Nova planning return to US?

Kevin

From The Press Republican (via CPTDB):

PLATTSBURGH -- A Canadian bus manufacturer is considering building an assembly plant in Clinton County.

Information obtained by the Press-Republican from the Town of Plattsburgh Planning and Engineering Department under the Freedom of Information Act includes a traffic study prepared by Stantec Consulting Services Inc. for a bus-assembly plant.

The company behind the plan is believed to be Nova Bus, a division of Prevost Car Inc.

Pierre Pelland, a Nova Bus spokesman, said he was not able to comment on the company's plans.

Full article.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Googling found that Montreal is about as happy with its Novas as we are with NABIs. canada.com story. Wasn't being jerky part of the complaint about the CTA Novas?

Googling didn't find any press release for an upcoming U.S. contract.

However, one thing that happens frequently in New York is that one town celebrates that it thinks it is getting jobs, not realizing that a town maybe 50 miles away previously lost the same jobs. That is at least the case here, although whether Nova would build a new plant in Plattsburgh after abandoning one in Schenectady remains to be seen.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I can't access them, Kevin. Can you perhaps provide a link or something? The board says I need to sign up there to view them.

Whoops... didn't realize they required registration to view attachments on that forum.

I've re-attached them here. These photos are credited to J. Caronetti. Borderline copyright infringement, but apparently they were originally posted by someone else anyways.

Hi All;

I actually like the looks of the bus. :blink:

Questions:

1) Is the engine positioned like the 40ft Nova LFS or is positioned like the New Flyer low floors?

2) It appears the front doors [opposite the driver] are not simetric. Is that true?

Gene King

1)The rear shot, by having a full width window, indicates that it isn't a "engine in the closet" like our Novas.

2)The windows are kind of strange, especially in that the sliding portions are high. Of course, window style is always an option.

3)The A/C vent on the back is ugly, and the bus also seems to have roof pods.

1)The rear shot, by having a full width window, indicates that it isn't a "engine in the closet" like our Novas.

2)The windows are kind of strange, especially in that the sliding portions are high. Of course, window style is always an option.

Correct it's a rear engine configuration, not an off balanced engine mount.

I agree with you on number three, very ugly. That box just houses the compressors for the A/C, the roof pods just house the AHUs (Cooling/heating coils, and the blowers).

2) It appears the front doors [opposite the driver] are not simetric. Is that true?

Yes it's true, Vancouver Translink's Nova LFSes have the same doors. Only the the big piece of the door opens to help maintain the air temperature inside the bus. When the wheel chair ramp needs to be deployed, the smaller piece opens.

Yes it's true, Vancouver Translink's Nova LFSes have the same doors. Only the the big piece of the door opens to help maintain the air temperature inside the bus. When the wheel chair ramp needs to be deployed, the smaller piece opens.

My understanding is that air temperature has nothing to do with it (that tiny little door panel wouldn't do much to keep air in/out anyway).

Rather, when Vancouver/BC Transit (I think they were still BC Transit back then) bought a single Nova LFS back in 1998 as a test, the main complaint from the bus operators was that they had to crane their necks too far around to see passengers with flash passes and transfers, because the door was much further back than it is on other buses. By only opening the front 2/3 of the door, passengers can enter where the driver has a better chance of seeing their passes without hurting their neck.

Maintaining air temperature inside the bus would be an odd reason because 1) it usually doesn't get really cold in Vancouver (to want to keep the heat in), and 2) Vancouver's buses don't have air conditioning (with the exception of their Orion V express coaches), so there'd be no real benefit in the summer either.

My understanding is that air temperature has nothing to do with it (that tiny little door panel wouldn't do much to keep air in/out anyway).

Rather, when Vancouver/BC Transit (I think they were still BC Transit back then) bought a single Nova LFS back in 1998 as a test, the main complaint from the bus operators was that they had to crane their necks too far around to see passengers with flash passes and transfers, because the door was much further back than it is on other buses. By only opening the front 2/3 of the door, passengers can enter where the driver has a better chance of seeing their passes without hurting their neck.

Maintaining air temperature inside the bus would be an odd reason because 1) it usually doesn't get really cold in Vancouver (to want to keep the heat in), and 2) Vancouver's buses don't have air conditioning (with the exception of their Orion V express coaches), so there'd be no real benefit in the summer either.

You're right, I remember now. There was a big debate about it on the CPTDB back when Translink first got it's demo back in 2007. I remember someone bringing up something about it having to do about maintaining air temperature, but it was shot down but what you just said.

Correct it's a rear engine configuration, not an off balanced engine mount.

I agree with you on number three, very ugly. That box just houses the compressors for the A/C, the roof pods just house the AHUs (Cooling/heating coils, and the blowers).

Has Nova decided to implement this rear engine config to all their buses or just the artics?

Gene King

Has Nova decided to implement this rear engine config to all their buses or just the artics?

Gene King

I honestly have no idea, the STM's (Montreal) and Translink's (Vancouver) newest LFSes still have the offside engine mount.

The vent on the back actually houses the engine cooling system. It's mounted high to avoid debris from the road.

Gene King

All of their buses will have the centre mounted engine. It should start this year. Some 40 foot demos have already been produced with the new engine placement.

I honestly have no idea, the STM's (Montreal) and Translink's (Vancouver) newest LFSes still have the offside engine mount.

You should know not to use the STM as a reference. They are still getting the old style front! :P

I don't find the back vent ugly but that's just my opinion.

Does the rear of the bus remind anyone of the Volvo artics?

Think of SEPTA some years ago.

Gene King

I don't find the back vent ugly but that's just my opinion.

Does the rear of the bus remind anyone of the Volvo artics?

Think of SEPTA some years ago.

Gene King

In that there is the high back vent, thr BusExplorer picture at the bottom of the page would suggest that.

Taillights are different, and no rear window on the Philadelphia one.

You should know not to use the STM as a reference. They are still getting the old style front! :P

And they probably will be for years to come. :P

Anyways someone asked if NovaBus has built a 40 footer with the center engine mount and the answer is yes, you cand find some pictures here http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/c1519768.html