What's left for #5300 Flxibles

BusHunter

The junkyard can be sen off the 92nd/Ewing bridge. But as far a as access the only thing I can tell you is bring some scrap metal to enter the site otherwise you wont be allowed to get in and see the buses. I brought in some scrap sitting in my garage and I got in and I brough my camera. As I snapped a photo of one of the TMCs, a man who worked there approached me and asked me why was I photographing the junked buses, he wasant upset at me, he was just curious. I told him I used to drive those buses. He was very polite and gave me permission to get up close to the buses and photograph as much as I wanted but I had to be careful not to get caught by his supervisor. I took my pics looked around a bit and then I left. I recommend caution when going there, the area is not a very safe one. I stay in my vehicle before I get out and try to spot the buses from 92nd st. If I see something I will try to snap my pics and not stand around there too long.

Oh ok...thanks 5750... Now I can see why they are so farr off and out of site...

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57, as of earlier today. And 122 TMCs.

With 179 of both types left, and, by my calculation, about 240-250 D40LFs to go, it looks like they are dropping off the roster a bit quicker than predicted. Not to mention the DE60LFs coming.

With 179 of both types left, and, by my calculation, about 240-250 D40LFs to go, it looks like they are dropping off the roster a bit quicker than predicted. Not to mention the DE60LFs coming.

If there is 240-250 more NFs coming, and with about 180 1991 buses left, isn't that a little too fast? Because if they have all those NFs coming in and the 1991 buses are completey gone, then what happens? Unless the CTA plans on retiring some of the 1995 buses too ...

If there is 240-250 more NFs coming, and with about 180 1991 buses left, isn't that a little too fast? Because if they have all those NFs coming in and the 1991 buses are completey gone, then what happens? Unless the CTA plans on retiring some of the 1995 buses too ...

That intent has been voiced. Also, don't forget the reports that the 5800s are to become history (about 60 buses).

That intent has been voiced. Also, don't forget the reports that the 5800s are to become history (about 60 buses).

I just realized that. So, the rest of these NFs coming (once the 1991 buses are gone) are most likely going to completey replace the 5800s and some 6000s.

According to what RM says, if you do the math. 179 1991's plus 317 #6000's plus 59 #5800's you get 555 buses. With at least 242 more #1000's coming and 150 #600's translating to 200 replacements. 555 minus 442 leaves 113 #6000's left. There will probably be fewer than that after some consolidation helps to shrink a few garages fleets.

According to what RM says, if you do the math. 179 1991's plus 317 #6000's plus 59 #5800's you get 555 buses. With at least 242 more #1000's coming and 150 #600's translating to 200 replacements. 555 minus 442 leaves 113 #6000's left. There will probably be fewer than that after some consolidation helps to shrink a few garages fleets.

I agree with you, but I think it's more a shift and updating in the amount of service provided at each garage that accounts for any fleet reductions moreso than the consolidation plan that's been dead it the water for months outside of NFs replacing any remaining TMCs and 5300s.

I agree with you, but I think it's more a shift and updating in the amount of service provided at each garage that accounts for any fleet reductions moreso than the consolidation plan that's been dead it the water for months outside of NFs replacing any remaining TMCs and 5300s.

And also the end of 3 track in Dec.

The junkyard can be sen off the 92nd/Ewing bridge. But as far a as access the only thing I can tell you is bring some scrap metal to enter the site otherwise you wont be allowed to get in and see the buses. I brought in some scrap sitting in my garage and I got in and I brough my camera. As I snapped a photo of one of the TMCs, a man who worked there approached me and asked me why was I photographing the junked buses, he wasant upset at me, he was just curious. I told him I used to drive those buses. He was very polite and gave me permission to get up close to the buses and photograph as much as I wanted but I had to be careful not to get caught by his supervisor. I took my pics looked around a bit and then I left. I recommend caution when going there, the area is not a very safe one. I stay in my vehicle before I get out and try to spot the buses from 92nd st. If I see something I will try to snap my pics and not stand around there too long.

I've been to NIMCO in New Jersey two years ago to snap pictures of bunch of scrapped East coast buses like NYCMTA's 1980s GMC RTS, PAT's 1983 Neoplan Penniliners, and the owner of the Juckyard had welcome me to enter and checked out the buses, it was so fun and shocking of course. Is just that Chicago junkyard workers are such a "Wuzz"!!!!! I still haven't got a chance to get to Ewing yet, but maybe tomorrow or next week, thanks for warning!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I also saw #5710 on the X54 a couple weeks back. I don't remember if it was a white ad wrap for Google or something else?

I think I remember seeing it recently as well, but I don't exactly remember which route it was on. I think it may have been for the CTA trip planner on Google Maps.

I also saw #5710 on the X54 a couple weeks back. I don't remember if it was a white ad wrap for Google or something else?

I think I remember seeing it recently as well, but I don't exactly remember which route it was on. I think it may have been for the CTA trip planner on Google Maps.

About a month ago, I saw and rode 5710 on #76 Diversey. It was the Google map ad, to answer both questions.

The total fleet is at 48, with 5 left at 103rd. I don't know for sure, but I'd wager a guess that the remaining 5 will be either retired or transferred to Chicago next weekend.

Seems as if a special effort is being made to chase the last 5300s from 103rd. While in Hyde Park late last week, I spotted 4415, a very recent reassignment from North Park, in Jeffery Local service. So, it seems as if at least one ex-NP 4400 (maybe more) has been added to 103rd Street's roster in addition to the fresh-from-the-factory New Flyers, in order to quicken the exodus of Flxibles.

Seems as if a special effort is being made to chase the last 5300s from 103rd. While in Hyde Park late last week, I spotted 4415, a very recent reassignment from North Park, in Jeffery Local service. So, it seems as if at least one ex-NP 4400 (maybe more) has been added to 103rd Street's roster in addition to the fresh-from-the-factory New Flyers, in order to quicken the exodus of Flxibles.

Sounds like a simultaneous acceleration of the exit of 4400s from NP.

Sounds like a simultaneous acceleration of the exit of 4400s from NP.

North Park has also lost #4582 and #4478 to 77th. Also a few more #5300's have worked there way to Chicago Garage #5347 was on the #65 yesterday and #5618 was on the #53 a few days ago. As far as I know #5662 and #5652 are still at 103rd as part of the last five.

North Park has also lost #4582 and #4478 to 77th. Also a few more #5300's have worked there way to Chicago Garage #5347 was on the #65 yesterday and #5618 was on the #53 a few days ago. As far as I know #5662 and #5652 are still at 103rd as part of the last five.

I guess 77th is the last garage for 4400s and Chicago Ave for 5300s. But I really going to miss 4400s on NP routes (#151 Sheridan, 97 Skokie and #22 Clark), it was my favorite garage for them. Chicago and 103 has been a great garage for 5300s since brand new.

Is my 4485 still alive at 103rd?

Does anyone know if 5460 is still around? I assumed if it needed any extensive lift repairs it would be scrapped but if it was a quick fix then I wouldn't be surprised if it was still running since it seemed to run pretty well when I was on it. It was just the loud rattling a/c that seemed problematic.