Where are the 2700s going?

Busjack

Now with you explaining where your viewing point was, I can't dispute it much, but I'll come back in a few days to this topic after checking out what Niles is running.

And, if it was a temporary spare (like the couple of 2600s Melinda Metzger said were on the Schaumburg Trolley), that wouldn't prove much either. I suggest giving this a rest. But if you see it (not, if you don't see it and thus assert that this proves never), let us know.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And, if it was a temporary spare (like the couple of 2600s Melinda Metzger said were on the Schaumburg Trolley), that wouldn't prove much either. I suggest giving this a rest. But if you see it (not, if you don't see it and thus assert that this proves never), let us know.

It turns out that Trainman's report was accurate. I went to check it out today and Niles is using #2729 as a temporary spare- which is why there is no Niles livery and/or Niles logos on #2729. You and Buslover were right, but it looks like I'm the winner in terms of gathering the evidence. And I've included a photo of #2729 when it was working route #411 today (it was heading down Waukegan in the photo).

It turns out that Trainman's report was accurate.

Good. Now apologize to Trainman :lol:.

You [busjack or Trainman?] and Buslover were right

I knew we were.

it looks like I'm the winner in terms of gathering the evidence.

Nope, Trainman is. He saw #2729 first.

Your link doesn't work.

Good. Now apologize to Trainman :lol:.

Why? All I did was question the accuracy of his report without something such as a photo for evidence. For reports as questionable as his, there should be evidence.

Nope, Trainman is. He saw #2729 first.

No, I am the winner in terms of gathering the evidence (photo).

Your link doesn't work.

Yes it does. Try again.

Why? All I did was question the accuracy of his report without something such as a photo for evidence. For reports as questionable as his, there should be evidence.

Because, it would be a polite thing to do. Please don't question me, either.

No, I am the winner in terms of gathering the evidence (photo).

You may be the "winner" of getting a photo, but you aren't the "winner" of getting the first evidence. Also, this is not a game and please stop gloating.

Yes it does. Try again.

I tried it again and it didn't work, so no, it doesn't.

You may be the "winner" of getting a photo, but you aren't the "winner" of getting the first evidence. Also, this is not a game and please stop gloating.

Busjack once mentioned that you said that a thread like this is a guessing game, don't you remember?

I tried it again and it didn't work, so no, it doesn't.

I tried the link and it works perfectly. What happens when you open the link? I wonder if anyone else will have this problem.

Because, it would be a polite thing to do. Please don't question me, either.

Gloating is not prohibited according to the posting guidelines. Also, Trainman had a report with no evidence. Although he was the first to make a report regarding this.

Gloating is not prohibited according to the posting guidelines.

I know it's not, but it's wrong.

Also, Trainman had a report with no evidence.

How many times do I have to say that you should have believed him anyway -- evidence or not?

I'm still waiting for some more feedback from other members to see if they have the same problem.

So you're saying you don't believe me? Fine, I don't care. I don't care if you believe me or not.

If you have any problems with me, please, PM me.

I'm still waiting for some more feedback from other members to see if they have the same problem.

The link is protected by a login. Why not attach the photo to a message here? Under the attachments section when posting a message, simply select the file and click Upload to attach to your message.

I was going to concur with Kevin. Since Best Buy ran the scam with supposedly "free MSN" and then sold my credit card number to them, I am having nothing to do with it. But that it is off topic.

As far as my level of proof, I believe sources that prove to be verifiable. Pictures might help, but if a source has been otherwise verifiable in the past, I will tend to accept it unless the proof is otherwise. Trainman's and jesi's sightings generally have been verifiable. pace2322 has been a mixed bag--his reports of 2600s at Aurora were premature, as they were 2500s at that time (see this post about the verification process). However, more recently, when he said that 2651 was at North Shore and I saw it the next day, I credited that. I more recently asked if any 2700s were outside at South Holland, and he said yes; in fact 2719, 2724, and 2725 were there. This resulted in the discussion of garage banter.

I did buy a digital camera when sw raised this issue, but now don't believe that it proves that much (except gets the attention of the street supervisor; see also the topic on photography policy). I certainly understand trainman's point that one doesn't pull out the camera when you just happen to be behind a bus at a red light.

Now my reason for debunking "never": As I indicated in the "anyone seen the 5300s retiring" topic, you don't know what you don't see. For instance, I saw a bunch of Joliet buses in North Shore territory, and wondered why North Shore needed them, except that maybe I hadn't seen those in the 6624-6628 range lately. This made me go to Joliet, where in fact I saw some. This, and the Schaumburg Trolley episode indicate that the Pace Bus Shuffle could mean that anything could be anywhere. That turned out to be the case here. You just can't assume "never," just as some prior posters on this forum assumed that buses had previously all been delivered in fleet order, but guess what, not even the recent ones always are.

Finally, while I said this is open to speculation, I also originally said:

Please distinguish speculation, garage rumor, inside information, and actual sightings.

I classify "I think 2700s might replace 2272s in North Shore" as permissible speculation. 5750's frequent comments that Academy should get freed up 2390s is a fair request, although one can doubt whether that will happen, as buslover did. But saying "never" and saying that trainman didn't see what he saw goes beyond the bounds. As I said before, you could have said you had reasons to doubt his story, but based on the Pace Bus Shuffle, "anything can happen and probably will." Remember, no one could understand why the Niles 2640 series buses were sitting in the yard for over 5 months after they were delivered.

