Rockford Bus....

I am really interested in the Rockford Transit system. Does anyone have their history? What Id like to know is the types of buses have they run in years past. Their earliest models up to now which were just retired are the 1991 Flxible Metros and 1995 Neoplans. Has anyone ever documented the bus fleet prior to these buses? The only history I have so far is the Loves Park Transit 30ft GMC Fishbowl from CHBM. But aside from that no other history. Is it possible "Motor Coach Age" magazine may have published an issue about the Rockford transit system? I hope someone has some history on them. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Loves Park Transit

76-77 1972 GM TDH-3302

78-80 Unknown Oldlooks Used?

81-82 1977 Flxible 45096

83-84 1982 GMC T7W-604

85-86 1987 GMC T7W-606*

87-88 1992 TMC T7O-606*

89-90 1995 Neoplan AN 430*

Loves Park Transit Went out of business in 2000 RMTD took over routes.

*85-86 Went to Decatur Transit (IL) retired in 2002

*87-88 Went to MetroLINK Rock Island Illinois as 9202-9203 still in active service.

*89-90 Went to Rockford as 9514-9515 Retired in 2007 Scrapped

Rockford Mass transit roster

http://www.geocities.com/buslist/IL/RockfordMTD.html

The only buses missing off the roster are the 2007 NABI's 0701-0720

Hope this helps you some.

James Roach

MetroLINK 9013

Loves Park Transit

76-77 1972 GM TDH-3302

81-82 1977 Flxible 45096

83-84 1982 GMC T7W-604

85-86 1987 GMC T7W-606*

87-88 1992 TMC T7O-606*

*87-88 Went to MetroLINK Rock Island Illinois as 9202-9203 still in active service.

James Roach

MetroLINK 9013

Oh yes sounds good, thanks for the helpful info. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew RMTD had 40 footers in the past. I think one of them is still sitting today at their downtown garage. Id like to hopefully find some pics of these buses down the road. Im trying to find out if Motor Coach Age magazine did a Rockford issue. I have a couple of shots of the Rockford NABIs I took at the garage, Ill post them soon. I also took some video riding aboard RMTD Gillig #9907. I really like all of Rockfords current fleet and the Neos they just did away with. Their NABIs look pretty cool too. Small bus fleet, shorter transits. I believe their fleet is now about 41 buses with the arrival of the NABIs last year.

Oh yes sounds good, thanks for the helpful info. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew RMTD had 40 footers in the past. I think one of them is still sitting today at their downtown garage. Id like to hopefully find some pics of these buses down the road. Im trying to find out if Motor Coach Age magazine did a Rockford issue. I have a couple of shots of the Rockford NABIs I took at the garage, Ill post them soon. I also took some video riding aboard RMTD Gillig #9907. I really like all of Rockfords current fleet and the Neos they just did away with. Their NABIs look pretty cool too. Small bus fleet, shorter transits. I believe their fleet is now about 41 buses with the arrival of the NABIs last year.

Well the fleet stands at 40 9905 wast burnt to a crisp will be replaced sometime soon. As for a historical bus in their garage I was there last month and saw nothing. All the Neoplans were scrapped execpt for 9504 which sits in a firehouse by the airport as a mobile command unit. There is also a 1982 Neoplan at a firehouse on west state street being used for training the sidea are cut out of it. I have plenty of pics from Rockford if ur interested.

Thanks,

James Roach

metrolink9013

Well the fleet stands at 40 9905 wast burnt to a crisp will be replaced sometime soon. As for a historical bus in their garage I was there last month and saw nothing. All the Neoplans were scrapped execpt for 9504 which sits in a firehouse by the airport as a mobile command unit. There is also a 1982 Neoplan at a firehouse on west state street being used for training the sidea are cut out of it. I have plenty of pics from Rockford if ur interested.

Thanks,

James Roach

metrolink9013

Yes sir I would certainly be interested in viewing any Rockford bus pics you have, Thank you! :)

Yes sir I would certainly be interested in viewing any Rockford bus pics you have, Thank you! :)

In the ewarly days RMTD had various fishbowls, TDH3501's, TDH5105's all ex ATC. In early 70's they had about six used TDH5301's, at least two of which landed at CTA for use in repairing badly wrecked 5307's. I will look to see if I can find more.

Loves Park Transit

76-77 1972 GM TDH-3302

81-82 1977 Flxible 45096

83-84 1982 GMC T7W-604

85-86 1987 GMC T7W-606*

87-88 1992 TMC T7O-606*

James Roach

MetroLINK 9013

Loves Park 78-80 I am pretty sure were TDH3714's from somewhere. Remember seeing such at their yard years ago. Also, the baby bowls were apparently numbered 1 and 2 when delivered.

Andre

I wish I could have purchased one of their retired 1995 Neoplans AN430s or one of the 4 Flxible Metros and place in at the CHBM collection.

There's only one Neoplan left in Rockford (9504) and the fire department owns it. All other Neoplans and flxibles went straight to the scrapper. I watched 9510 go throught the scrapper. Sad sight.

