Nova planning return to US?

Kevin

Anyways someone asked if NovaBus has built a 40 footer with the center engine mount and the answer is yes, you cand find some pictures here http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/c1519768.html

"...new rear ends" sounds somewhat suggestive. ;)

It appears that that bus would better meet CTA specifications, for no other reason than it has a rear window. However, Nova apparently wasn't in the right place to bid at the right time.

Also, CTA folks, has there been as much criticism about the Novas as other buses? I haven't heard it here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they probably will be for years to come. :P

Anyways someone asked if NovaBus has built a 40 footer with the center engine mount and the answer is yes, you cand find some pictures here http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/c1519768.html

Thanks for the pics! Nova needs to update their website to show this bus.

I'm curious, which bus looks better this Nova LFS or the Gillig BRT?

Gene King

Thanks for the pics! Nova needs to update their website to show this bus.

I'm curious, which bus looks better this Nova LFS or the Gillig BRT?

Gene King

I personally like the LFS design better than the BRT. IMO the BRT is just a ripoff of the Nova. Also, there are somethings on the BRT that bother me. The BRT's windshield wipers are vertical, while the LFS has them horizontal and at the bottom of the windshield, which makes for a better view of the road. Also, the BRT looks like the front-end is just slapped onto a regular Gillig Low Floor, which it is.

I hope Nova succeeds in the US this time.

• 3 months later...

It's About Time!!!

Nova Rules!!!

Do you like the LFS too? I like Novas, even though I still have a grudge against them for discontinuing the RTS and pulling out of the US back in 2002. :angry: I just hope they can gain back customers and market share they lost.

IMO their buses are better than the Gillig.

Do you like the LFS too? I like Novas, even though I still have a grudge against them for discontinuing the RTS and pulling out of the US back in 2002. :angry: I just hope they can gain back customers and market share they lost.

IMO their buses are better than the Gillig.

As far as I can tell, there haven't been complaints about them like other CTA low floor buses, but that might be because they are on financial leases. Any big complaints from those at A or FG?

• 6 months later...

Actually MAN still lives on in a way through the New Flyer LF models that are in service across the US. Their axles are manufactured by MAN.

I knew it, When the first set of new flyers came to chicago (5800) I was like "this bus is just like the americanas, " a low floor version of it, and the motor sound when it comes to a stop is the same.

oh by the way, the nova's favor the MAN's too. board a earlier bus between 6400 - 6500 and listen closely at the motor when it pulls off.

I knew it, When the first set of new flyers came to chicago (5800) I was like "this bus is just like the americanas, " a low floor version of it, and the motor sound when it comes to a stop is the same.

oh by the way, the nova's favor the MAN's too. board a earlier bus between 6400 - 6500 and listen closely at the motor when it pulls off.

My impression was that MANs used German engines (and hence that is why MAN lost competitiveness in this market). I've mentioned before that I don't play "name that tune," but does anyone know what powertrains actually were used?

That's what the most thing that I liked about those 5800s. They sound completely like the Americanas. I wish that they were still in service. And yes I agree with the older Novas 6400-6500 (Especially 77th & Archer) Sounds like the Americanas when It pulls off, thats what loved most about the Americanas and I like the screaming sound of the Americanas when It passes 2nd gear.

This is because it's unknown what the next order is to be produced over there...

As I noted at the time, it seemed slightly strange that they opened in Plattsburgh 5 years after closing down in Schenectady after completing the CTA order. Their sales department must think there is business in the U.S.

Also, when I first saw "churning" I was thinking in the securities fraud context, not throughput on the assembly line.B)

• 9 months later...

Becoming more bored, I found an MTA press release on how they are using the Nova articulated buses.

Looks like they have the same style headlights as CTA's.

Pretty cool. I guess they liked the demo. Those are designated to run the SBS. (Bus Rapid Transit) Pretty good how they have it set up with farecard machines right there at the bus shelter. Actually those liveries are a wrap for the SBS. There's the initial livery's picture here if you scroll down the pictures of the various bus types. Those buses have a pulsating blue light on both sides of the destination marking those as SBS buses. (I was wondering what the blue light was for in your link.) I was reading about this thinking CTA could really learn something from these guys. These guys seem like there light years ahead of us.

Pretty cool. I guess they liked the demo. Those are designated to run the SBS. (Bus Rapid Transit) Pretty good how they have it set up with farecard machines right there at the bus shelter. Actually those liveries are a wrap for the SBS. There's the initial livery's picture here if you scroll down the pictures of the various bus types. Those buses have a pulsating blue light on both sides of the destination marking those as SBS buses. (I was wondering what the blue light was for in your link.) I was reading about this thinking CTA could really learn something from these guys. These guys seem like there light years ahead of us.

