South Cook/ Will Restructuring

MetroShadow

you would think they would market this more as its a big service improvement

The Press Releases are up, but this sure isn't the big service improvement indicated at the first round of workshops. No Flex Routes; only the call and ride in West Joliet, not the other places indicated, such as the territory to be covered by 372. Apparently Lincoln Mall is no longer the destination it was conceived then.

The only extensions of service are on Vermont, 167th and 183rd. A couple of routings (352 and Orland Square) are more direct, but then you need stuff like 372 or 348 in Phoenix to compensate.

Of course you got the usual restructuring cutbacks, the most noticeable one here being 355, and several others (382 and 384) in the Southwest Division.

This pretty much looks like the usual Pace restructuring where the goal is to cut 4%. No sign that the $7.5 million per year that was supposed to be allocated to get people from South Cook to jobs (section 2.09(c ) of the RTA Act) actually resulted in comensurate service improvements; in fact, access to jobs in the Loop via 355 decreased.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

The May minutes are up and seem to confirm what I previously surmised about 353 through Thornton, and restructuring being used to cut.

Also, the Finance Committee Minutes indicate that the $7.5 million isn't being used for this, but because it is off the top, Pace's discretionary money was cut.

Money may be fungible, but I'm sure this is another case where the RTA is violating the legislative intent.

Last Wednesday Morning I drove on Dixie HWY in Homewood, Flossmoor towards Prairie State College, I did see Southbound new signs logo 372 on it and with old Northbound 352 bus signs, but still seeing 370 old signs on both sides on Halsted when I was leaving the college.

I did do some scouting down south today, and while some bus stop signs were changed, there were still some 364-370s on 159th between Halsted and the tracks, and also some signs that still indicated that 355 went into Hammond. Other new type signs were apparently taped over, so the accumulation on the new signs begins.

The main thing I wanted to see were headsigns on new routes, but the one thing I can report is that there are a lot of broken signs in the South Division (such as 356 TINL; the side sign was 356 Tinley Hosp. )

Last week or 2 ago, there was still a ex-381 bus stop shelter with a passenger and a baby on 95th at southwest corner of Roberts at strip-mall in Hickory Hills. When I passed there, there was a Bus#385 bus which was at a left lane to make a left to go north on Roberts towards Midway, the passenger ("Dummy"with a baby) had hurry to across the street to try to get on that bus while its on the left lane, I guess the driver told her to go to the bus stop on Roberts on north end of 95th. If that old 381 shelter is still there, they need to move it. But that passenger should know better than that.

Last week or 2 ago, there was still a ex-381 bus stop shelter with a passenger and a baby on 95th at southwest corner of Roberts ... If that old 381 shelter is still there, they need to move it. But that passenger should know better than that.

Not any more. The stop is close to worthless, but is back in service on a couple of feeder runs and half the Saturday ones. See the new schedule, front and back.

However, Pace should have done a better job with its signs during the interim when it was out of service. As for the shelter, one would assume it was on an advertising contract.

• 4 weeks later...

Not any more. The stop is close to worthless, but is back in service on a couple of feeder runs and half the Saturday ones. See the new schedule, front and back.

However, Pace should have done a better job with its signs during the interim when it was out of service. As for the shelter, one would assume it was on an advertising contract.

anyone been out on the new services?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like this topic gets revived, as that there is a Public Hearing Notice to discontinue 372.

Originally, this was planned to get a community vehicle to make up for 352 being made direct via Halsted instead of via Homewood. Maybe they should have done what was first suggested.

Update: Checking the Passenger Notice, it is only Saturday being subject to the hearing.