Bus Deliveries

trainman8119

BTW, it appears that the buses are being delivered directly from the factory to the garages, instead of sitting a while at 77th near Perry, like the 6400s and 7500s did.

I remember when the RTS buses from TMC were delivered, they came through the TMC facility in Mount Prospect for prep before going to 77th Street. I used to see the mechanics driving the buses down Golf Road and they used to park in the shopping center lot and have breakfast at the old Shoney's (which is now a Boston Market). It was not uncommon during the week to see 2 or 3 buses parked there on any given morning.

And if you went by their lot, you'd see a fistful parked there waiting to go. Anyway, I was always up on what new buses I would see on State Street (as they were all going to 77th before spreading out) about 2 weeks before they went into service, right down to the last 4900.

I guess with no local delivery point now, they would have to go directly to a CTA property and be prepped there. I think it is possible that with the Flxibles in such bad shape, they may just want to get rid of them as quick as possible, and getting the new equipment on property helps expedite the process.