Bustracker's buses

BusExpert32

To my surprise, when I looked at Bustracker just a couple of minutes ago, I spotted bus #1344 heading eastbound. Are Chicago Garage New Flyers (such as #1344) now recieving Bustracker to run on the #20 Madison? Very interseting sighting for me on Bustracker, a New Flyer, who would've thought? And this is definitely true because on Bustracker every bus number is listed and bus numbers do not just pop up randomly on there.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To my surprise, when I looked at Bustracker just a couple of minutes ago, I spotted bus #1344 heading eastbound. Are Chicago Garage New Flyers (such as #1344) now recieving Bustracker to run on the #20 Madison? Very interseting sighting for me on Bustracker, a New Flyer, who would've thought? And this is definitely true because on Bustracker every bus number is listed and bus numbers do not just pop up randomly on there.

Wasn't Bustracker installed on the New Flyers when they first got here?

I'm looking at Bustracker right now and I see #1422 near Monroe and Clark, so that means #1344 isn't the only New Flyer out of Chicago with the GPS decive installed. Also, I still see buses bunched together. #6707 is right behind #1422 on Monroe, #6706 is two blocks behind #6404 at Madison/Killbourn (same with #6727 and #6661 at Madison/Springfield) and also with #6681 and #6697 near Union Park.

Hope this bus bunching is unbunched soon.

I'm looking at Bustracker right now and I see #1422 near Monroe and Clark, so that means #1344 isn't the only New Flyer out of Chicago with the GPS decive installed. Also, I still see buses bunched together. #6707 is right behind #1422 on Monroe, #6706 is two blocks behind #6404 at Madison/Killbourn (same with #6727 and #6661 at Madison/Springfield) and also with #6681 and #6697 near Union Park.

Hope this bus bunching is unbunched soon.

For those of you interested in Chicago's 8 6400s from 77th, they do have GPSes for Bustracker, like Buslover and I have seen #6404 on Bustracker today. Two buses aren't really that bad, buses bunched in twos are basically on every crosstown route most of the time. Three to four buses would be more of a problem.

If you look at the map at ctabustracker.com, you can see that there are lines drawn that would indicate the various routes out of Chicago Garage and 77th Garage, which will be the next garage to get Bus Tracker (don't ask me, I'm not involved in that project). I haven't been to the bus tracker website in a while, but I don't believe those lines were there the last time I was at that website. I'm not sure when the system will be rolled out full-scale. It's been "soon" for some time. I'm told there was some glitch with the Clever Devices units on some of the buses that were being equipped, so that could have been part of the cause for the delay.

However, I'm pretty sure 100% of the fleet is supposed to be equipped, so that would include some of the older buses about to be retired in a year or so. I presume the equipment can be taken off of those buses and put on new ones that get delivered.

Wow, the buses really are diverse today on the #20 Madison. As of right now buses #5490, #1425, #1427, #1334, #1352, and a lot of Novas are running on Madison. Chicago Garage's 5300 Flxibles will not be retired at the end of this year; therefore, explaining why they are recieving Bustracker as well. 103rd's 5300s are getting retired at this time, but Kedzie's and Chicago's 5300's will be around longer than we think. So at least 80 5300 Flxibles will still be in service after the new year.

Right now, here on Bustracker, there are only two buses. They are #1360 and #1369, but guess where they are? They're both sitting at North Blvd./Harlem. I would think there's a crowd of people at the bus stops east of Madison and Cicero by now. This is just plain awful.

The N20 only goes to Lake/Harlem (Green Line)- [turns right on Austin, then left on Lake], so I would wonder why two buses would just be sitting there all the way at North/Harlem.

The N20 only goes to Lake/Harlem (Green Line)- [turns right on Austin, then left on Lake], so I would wonder why two buses would just be sitting there all the way at North/Harlem.
Again you are wrong. North Blvd./Harlem is the Green Line station. It isn't North Ave. and Harlem. See Google Map.

Right now, here on Bustracker, there are only two buses. They are #1360 and #1369, but guess where they are? They're both sitting at North Blvd./Harlem. I would think there's a crowd of people at the bus stops east of Madison and Cicero by now. This is just plain awful.

Of course I am wondering what one would be doing looking a Bus Tracker at 3:29 a.m. However, I doubt that there is much of a crowd on a holiday owl run, although there might be a few people not happy that there is a 1 hour headway on a 1/2 hour route.

Again you are wrong. North Blvd./Harlem is the Green Line station. It isn't North Ave. and Harlem. See Google Map.

What are you talking about? Make yourself a little more clear. There is no Green Line Station at North Blvd./Harlem and the N20 doesn't terminate there either. The last westbound stop for the Green Line is indeed Lake/Harlem, and that is also where the N20 terminates (again it turns right on Austin off of Madison, and then left on Lake off of Austin all the way to Harlem- that's it). The N20 does not turn right on Harlem and then go to North Blvd.

What are you talking about? Make yourself a little more clear. There is no Green Line Station at North Blvd./Harlem and the N20 doesn't terminate there either. The last westbound stop for the Green Line is indeed Lake/Harlem, and that is also where the N20 terminates (again it turns right on Austin off of Madison, and then left on Lake off of Austin all the way to Harlem- that's it). The N20 does not turn right on Harlem and then go to North Blvd.
As I said, you seem to lack the comprehension to know the difference between North Ave. and North Blvd. The Green Line station is at North Blvd. and Marion Street in Oak Park (at least the accessible entrance and connection to Metra are), even though it is marked Harlem/Lake. Lake Street is 2 blocks north of the station. I bet you didn't look at the Google Map, and certainly not at the 20 schedule and map, which states that the night bus goes Madison-Austin-Lake-Harlem-North Blvd.-Forest-Lake. Your routing is sheer fantasy.

Did you even bother to look at the map link that was provided? For your information, North Blvd is one block south of Lake Street. If you turned right onto Harlem, you would be going away from North Blvd. Please pay attention.

In fact, the last time point on the N20 route is "NbdHar." I'll let you guess what "Nbd" is supposed to stand for (hint: it's not "Lake").

Thanks for clearing that up. Please excuse me for my North Blvd. and North Ave. confusion.

Finally, you understood. I didn't think you were going to.

I am wondering what one would be doing looking a Bus Tracker at 3:29 a.m.

Out of being really bored and in a very tired state. I now notice that's there more then 10 buses out.

Getting back on the topic of Bus Tracker, some additional information was revealed in this month's Connections (available for download from podcastchicago.tv).

Wai-Sinn Chan of the CTA mentions that 77th Garage will be the first to receive Bus Tracker. They'll then continue to test the system and roll it out to other garages once it's ready. No timeline is given on this process.

The video shows an internal version of Bus Tracker which displays several routes out of both Chicago and 77th (see attached screen grab).