisition of 40-footers be suffice until Pace makes up its mind (and give Academy the Nova Classics)?

Then again, I would be in support of getting articulateds on the 600 or 606, but I digress...

My first choice would be to get the Pace Nova Classics, then shop around for used equipment. Maybe west coast buses such as Los Angeles, San Diego, or the Bay area where the equipment is in much better shape.