Kato Metra MP36 N Scale

Has anyone purchased the new Kato N scale Metra MP36 along with the new bi level coaches? I purchased my sets and I think Kato really nailed it! The detail is unbelieveable! The cab is an 8500 series with actual and true to scale operating cab lights, the cars are 6000/6100 series coaches. Kato printed two different Metra loco numbers, #416/427. I also had on hand, a couple of the Wheels of Time RTA bilevel coaches that were released a couple of years ago, which unfortunately did not match the Con Cor version, but they look really excellent with the Kato cars. If you havent seen these Metra models yet, look on the Kato USA website that has all the information plus some nice pics! I also currently have in the works a custom model of an N scale Metra F40C using a spare Athearn N WSOR F45 I had on hand. Kato is also planning to release a (VRE) Virginia Railway Express version of the MP36 and bilevel cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Trainfest in Milwaukee last Sunday, and saw a few sets for sale. The set does look good, but I had other things in mind to spend my money on. I am into vintage O and HO scale trains (O meaning Lionel, and also converting prewar/early postwar 2-rail stock to Lionel operation, and HO trains from the 1930s through early 1950s). Basically it came to a matter of buying a bunch of prewar Walthers metal/wood coach kits, or the Metra set I can get online or just about anywhere.

Of course the Walthers cars won!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

...I also currently have in the works a custom model of an N scale Metra F40C using a spare Athearn N WSOR F45 I had on hand. Kato is also planning to release a (VRE) Virginia Railway Express version of the MP36 and bilevel cars.

Any pics yet of the kitbashed F-40-C?

I am very interested in seeing how that turns out! I wouldn't even attempt a project like that, as I am more comfortable kitbashing in HO and O scale, and Athearn F-45s are too expensive to risk lousing up, for me anyway. I do have one, a Milwaukee Road F-45, but it will certainly not be rebuilt or anything!

Just got the Fox Valley Models 1934 Hiawatha in N scale, got it for next to nothing as I traded PC repairs towards the cost of the train. That will keep me busy running for a long time.

Any pics yet of the kitbashed F-40-C?

I am very interested in seeing how that turns out! I wouldn't even attempt a project like that, as I am more comfortable kitbashing in HO and O scale, and Athearn F-45s are too expensive to risk lousing up, for me anyway. I do have one, a Milwaukee Road F-45, but it will certainly not be rebuilt or anything!

Just got the Fox Valley Models 1934 Hiawatha in N scale, got it for next to nothing as I traded PC repairs towards the cost of the train. That will keep me busy running for a long time.

I just spoke to my custom painter on FB, he tells me the loco is painted and he is in the process of decaling the model. He is hoping to have it ready to deliver in a couple weeks. Cant wait!!! He did my WSOR E8/9, it looks unbelieveable! I was hoping to get a FV Hiawatha set but the Metra release was more enticing to spend my money on. Maybe in the future Ill obtain a set.

• 1 month later...

Ever get the F-40-C done?

I sure am enjoying the FVM Hiawatha! Very minor problem with the locomotive/tender as purchased: The lead tender truck was a little tight, and the tender wasn't weighted enough. Between these, the tender tracked fairly poorly. I suppose they skimped on weight expecting the average modeler to stuff a DCC chip inside, which would probably bring it up enough. I put a pinewood derby weight pellet inside, and loosened the tender truck. Problem solved.

Ever get the F-40-C done?

I sure am enjoying the FVM Hiawatha! Very minor problem with the locomotive/tender as purchased: The lead tender truck was a little tight, and the tender wasn't weighted enough. Between these, the tender tracked fairly poorly. I suppose they skimped on weight expecting the average modeler to stuff a DCC chip inside, which would probably bring it up enough. I put a pinewood derby weight pellet inside, and loosened the tender truck. Problem solved.

Nope, still waiting on the engine. I have to contact him! :)

I would be a little worried too. Then again, it was the holidays, and I am guessing the fellow doing the custom pant work is a "cottage industry" type. Usually then the holidays make work slow to a crawl.

I can relate. Seems every year starting around Thanksgiving, I get people coming to my computer shop, that know I am into trains, and ask me to fix their old Lionel or American Flyer locomotives. One year I made more doing that than selling and fixing computers!

• 2 months later...

quote name='Railwaymodeler' date='17 March 2012 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1331964017' post='35411']

Ever get the locomotive back?

Here she is! My N scale Metra F40C. It was built from a spare Athearn WSOR F45 I had on hand. I had the engine delivered to me this week! Also my WSOR E unit, both models, courtesy of Mitch Hartman.

post-158-13320053373814_thumb.png post-158-13320058041282_thumb.png

post-158-13320058609387_thumb.png

That looks great! I'm pretty envious!

Been spending part of the working on my N scale layout - picked up a bunch of cars online, there were about 40 total, mostly Kadee/Micro Trains stuff. Now I'm finishing up my small yard so I can do something with them. Also picked up a Kato #4 switch, to add another industrial siding. Installed that today too.

• Upvote 1

That looks great! I'm pretty envious!

Been spending part of the working on my N scale layout - picked up a bunch of cars online, there were about 40 total, mostly Kadee/Micro Trains stuff. Now I'm finishing up my small yard so I can do something with them. Also picked up a Kato #4 switch, to add another industrial siding. Installed that today too.

Ive got as ton of Kato Track I have spare on hand for sale. Its packed away in a plastic tub. Yourself or anyone else are welcomed to take a look.

I'm figuring out what I will be looking for soon, and am planning to send you a PM when I have it all figured.

Probably going to have knee surgery soon. Going to get an MRI tomorrow, and will know for sure what's happening early next week. If I have surgery, I'll probably be home for a couple weeks recovering, which will mean lots of model railroading time.