CTA Paper Buses

Danielsmusic

• 2 weeks later...

While looking for Paper Buses, I found these:

http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3197

You can actually make your own paper buses with this site. I have 5300's, 5800's, 6000's, 6400's, and 1000's now.

I did 2D models only, but just find these models under this link or google 'Flxible Metro Paper Bus' and you'll find the Flxibles and other models I used there as well. Use the paint program on your computer to wipe clean the livery on the buses you choose and paint them how you like them(old green livery, red, white and blue livery, or something totally crazy).

The New Flyer models have been modified to look more like the actual models. Check them out!

New Flyer D40LF Version 2.0

NOVA LFS Version 2.0

New Flyer D40LF Old Model Version 2.0

Flxible Metro Series 3 Version 2.0

TMC RTS Version 2.0

cta_Flxible_Metro.bmp

cta_Flxible_Metro_Series_2.bmp

cta_D40LF_1_.bmp

cta_LFS.bmp

cta_D40LF_Old_Model_1_.bmp

cta_Flxible_Metro_Series_3.bmp

cta_RTS.bmp

You can actually make your own paper buses with this site. I have 5300's, 5800's, 6000's, 6400's, and 1000's now.

I did 2D models only, but just find these models under this link or google 'Flxible Metro Paper Bus' and you'll find the Flxibles and other models I used there as well. Use the paint program on your computer to wipe clean the livery on the buses you choose and paint them how you like them(old green livery, red, white and blue livery, or something totally crazy).

And for the nostalgic Flyer D901 fan....

Flyer D901 Version 2.0

cta_Flyer_D901_New_Livery.bmp

Which website are these paintings from?

Which website are these paintings from?

Unfortunately, the paintings were done by me, otherwise they wouldn't exist. But the paper bus images are at the following areas.

-the link provided by jesi2282 and some by googling 'Flxible Metro Paper Buses' and entering this search result site. http://netjournal.homestead.com/files/pbc/n_usa.html

The buses you see in the links I provided were NOT in CTA Livery originally... I had to save them to my hard drive, go into the computer's paint program, open the files, wipe the old colors clean away and add the livery and text that I wanted using the program.

NOTE: For the 5700 Cummins Flxibles, 6000 Flxibles, 5800 New Flyers, 6400 LFS's, I had to do a little modifying to make them like our CTA models. Also the Flxible models I copied have double doors in the front. I had to change them from double doors to single doors, the Alcoa rims I had to add from a different bus model(a Orion I believe). The New Flyer(5800) rims were also borrowed from another bus. All you have to do is cut the rims from the donor buses, paste them to the page with the image you are modifying to make a CTA bus, drag the image over the current wheel and drop it there. It covers the old rim nicely and looks like a part of the bus you are working with. The 6000 Metros I had to square the back because the Metros I took from have the angled back like the 5300 Metros have. Also, I had to add the hopper windows to this model. The 6400 LFS' and 5800 D40LF's I had to add the roof HVAC units myself using the paint tools. I will try to find the links to the donor buses and post them so you have them.

Just being picky, but the CTA logo is usually in italics. Also the various series of buses have different treatment of the angle at the logo end of the blue and red stripes. See the Gallery, for instance the 5800s one.

Well, paint is kinda limited in what you can/can't do. Being that I tinker with the program, I am moderately pleased with how well the models turned out. They may not be 100% exact replicas, but they are at least 80% accurate. I followed a borrowed image from chicagobus.org for each series of buses.

Here is the donor bus to put Alcoa rims on the Cummins 5700's and the 6000's.

http://netjournal.homestead.com/files/pbc/muni-gpl-93.png

I couldn't find the exact donor that I used for the 5800 D40LF's rims, but this one is pretty close. It's from a NABI(suprisingly the NABI's are good for something... :lol: ). Just make a star pattern on the rims by eliminating the un-necessary holes. If you need to know how and have the paint program, let me know and I'll post instructions on how to do it with a before and after sample.

Oops, forgot the NABI link.... http://netjournal.homestead.com/files/pbc/...abi40lfw-mr.png

Danielsmusic, I was playing with microsoft paint this morning, and I tried to do my own americana. I was able to do the front doors, but I didn't do the rest. In order to make a paper bus, do you have to draw the other sides of the bus like the back, front, side etc..? And how do you do the tires & put the cta logo on them? I tried and failed at that.

I know one thing though, it's quite fun, and when I finally get better at it, I'll be able to create a bus with a new color & send it to CTA as a part of a future color scheme.

Just for fun, I put together a NOVA with a new livery and number series. It's kinda old meets new, with red as the dominant color, white in the middle, blue on the bottom panels. And, for an old school feel, a two tone striping in the middle like the Flyers and Americanas we had in the 1980's.

Hypothetically, if NOVA returns to the U.S and the CTA orders a certain amount of LFS's(assuming this model will still be in use then) in the next 10-20 years, would anyone like a livery like this? If not, I want you to take this model, and use your paint program to modify it anyway you like to. I like this one, I call it 'CTA old school meets new school'. The quote on top I made up.

cta_LFS_Modified.bmp

Just for fun, I put together a NOVA with a new livery and number series. It's kinda old meets new, with red as the dominant color, white in the middle, blue on the bottom panels. And, for an old school feel, a two tone striping in the middle like the Flyers and Americanas we had in the 1980's.

Hypothetically, if NOVA returns to the U.S and the CTA orders a certain amount of LFS's(assuming this model will still be in use then) in the next 10-20 years, would anyone like a livery like this? If not, I want you to take this model, and use your paint program to modify it anyway you like to. I like this one, I call it 'CTA old school meets new school'. The quote on top I made up.

I like it. It really looks cool. Another thing I would probably do is remove the stripes in the middle and just paint the livery number in either blue or red. Blue would probably be better now that I think about it.

To the people I made the buses for:

Do you like them? Any comments?

Me either, but Im about to work on it.

But I am about to make a MCI/ Nova Classic bus with an inside interiors, open doors, lights by out of Lagos and notecards, not sure yet about a transit, probably Montreal or Pittsburgh, those are popular cities with Classics, I could make one for Pace (2380s) too with new blue logo.

I believe some of those 3700s were used on other routes. I think I remember riding those on the 94 California in the eighties when I was a kid
Depends if it was 3700 to approximately 3730, which were 96 inch wide buses, or above that, which were 102s. Of course, as ridership went down, they might have went elsewhere or on fill-ins. In any event, definitely not on Addison, as an illustration of what was typical.