What's left for #5300 Flxibles

BusHunter

What I mean is that almost half (if not many) of the remaining Flxible buses at Chicago aren't used. That simple. I know they're retiring, but you'd think CTA would use them alot before they retired.

They do appear regularly during peak service periods, both AM & PM. In fact on rare occasions, one or two of them show up on Bus Tracker along Madison Street. Because they come out in the afternoon as well as the morning, I believe that while many of them possibly could be retired when Three Track is finished, some of the 48 Flxs still on the Chicago Ave. roster will probably need replacements.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, i'm only talking about #76 and perhaps #20 (what i've seen on the tracker) here, so I could be wrong, and if I am proved wrong, I will apologize :).

I can't really prove much, but Chicago does use at least 25 5300s each weekday from what I've seen on most of its routes over the past month.

That's pretty much true. I still see them in service on the west side Chicago routes mainly on the 53 Pulaski, 54 Cicero and X54 Cicero Express. Oh yeah and I do see them on the 70 Division as well. I do still see them sometimes on the 20 or X20, but as has been pointed out it's become more rare for these two. I don't see them as much on Chicago routes that operate downtown. Chicago seems to follow FG's trend in regard to assigning its older buses on downtown routes.

Would you use a 1300 that is a year old, or a 17 year old, which probably leaks, at least?

Nope.

They do appear regularly during peak service periods, both AM & PM. In fact on rare occasions, one or two of them show up on Bus Tracker along Madison Street. Because they come out in the afternoon as well as the morning, I believe that while many of them possibly could be retired when Three Track is finished, some of the 48 Flxs still on the Chicago Ave. roster will probably need replacements.

I know they do (and I see them every morning and afternoon on #76, which runs not even a block south from my house), but my point was that they seem to use only the buses I listed, but then again, those are probably their best Flxibles that they have (and trust me those buses still do run good).

I can't really prove much, but Chicago does use at least 25 5300s each weekday from what I've seen on most of its routes over the past month.

That's pretty much true. I still see them in service on the west side Chicago routes mainly on the 53 Pulaski, 54 Cicero and X54 Cicero Express. Oh yeah and I do see them on the 70 Division as well. I do still see them sometimes on the 20 or X20, but as has been pointed out it's become more rare for these two. I don't see them as much on Chicago routes that operate downtown. Chicago seems to follow FG's trend in regard to assigning its older buses on downtown routes.

I'm going to have to apologize here. I saw both 5464 and 5688 today on #76 from my window and I also saw 5439 yesterday (and I just remembered this sighting) at Diversey and Pulaski on the same route.

5499 is scrap most likely. It hasn't been in service for months, sometime before March apparently. It hasn't shown up on any of the what's left lists in this thread.

That was some news I wasn't looking forward to, since I wanted to ride it one last time before it left us. Does anybody know its last garage it was out of (i'm thinking Chicago, but I can't remember)? Also, if the bus is really retired, I will miss it much more then the other Flxibles because it was the very first CTA bus I ever boarded.

That was some news I wasn't looking forward to, since I wanted to ride it one last time before it left us. Does anybody know its last garage it was out of (i'm thinking Chicago, but I can't remember)? Also, if the bus is really retired, I will miss it much more then the other Flxibles because it was the very first CTA bus I ever boarded.

The last garage for #5499 was 103rd. The bus was retired before 6/2007. I'll see if I can find a more exact date. That bus was special to me too, being it was one of the first if not the first #5300 at the glen. It arrived a few days before the rest #5477 - #5544 initially. I remember all of the first group running on the #56, #81 and #77 exclusively. It wasn't until #5545 - #5661 came when most of the other routes got the new buses. It's possible #5499 could've been a training bus.

That bus was special to me too, being it was one of the first if not the first #5300 at the glen. It arrived a few days before the rest #5477 - #5544 initially. I remember all of the first group running on the #56, #81 and #77 exclusively.

I remember seeing (and riding a couple of times) 5499 on #56 sometimes back in 2000 or 2001 and on #76 back in the mid 90s (like '94 or '95) when it was at Chicago.

It's possible #5499 could've been a training bus.

That is very true and in fact I did see it one time laying over at Jefferson Park and it had the "instruction (or training, whatever lol) bus" sign on it.

I remember seeing (and riding a couple of times) 5499 on #56 sometimes back in 2000 or 2001 and on #76 back in the mid 90s (like '94 or '95) when it was at Chicago.

That is very true and in fact I did see it one time laying over at Jefferson Park and it had the "instruction (or training, whatever lol) bus" sign on it.

Hey, I know it's sad to hear such another great bus is now gone, but there's always the ones that are left to enjoy, and make the best of them while you can before they are also gone. :(

5499 is scrap most likely. It hasn't been in service for months, sometime before March apparently. It hasn't shown up on any of the what's left lists in this thread.

See post number 5 in this thread. It does list #5499 as retired. After about a half hour researching my notes, I discovered the answer was already in this thread. :huh: All those buses listed as retired in post five were retired between October of last year and February of this year. So there's the date of retirement if you had any questions about it.

See post number 5 in this thread. It does list #5499 as retired. After about a half hour researching my notes, I discovered the answer was already in this thread. :huh: All those buses listed as retired in post five were retired between October of last year and February of this year. So there's the date of retirement if you had any questions about it.

Oh ok. I totally overlooked it. I did spend 20 minutes going through the active lists in this thread and was pretty sure I didn't see it on those. Good thing I was still able to answer Buslover88's question correctly about whether it was still in service.

