Pink/Blue Line Confusion

jcmellencamp78

I've noticed this has been happening a lot more recently. But 2600 Cars normally assigned to the Blue Line have been popping up on the Pink Line replacing the 2200 pairs found on most Pink Line Runs. I've been noticing this a lot more after the Blue Line Incident a couple of weeks ago. Is the CTA pulling some 2200s off for inspection to avoid this mishap again?

I've noticed this has been happening a lot more recently. But 2600 Cars normally assigned to the Blue Line have been popping up on the Pink Line replacing the 2200 pairs found on most Pink Line Runs.

Actually, this was because the Pink Line simply needed more cars than the 44 total cars that were originally assigned to the line. As a result, cars 3001-3022 were returned to the Blue Line in exchange for the last 40 cars of the 2600 series (3161-3200) to keep the numbering 'contingent'. The Pink Line now has 62 cars officially assigned to the line; thus, during off-peak periods, the 2200s are laid up in 54th Yard, and the line runs only with 2600s. The 2200s assigned to the Pink Line are needed only on weekdays, while the Blue Line's 2200s are needed during periods of 6- and 8-car operation on that line (typically weekdays and Saturdays, and occasionally on Sundays).