Service Cuts or Fare Increase?

Kevin

Would you prefer service cuts or fare hikes?  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

• Service Cuts
    • Fare Increase
    • Moderation of Both

The Chicago Transit Board is currently reviewing five possible scenarios to cover the $55 million deficit for this year. Some plans call for fare increases to up to $3.40, while others detail drastic service cut backs.

What method do you think would be best for dealing with the deficit if no additional funding is received?

The benefits of paying more for riding CTA buses and trains outweighs any negative aspects, in my opinion. I would rather have the option to ride the Orange Line at 11pm and pay more than not. With service cuts, one is restricted to the reduced level of service. Less frequency of buses and trains would put a cramp in commutes for many people who depend on transit service at off-peak hours.

If cost would deem it reasonable, it could be beneficial to add a surcharge to those who use trains and buses during rush hour. True, a good number of people might not be able to afford service at higher prices. Yet, I think the greatest number of people would be served better by boosting fares.

Ryan Balla