Bus Wheels

Does anyone have an explanation for the new types of wheels that are being put on newer buses. Everything that has come in to the CTA since the 6000 series Flxibles (ie, Novas, NABIs and New Flyers) and the Orion VI and NABIs to Pace have had these types of wheels. In fact, they were first on some of the 5700 series buses that were built with the (I believe) Cummins Engines. It seems that they are an aluminum type of wheel instead of the older steel wheel. Might this be a reduced weight thing or is it something else ????

• 8 months later...

I assume you are reffering to the Alcoa Alluminum wheels. They are intended to reduce weight and absorb heat from the brakes. Most agencies today use those, they are good wheels and if kept up can look very nice and shiny. The brochure for those rims when we first got them claimed to prolong brake life, and increase fuel milleage in some indirect way, but as for my opinion, less weight and less heat.-Kyle

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have an explanation for the new types of wheels that are being put on newer buses. Everything that has come in to the CTA since the 6000 series Flxibles (ie, Novas, NABIs and New Flyers) and the Orion VI and NABIs to Pace have had these types of wheels. In fact, they were first on some of the 5700 series buses that were built with the (I believe) Cummins Engines. It seems that they are an aluminum type of wheel instead of the older steel wheel. Might this be a reduced weight thing or is it something else ????

Flxible 5743 Doesn't Have The Alcoa Rims Anymore It Has The Wheels From The 5300-5739 Series