James Roach

MetroLINK9013

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Rockford tonight, took a trip to the RMTD garage. Saturday I got to see and video some of the action there and caught up with a few of my fellow busfans from CHBM attending the Rockford train show which was really good. We all got together at the RMTD garage and like I said, we got some pics and video. Found some pretty good action for a saturday, mainly NABIs running, a couple of the NF low floors and a couple of Gilligs. And while I was filming it wasant long before a message over the loudspeaker emerged, "Security can you find out what those people are doing across the street?" Sure enough we were done so we got into our cars and my friends in their car were challenged by a security guard. It is still upsetting that even if were not on transit property, we still get hassled. BTW, no additional sightings of any new deliveries of any NF buses this weekend.

Just got back from Rockford tonight, took a trip to the RMTD garage. Saturday I got to see and video some of the action there and caught up with a few of my fellow busfans from CHBM attending the Rockford train show which was really good. We all got together at the RMTD garage and like I said, we got some pics and video. Found some pretty good action for a saturday, mainly NABIs running, a couple of the NF low floors and a couple of Gilligs. And while I was filming it wasant long before a message over the loudspeaker emerged, "Security can you find out what those people are doing across the street?" Sure enough we were done so we got into our cars and my friends in their car were challenged by a security guard. It is still upsetting that even if were not on transit property, we still get hassled. BTW, no additional sightings of any new deliveries of any NF buses this weekend.

New Flyer deliveries take place monday thru friday no weekend delivery. But i do have some shots of some CTA NF's from my trip to NF two weeks ago.

James

New Flyer deliveries take place monday thru friday no weekend delivery. But i do have some shots of some CTA NF's from my trip to NF two weeks ago.

James

Deliveries do take place on the weekends. Many times, too many to count I have witnessed NF deliveries along the I-90 tollway on saturdays. All the new CTA NF deliveries Ive witnessed have taken place on saturday. If you ever travel the I-90 tollway on saturday morning it is very likely you will see a NF delivery EB whether to CTA or an east coast transit system.

• 7 months later...

Nice pics, I was actually looking at their site a week ago trying to see what they had. It looks like a nice system :)

Ive grown up with CTA so Im use to large transit systems such as CTA, NYC, L.A., etc... Lately Ive taken more of an interest in smaller regional transit systems such as Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, Beloit and RMTD is no exception. I like things such as their fleet, paint scheme, operations. I met the driver on the #6 Killburn route, she was really nice. The routes are of course small some very short, certainly justifies the use of 30 ft buses. She also tells me the RMTD has plans to phase out the Gillig Phantoms, when is not known at this time. What will replace them is not known as well, but it will be interesting. Anytime Im in Rockford I try to get some RMTD pics. It is a very interesting system, Id certainly like to get a tour of the garage.

Nice pics, I was actually looking at their site a week ago trying to see what they had. It looks like a nice system :)

Well in and around the RMTD downtown garage/terminal is a pretty seedy area, you kinda have to watch your step there. Surprising with the Rockford Police station just across the street you still have riff raff hanging around the station. But its fun to watch all the RMTD buses converging and leaving the bus terminal.

"RMTD has plans to phase out the Gillig Phantoms, when is not known at this time. What will replace them is not known as well."

RMTD will receive 2 35ft Gillig lf's spmetime next year one of which will replace 9905 that gillig that caught fire last january. RMTD is securing funds to replace the 30ft gilligs by 2010.

James Roach

"RMTD has plans to phase out the Gillig Phantoms, when is not known at this time. What will replace them is not known as well."

RMTD will receive 2 35ft Gillig lf's spmetime next year one of which will replace 9905 that gillig that caught fire last january. RMTD is securing funds to replace the 30ft gilligs by 2010.

James Roach

The new Gilligs will be numbered #0900s. And in 2010 it would likely be more Gilligs, #1000s. Id like to see pics of Rockfords transit system from past years. I saw some pics of their early trolley coach system. I also read that RMTD was close to shutting down operations.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

James Roach

I wonder if they will get theirs soon, MVTA and MVRTA have both received their 2009 Gillig 35ft LF orders earlier than first thought.

More Rockford Transit pics taken today..... Nabi #0715 on the E. State route.

Nice photos :) Do you think you could get one of a Phantom sometime before they are retired?

I wonder if they will get theirs soon, MVTA and MVRTA have both received their 2009 Gillig 35ft LF orders earlier than first thought.

Nice photos :) Do you think you could get one of a Phantom sometime before they are retired?

That will not be a problem!. My next trip to Rockford Ill get some pics. Although being only 30ft long, they do tend to run the Gilligs on the East State route since it runs through busy shopping areas on the East side of Rockford. Before the NABIs were placed in service in 2007 the E. State route ran Gilligs, Flxibles, New Flyers, or Neoplan AN430s assigned. The twenty NABIs delivered, replaced four Flxible 35ft Metros and fifteen Neoplan AN430s in RMTDs fleet. RMTD is a 40 bus fleet. Im predicting RMTD in 2010 will replace the Gilligs with New Flyers or newer Gilligs such as the 35ft buses in service in Beloit, Wis. I wouldnt think they would order Optimas. RMTD seems to buy heavy duty, more familiar brands. Their fleet numbers will be #1000s since RMTD numbers their buses according to the year theyre delivered.