Yeah this is fairly common throughout several major cities in the U.S. Chicago is gonna be behind on the times for years and years.

BusHunter's comment about what about when the 6400 series retires starting in 2013 results in my proposing the following crapshoot:

CTA replaces the 6400s with a comparable number of Nova LFS articulateds; thereby increasing capacity without increasing labor.

I have just as good of a chance as being wrong as the rest of you.:lol:

BusHunter's comment about what about when the 6400 series retires starting in 2013 results in my proposing the following crapshoot:

CTA replaces the 6400s with a comparable number of Nova LFS articulateds; thereby increasing capacity without increasing labor.

I have just as good of a chance as being wrong as the rest of you.:lol:

How about CTA at least seeks bids on 400 artics prior to 2013. :)

Does anyone have an idea how many artics (or what percentage of the fleet) CTA feels

it should be operating?

How about CTA at least seeks bids on 400 artics prior to 2013. :)

Does anyone have an idea how many artics (or what percentage of the fleet) CTA feels it should be operating?

Well, the RFP for 900 NFs was, IMO, a joke.

The way I look at it, is that once the level of service shakes out, CTA has to determine what lines have sardine can characteristics.

I still think that trunk lines such as 9, 49, 79, and maybe 3, 4, 8, 20, 22, 63, 66, 77, and 87, should be artic. With regard to 3, 4, 79, and 87, that's sort of what was partially done in 2005, and that would mean that 77th would be mostly artic.

My rationale is that the original theory behind the New Flyers (whether the 150 leased ones, or the "order or no order" for 140) was that they were to reduce the frequency and manpower by 3:4. The frequency got reduced in Feb. 2010, but the capacity was not correspondingly increased.

I am basing my choices of routes essentially on the July 2010 Ridership Report. I am looking at those that in the weekday column have a ridership of over about 18,000. The numbers for 9 and 49 are greatly skewed because the 2009 does not include the X routes, while the 2010 includes passengers diverted from the X to the local.

I suppose that others can do more accurate beancounting on what I propose, but based on that, replacing 480 40 foot LFSs with 400 60 foot ones does not look that bizarre.

Of course, note the caveat to my prior post.

Well, the RFP for 900 NFs was, IMO, a joke.

The way I look at it, is that once the level of service shakes out, CTA has to determine what lines have sardine can characteristics.

I still think that trunk lines such as 9, 49, 79, and maybe 3, 4, 8, 20, 22, 63, 66, 77, and 87, should be artic. With regard to 3, 4, 79, and 87, that's sort of what was partially done in 2005, and that would mean that 77th would be mostly artic.

My rationale is that the original theory behind the New Flyers (whether the 150 leased ones, or the "order or no order" for 140) was that they were to reduce the frequency and manpower by 3:4. The frequency got reduced in Feb. 2010, but the capacity was not correspondingly increased.

I am basing my choices of routes essentially on the July 2010 Ridership Report. I am looking at those that in the weekday column have a ridership of over about 18,000. The numbers for 9 and 49 are greatly skewed because the 2009 does not include the X routes, while the 2010 includes passengers diverted from the X to the local.

I suppose that others can do more accurate beancounting on what I propose, but based on that, replacing 480 40 foot LFSs with 400 60 foot ones does not look that bizarre.

Of course, note the caveat to my prior post.

I agree w/Busjack. I feel that routes 3, 4, 9, 12, 20, 22, 49, 54, 54B, 55, 66, 77, 79, 80, 82, 87, & 152 should be hit with artics. Additionally I think that routes 120-125, 134, 136, 143, & 144 should also be covered with artics. I'm thinking again of Nova LFS Artics as well.

I agree w/Busjack. I feel that routes 3, 4, 9, 12, 20, 22, 49, 54, 54B, 55, 66, 77, 79, 80, 82, 87, & 152 should be hit with artics. Additionally I think that routes 120-125, 134, 136, 143, & 144 should also be covered with artics. I'm thinking again of Nova LFS Artics as well.

The question is, of course, how many of those have artics from Kedzie or North Park? Since you have a number of additional routes, that probably would call for more than I contemplated.

The question is, of course, how many of those have artics from Kedzie or North Park? Since you have a number of additional routes, that probably would call for more than I contemplated.

Might sound silly, but I could imagine an artic shuffle. But on the other hand, I'm seeing (if this was ever to happen) Nova LFS Artics going to the garages that don't have artics (77th, 74th, Chicago, & Forest Glen), meaning MOST of the routes I mentioned getting served with those (3, 4, 9, 20, 49, 54, 54B, 55, 66, 77, 79, 80, 82, 87, 120-125, & 152).