CTA Paper Buses

Danielsmusic

Depends if it was 3700 to approximately 3730, which were 96 inch wide buses, or above that, which were 102s. Of course, as ridership went down, they might have went elsewhere or on fill-ins. In any event, definitely not on Addison, as an illustration of what was typical.

I'll take your word about Addison, but the 96 inch models were used on other routes besides 16 Lake. I remember riding a few on 94 as the other poster remembers seeing, as well as on 126 Jackson and on 20 Madison when that route was still at Kedzie.

I know someone on here was inquiring about a two-tone New Flyer D40LF we had before the 5800's arrived. While I don't have photos, I did modify a drawing and make it to what I believe this bus would've probably looked like(if it did exist).

No, it didn't look like that. I'll make a drawing and post it tomorrow.

I know someone on here was inquiring about a two-tone New Flyer D40LF we had before the 5800's arrived. While I don't have photos, I did modify a drawing and make it to what I believe this bus would've probably looked like(if it did exist).

Oh it existed all right, because I rode the bus in question. The two-tone green was just like the original #9800's livery. I would say most likely because even though CTA had switched to it's current red/white/blue color scheme in 1992 that was unknown at the time at New Flyer and they put out the demonstrator in the old livery. Also the interior had 2 backwards seats one on each backside of the front wheels facing a forward facing seat in the next row. Reminded me of the old switchback seating on the interurbans at IRM, where you could face each other. All seat inserts were gray with the New Flyer symbol emblasened on them in blue or black. The rear tailgate was an "off the shelf" look similar to Milwaukee,Wi's New Flyer's rear. I think it had a rear window but I'm not sure about that it's hard to remember that. That's about all I remember.

Also the interior had 2 backwards seats one on each backside of the front wheels facing a forward facing seat in the next row. Reminded me of the old switchback seating on the interurbans at IRM, where you could face each other.
Then where were the wheelchair positions? (One would assume their existence, given that that is the reason for a low floor.)

Then where were the wheelchair positions? (One would assume their existence, given that that is the reason for a low floor.)

Right there at the two opposing seats. This was a new design at New Flyer, so it's likely that this was somewhat experimental and easy to put on a demostrator to gauge people's reactions and feedback. Obviously, the feedback wasn't good or a designer got wise and switched the seating arrangement. You know there has been a history of goofy things on demonstrators. Let me tell you about another one in Chicago from New Flyer (a cooler one!!). In 1997, I was aboard an Addison bus heading eastbound around 3 P. M. on a weekday, the time you would see a bunch of artics from lane tech doing school trips. All of a sudden while stopped I glanced over at a westbound Addison. There was this bus at first it looked like a #5800 but the destination sign was programmed to show the route on the bottom half of the sign. I thought that was weird then I noticed that it was an artic!! I was literally swept off my seat at this sight. The paint job was a regular red/white/blue livery on the front half up to the accordion, but the back half was a bright orange, like Chicago Bears colors. The bus seemed like it was put out in a hurry. Seeing that this was a chance of a lifetime, I quickly got off my bus, and pursued this demo in hopes of riding it. I got my chance. When I boarded it I noticed these two guys sitting up front talking to the driver, one of them was wearing a New Flyer shirt (this was August). I think these guys drove this demo down to Chicago and were more less the salesman or security men for the bus. Anyway as I walked up the aisle I noticed the bus had three doors, a front door and two back doors. one in the normal location and the other in front of the accordian I was like whoa!! But the operator only opened the back door on the bus, the normal one. Also the operator was the door opener, the customer couldn't open the door themselves because there was no handles to (like the #7300's if you remember this). The seat inserts were the same as the other demo in 1992. Also the rear had no glass like an Americana. After that, a few days later, while looking for the bus again I noticed an Orion outside of Archer on the apron outside the main hallway on Pershing/Archer. It was one of the short ones ( I forget the model). I never got to ride that one, but it shows that CTA was looking into short buses in 1997. It just took them almost 9 years to pull the plug. :P That was a totally wild experience, but to this day I don't know what bus company has a livery that is orange with a little bit of blue like Bears colors.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A 2006 CTA D40LF paper bus can be found at my website in the 'Paperbuses' section here: http://ryansttcphotos.webng.com/paperbuses.html.

Here's a direct link to the CTA D40LF paper bus:

http://ryansttcphotos.webng.com/paperbuses...LF_CTA_1000.png

A CTA Nova LFS is also in the works.

-Ryan

You have quite an impressive list of buses on your site. I was surprised to see the Nova artic prototype on there. The first CTA bus here looks very good. Hopefully your site can put out a few more CTA buses. There's alot of pictures of buses on this site to help with questions of detail one may have.

• 2 months later...

I was the person who contacted Corgi about the CTA bus #1418. I was hoping that when they issued the fishbowl buses in 1996 that they would include a representative for the CTA. They had not planned to but asked if I could assist them in the livery and design. Eventually I got in touch with Jack Doyle in Chicago. I provided the colors and design for #1418 and Jack provided the design for Chicago Motor Coach #1165.

I was a summer driver for the CTA, one of scores of college students working the extra shifts to pay for tuition while regular drivers were on their summer vacations. I worked out of the North Avenue barn, and that's why the destination sign is North-Cicero--the location of the old barn. In 1973 and 1974 drivers could pick their own busses for assignments; and #1418 was a favorite of mine because with the air conditioning on, its diesel engine did not bog down and the A/C was cooling was effective. The same was true for #1468 and #1512. Most of the other busses struggled either with cooling, pickup, or both.

Corgi got the details of the bus correct but apparently decided not to produce a beige interior (the bright orange inserts would have been ideal but too expensive. The upper orange and red running lights were also not in the specification, and they are out of place on the model and, to me, more bothersome than the bus number on the bottom of the A/C unit at the rear of the bus rather than at the top. On the other hand, the colors and placement are quite accurate as is the CTA logo (taken from my driver's handbook).

I was a ticket agent for the CTA and drove for them for six summers while getting my degrees and teaching during the school year. It was the best summer job I ever had.

Here's a Low Floor Flxible(that obviously will never happen unless someone picks up the design and naming rights for the "Metro")

Someone should have adjusted the rear windows so that the top sills were on the same level as those on the windows in front and the transoms aligned. Details, details.... :o :lol:

Looks almost like an Orion 7 for that matter...
Assuming the old style Orion VII, basically the only difference would be on the left side (not depicted), where, in the usual application, there isn't the black masking in the space between the big and small windows.* Also, a Flx would have a squared left front while the Orion has one slanted with the windshield.

*Apparently not the case for TTC.

Someone should have adjusted the rear windows so that the top sills were on the same level as those on the windows in front and the transoms aligned. Details, details.... :o:lol:

The front windows should be a big bigger and extended downward. Most low floors are known for big windows in the low floor area. Looks kind of like a semi high floor or a hybrid of both styles.

Something like this???

cta_Flxible_Metro_Low_Floor_Series_v_2.bmp

• 4 months later...

Some talked about this bus as an artic for the CTA, others have wondered if the CTA would ever be able to order from this company again. Well, I put one together for you...

I've been thinking about the CTA rolling out with those Nova artics since February of this year. I wish they would do that next year. I love those Nova buses & the Novas that came out in 2000.