The New Brown Line Stations

jcmellencamp78

This may just be my opinion, but I have been riding past the rehabbed brown line stations, and I am just not impressed. They give this look like they are still under construction. I guess there was so much hoopla created about them, and they just aren't that great. Although, I must say the the stationhouses have been greatly improved.

Thoughts?

This may just be my opinion, but I have been riding past the rehabbed brown line stations, and I am just not impressed. They give this look like they are still under construction. I guess there was so much hoopla created about them, and they just aren't that great. Although, I must say the the stationhouses have been greatly improved.

Thoughts?

I think a lot of people had higher expectations for this new stations. In reality, there is not much to the new platforms. The canopies are virtually the same, minus years of paint and grime. At Armitage they have installed fancy platform lights in the section viewable from the boulevard only, presumably due to lack of funds. I agree the station houses are greatly improved and it is nice to have an elevator.

In my mind they lack the most important feature of any station in Chicago, protection for the elements! These canopies were designed for 3 - 4 car trains, not 8 cars. I can just imagine how silly it must look during the rain to see 40 people squeezed under one canopy. Small waiting areas about the size of bus stops provide wind blocks, not nearly enough. At Sedgwick there is a roofless gap between the stairs and the canopy, and "an emergency exit" that should be an auxiliary. Unless the CTA redeems itself by making these stations worth the money and rider hardship they will always have unfinished aspect.

• 3 weeks later...

The paint job (or lack there of) has a lot to do with the unfinished look. The thing I don't really like is that the awnings are way short on a bunch of the stations. I mean, couldn't they extend them a bit more for people who have to wait in the rain and snow for their train?

While up north, I happened to use the Diversey station. Construction on the platform looks nearly complete. I must say Diversey looks much better than Armitage, possibly because they used so many historical elements at Diversey?

Here are a few photos. Enjoy :)

post-5-1211157144_thumb.jpg

I love the historical lights but hope they would paint the poles black to match.

post-5-1211157623_thumb.jpg

post-5-1211157665_thumb.jpg

The new railings look very close the original. Their construction is a bit different though, anyone know what changed?

post-5-1211157734_thumb.jpg

Much nicer than traditional florescent lights.

post-5-1211157800_thumb.jpg

post-5-1211157826_thumb.jpg