Refreshment Cars

cta6085

• 9 months later...
Guest metralink

Metra recently announced the end of the bar cars because they need more room. These were nice cars, I always thought Metra should maket it more such as putting which trains operate with them (like Amtrak lists cafe cars).

Metro North I belive just ordered new bar cars since they believe it serves their market, perhaps Metra can learn something from them.

Metra recently announced the end of the bar cars because they need more room. These were nice cars, I always thought Metra should maket it more such as putting which trains operate with them (like Amtrak lists cafe cars).

The joke is that the bar cars have the most room of any cars in the system with a seating capacity

of 138 per car. The fact that it is a bar car has nothing to do with seating. That is just rhetoric that

Metra put out to justify retiring the cars. The new ADA (7400 and 6000 series gallery, 8400 and 8500 cab and 1200 MU) cars have 125 seats per car...funny, I don't see any comments being made about how space is needed in these cars.

The bar cars have had their time. They do slow the boarding process without the doors opening and when they are not used as bar cars, they just get in the way. Simply put, they are a pain to work around. Also, it seems a little foolheardy to have bar cars on trains when alcohol is banned 40% of the time during the summer (of course after the rush hour during the week, so they can make their 5 bucks !!!!). There are so few of these cars (I believe it is about 14 system wide) that they really won't be missed. You can still get your booze in the station before leaving.