What was up with the Red Line on Friday night?

dauber

My wife and I were heading south, and when we passed Addison we heard the operator on the northbound train announcing that all passengers had to leave, that Addison was the end of the line (despite the "Howard" signs still being displayed instead of, say, "Not In Service"). We got off at Belmont, and there was a northbound Red Line train waiting there, and the operator of that train made an announcement saying that Addison would be the last stop. A few minutes later, same thing happened when ANOTHER southbound Red Line train went by. The two women working at the station just stared blankly when I asked what was going on.

My wife and I had dinner, and afterwords they were STILL making those Addison announcements. Went to an improv show, and as of about midnight, STILL no trains going further north than Addison.

I saw nothing on the CTA site about this, nor was there anything on ChicagoBreakingNews.com or in the Sun-Times or anything....anybody know what was going on???