:o As I rode the Red Line southbound yesterday around 5:00pm I saw a Flx 5300 headed northbound on the Ryan. The bus appeared to have a white wrap [for State Farm Insurance?] . I mention this as a bit of encouragement as I figure the adwrap means that bus will likely be around for a while.

:) Gene King

:o As I rode the Red Line southbound yesterday around 5:00pm I saw a Flx 5300 headed northbound on the Ryan. The bus appeared to have a white wrap [for State Farm Insurance?] . I mention this as a bit of encouragement as I figure the adwrap means that bus will likely be around for a while.

Chicago garages #5300's should be around until 3 track ends toward the end of the year or around thanksgiving according to rmadison. Most likely the best #5300's from both 103rd and Chicago will be there. Actually some #5300's run better than some #6000's. I boarded #5602 and #5476 the other day and was surprised how good the AC still was on these buses. :)

If the CTA sticks to its retirement schedule this time, maybe no more than a few months minimum. The ad wrap doesn't necessarily suggest anything. There have been a couple of NP TMCs to be in special ad wraps in the past year or two that are now scrap metal today. If I remember correctly one never got put back in standard CTA colors before being retired. It spent it's final days of service in an ad wrap before being sent directly to the scrap heap.

Among the Americanas, if memory serves 4041 didn't serve its final days in standard CTA colors. It operated in the special paint job (I forget what it was for) it received while still in Kedzie service.

I'm going to have to apologize here. I saw both 5464 and 5688 today on #76 from my window and I also saw 5439 yesterday (and I just remembered this sighting) at Diversey and Pulaski on the same route.

I have another apology to make :), as I saw 5588 on #76 Diversey today.

Chicago seems to follow FG's trend in regard to assigning its older buses on downtown routes.

I don't really see much of a trend developing. Forest Glen still regularly assigns 6000s on the 56 (even on weekends like today from looking at the tracker). Chicago also assigns 5300s daily on the 66 and 65, and North Park isn't shy with its remaining 4400s either as they appear regularly on weekdays on the 22, 36, and 151. I'm not sure about 77th's 4400s assignments, but 103rd does let the 5300s and 4400s run on the 29.

I don't really see much of a trend developing. Forest Glen still regularly assigns 6000s on the 56 (even on weekends like today from looking at the tracker). Chicago also assigns 5300s daily on the 66 and 65, and North Park isn't shy with its remaining 4400s either as they appear regularly on weekdays on the 22, 36, and 151. I'm not sure about 77th's 4400s assignments, but 103rd does let the 5300s and 4400s run on the 29.

No one said assignment of older buses on downtown routes at these garages doesn't happen at all. The point is that sightings on these routes is rare. For FG and Chicago, a very large number of buses seen on its downtown routes are from their newer fleet. For FG, 9 times out of 10 the bus seen on the 56 is a Nova. For Chicago, 9 times out of ten the bus seen on 20, X20, 65 and 66 is an NF. In my own personal experience, I have a better chance of more regularly seeing Chicago 5300s on routes outside of downtown such as 53, 54, X54, 70, 72, 74, and 76. I see FG 6000s more regularly on its routes outside downtown such as 80, X80, 152, 77, 78, 92, 84, 85 and 91. I'm not saying there is an overall trend outright, but that it is a pattern I observe in my own personal experience. NP was never mentioned in terms of older bus assignnments on downtown routes outside of everyone's observation that it rarely happens on the weekends if at all on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics I took earlier today at the scrapyards off of 92nd/Ewing ave. What a sad site to see! Flxible #5456 and TMC #4514 awaiting their final trip to the shredders. Its too bad we cant go in and grab the parts still on the buses, especially the Flxible nameplate and the run boxes. The Flxible has written on it "scrapped 2-15-08". And on the other end of the junkyard I found these other TMCs. To see #4479 was sad to look at because I drove this bus out of North Park. There are more TMC buses there but they werent accessible to photograph. Luckily in that exact spot there were city garbage containers, I was able to climb up on to see over the fence, so I was able to get a clear view of the three TMCs and off to the right out of the picture there are more buses but my view was obstructed by large chunks of concrete, I couldnt get a good shot. Nos. #5456 and TMC 4514 are in clear view from the bridge on Ewing ave. From here I headed down to Pace South Holland acceptance facility, John LeBeau was a big help in directing me to the facility, thanks John!. I took some pics there as well that I will also post. Maybe someone recognizes the run number on the CTA TMC 4669(#341) and knows what the last street this bus ran on. I plan to make more trips as more buses arrive here.

Is that scrapyard on 92nd/Ewing accessible? :mellow: .... Because, I would love to retrieve some parts off a CTA bus and keep them for memories...

Is that scrapyard on 92nd/Ewing accessible? :mellow: .... Because, I would love to retrieve some parts off a CTA bus and keep them for memories...

The junkyard can be sen off the 92nd/Ewing bridge. But as far a as access the only thing I can tell you is bring some scrap metal to enter the site otherwise you wont be allowed to get in and see the buses. I brought in some scrap sitting in my garage and I got in and I brough my camera. As I snapped a photo of one of the TMCs, a man who worked there approached me and asked me why was I photographing the junked buses, he wasant upset at me, he was just curious. I told him I used to drive those buses. He was very polite and gave me permission to get up close to the buses and photograph as much as I wanted but I had to be careful not to get caught by his supervisor. I took my pics looked around a bit and then I left. I recommend caution when going there, the area is not a very safe one. I stay in my vehicle before I get out and try to spot the buses from 92nd st. If I see something I will try to snap my pics and not stand around there too long.