Rail Observations During Taste Week

jajuan

In addition to the rail lines providing longer trains for longer periods of the day last week, the Pink Line operated six-car trains. There goes that comment from another member that this line never operates six-car trains or never has done so.

I also managed to see a 4-car Blue Line train with 2 2200 cars during the early part of Saturday morning. This is the first time I've seen weekend use of the 2200s in quite a while.

In addition to the rail lines providing longer trains for longer periods of the day last week, the Pink Line operated six-car trains. There goes that comment from another member that this line never operates six-car trains or never has done so.

I also managed to see a 4-car Blue Line train with 2 2200 cars during the early part of Saturday morning. This is the first time I've seen weekend use of the 2200s in quite a while.

The first part of that post is ironic, given that before the current Cicero/21st station was opened in 1978, the Douglas (Cermak) branch was limited to six-car operations. And six-car trains are occasionally run on the Pink Line during special events.

As for the Blue Line (O'Hare to Forest Park), make that the first time that you saw 2200s being run on a consist less than eight cars long on weekends. The Blue Line runs eight-car trains during the day on Saturdays and even Sundays. And in those eight-car consists, 2200s are common.

The first part of that post is ironic, given that before the current Cicero/21st station was opened in 1978, the Douglas (Cermak) branch was limited to six-car operations. And six-car trains are occasionally run on the Pink Line during special events.

As for the Blue Line (O'Hare to Forest Park), make that the first time that you saw 2200s being run on a consist less than eight cars long on weekends. The Blue Line runs eight-car trains during the day on Saturdays and even Sundays. And in those eight-car consists, 2200s are common.

I pass by the Pink Line more than I do the Blue if I have to go anywhere on the CTA during the weekend, so I was accurate in saying that it's been a while since I've seen any 2200s in use on the weekend. That was the first weekend Blue Line train I've had a chance to observe in over six months, and when I did before that it was always a four car train with all 2600 series cars.