Red Line Washington Station

jajuan

I happened to be downtown this morning walking down State to Madison get a 157 on the way to work and happened to notice that there are patches of grass on what used to be the entrances to the Washington Station to the Red Line. From what I can best determine, the grass is planted in soil laid over a slab cemented in place over what were the stairs descending into the station. When was this done because it's the first time I noticed it from rarely being on State Street lately when downtown? Definitely shows they don't plan on bringing back the Washington stop on the Red Line any time soon if ever with this in place.

I happened to be downtown this morning walking down State to Madison get a 157 on the way to work and happened to notice that there are patches of grass on what used to be the entrances to the Washington Station to the Red Line. From what I can best determine, the grass is planted in soil laid over a slab cemented in place over what were the stairs descending into the station. When was this done because it's the first time I noticed it from rarely being on State Street lately when downtown? Definitely shows they don't plan on bringing back the Washington stop on the Red Line any time soon if ever with this in place.

The stairs were bricked over about two years ago. It's a pretty clever way improving their appearance and avoiding cleanup of debris that would otherwise fall within. There was a photo taken when this was occurring to give you a better idea of how the stairs were covered.

4644831705_a78bea567f.jpg

Photo: Zolk - Flickr

Thanks for the info. I haven't really been on that stretch of State Street much in about that long. Most of the time my commute through downtown has been either on Michigan Avenue or on one of the rail lines to notice they bricked the station over.