old hat badge.

mikem626

I recently inherited a old CTA supervisor hat badge # 557. It belonged to my great grandfather and it's in wonderful shape.

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could some how find information on what title my great grandfather held with the cta.

Can anyone tell me what year the badge is from. I'll try and take a picture of it and post it.

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently inherited a old CTA supervisor hat badge # 557. It belonged to my great grandfather and it's in wonderful shape.

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could some how find information on what title my great grandfather held with the cta.

Can anyone tell me what year the badge is from. I'll try and take a picture of it and post it.

Thank you for your help.

These badges were issued by the CTA way back. My educated guess was 1949/50.

The supervisors' badges were pretty much copied from the old CSL supervisors badges, with the obvious changes with the "CTA Coin".

If your great grandfather was issued 557, I'm thinking he was a rail employee (as opposed to surface). He could have been a supervisor, or a rail instructor. Supervisors and instuctors wore the same badges until 1979. The protocol at CTA has always been that you have to be a supervisor to qualify to be an instructor, so in any case, your great grandfather came up through the ranks, and was at the very least a supervisor. Quite possible he could have gone much further. Maybe even superintendant! They don't take your badges away once you get that far in the orginization.