That gets it back to credibility. Bus Expert has complained that I have made fun of his screen name, but if one goes back to it, he has been consistently wrong, except for Doomsday being postponed, and he now admits that that was purely luck (such as the player's son on Deal or No Deal knowing where the 1 cent and $400,000 cases were, but thinking the player had the $100,000 case when she had the $25,000, and not speaking up when she knocked out the $1,000,000 case early in the game). Just as buslover apologized for his bus driver hoax (and appears to have grown up since then), I agree that Bus Expert should apologize here.

Now my reason for debunking "never": As I indicated in the "anyone seen the 5300s retiring" topic, you don't know what you don't see. For instance, I saw a bunch of Joliet buses in North Shore territory, and wondered why North Shore needed them, except that maybe I hadn't seen those in the 6624-6628 range lately. This made me go to Joliet, where in fact I saw some. This, and the Schaumburg Trolley episode indicate that the Pace Bus Shuffle could mean that anything could be anywhere. That turned out to be the case here. You just can't assume "never," just as some prior posters on this forum assumed that buses had previously all been delivered in fleet order, but guess what, not even the recent ones always are.

I classify "I think 2700s might replace 2272s in North Shore" as permissible speculation. 5750's frequent comments that Academy should get freed up 2390s is a fair request, although one can doubt whether that will happen, as buslover did. But saying "never" and saying that trainman didn't see what he saw goes beyond the bounds. As I said before, you could have said you had reasons to doubt his story, but based on the Pace Bus Shuffle, "anything can happen and probably will." Remember, no one could understand why the Niles 2640 series buses were sitting in the yard for over 5 months after they were delivered.

That gets it back to credibility. Bus Expert has complained that I have made fun of his screen name, but if one goes back to it, he has been consistently wrong, except for Doomsday being postponed, and he now admits that that was purely luck (such as the player's son on Deal or No Deal knowing where the 1 cent and $400,000 cases were, but thinking the player had the $100,000 case when she had the $25,000, and not speaking up when she knocked out the $1,000,000 case early in the game). Just as buslover apologized for his bus driver hoax (and appears to have grown up since then), I agree that Bus Expert should apologize here.

First off, by never, my reference was to the past, but it happened now. Also, I have not been consistently wrong as you say. I have proven many of my reports and sightings, and I've doubted a few other reports and speculations for acceptable reasons. The only time that I can recall that I've been "wrong" was my confusion of North Ave. and North Blvd., so you can have at that.

Now let's not get carried away. I didn't pull off some kind of hoax here. I doubted the report because I had my reasons, but I backed off after further explanation from Trainman (for example, he didn't mention that he was driving at the moment in his initial report). But I apoligize to you all for getting too excited about this debate.

By the way, I am working on getting the photo of #2729 posted.

As far as my level of proof, I believe sources that prove to be verifiable. Pictures might help, but if a source has been otherwise verifiable in the past, I will tend to accept it unless the proof is otherwise. Trainman's and jesi's sightings generally have been verifiable. pace2322 has been a mixed bag--his reports of 2600s at Aurora were premature, as they were 2500s at that time (see this post about the verification process). However, more recently, when he said that 2651 was at North Shore and I saw it the next day, I credited that. I more recently asked if any 2700s were outside at South Holland, and he said yes; in fact 2719, 2724, and 2725 were there. This resulted in the discussion of garage banter.

I agree with you, Busjack, and yes, i've grown alot from that experience.

It turns out that Trainman's report was accurate. I went to check it out today and Niles is using #2729 as a temporary spare- which is why there is no Niles livery and/or Niles logos on #2729. You and Buslover were right, but it looks like I'm the winner in terms of gathering the evidence. And I've included a photo of #2729 when it was working route #411 today (it was heading down Waukegan in the photo).

And here's the photo of #2729 working route #411 on Friday, December 28, 2007- it was heading down Waukegan at the time of the photo. I was able to verify all of the above information as well. All of you were right, but I'm the only one with the evidence.

(photo in the post below due to technical problems with the server)

There's a technical problem with the server that's preventing BusExpert from being able to post the attachment. However, the file was still being uploaded--it just couldn't be displayed as the server was failing to generate a thumbnail due to the size of the image.

I've manually resized his photo and attached it to this message.

What do you win ???? And, would you have gone running out on the street to take a pic if nobody told you it was there...even though you, er, said it couldn't be true...er...would never happen ???? Hmmmmm !!!! <_<

I went to see if Niles had #2729 in service. They do, and I was able to take a pic. Also, I said it never has happened that Niles would run a vehicle without any Niles livery and Niles logos, but it's happened now.

So what about 2708-2728 where are they except 2713 of course?
Since they aren't showing up on WebWatch, my idea of spelunking would be around the Lombard-Wheaton area. However, given the crummy weather and the possibility that doomsday may have an effect on whether the contract was executed for there, it doesn't seem worth my time to take a trip out there now. For all we know, they might still be sitting in South Holland.

Also pace2322 said that they wanted to send some to South. Webwatch indicates that the 6600s are being used on Chicago Heights routes (357, 358, maybe 362, 366, and 367) and that, for the most part, 40 foot buses are being used on the feeders (450s and 750s), so unless they are interlined, some 2700s might end up on the latter.

As the above indicates (within the rules stated above) this is all speculation, but Webwatch allows one to become a virtual authority pretty quickly. If anyone has actual sightings, or goes into the outlying contract operator areas, let us know.

• 3 weeks later...