SCRTD Los Angeles

I was cruising YouTube and I found some very cool SCRTD training videos from the 1980s. One was about the huge grafitti problem SCRTD had in the 80s, a training video of how to operate in the SCRTD yards, the 1984 olympics and others. Really cool videos each at least 10 minutes in length. You see the old GMC fishbowls and RTSs, Flx Metros, New looks and a MAN 60ft Artic getting "tagged". Any transit buff would really enjoy these films, check them out.

Okay, I saw the vandalism video after I posted last night. That was terrible! Does tagging like that still happen!!?? Now I see where some of the anti bus attitudes are coming from. I also see where the vandal resistant seating/interiors comes from too :lol:

Okay, I saw the vandalism video after I posted last night. That was terrible! Does tagging like that still happen!!?? Now I see where some of the anti bus attitudes are coming from. I also see where the vandal resistant seating/interiors comes from too :lol:
As far as the psyche of those engaging in vandalism, I don't know. However, the vandal resistant wrap on the windows came from when Lexan was substituted for glass, making etching much easier.

As far as the psyche of those engaging in vandalism, I don't know. However, the vandal resistant wrap on the windows came from when Lexan was substituted for glass, making etching much easier.

Well I guess part of the idea was to have your name or symbol going around the city for all to see. I'm guessing the Lexan had something to do with the riots maybe? I have noticed there is still fresh vandalism on buses now with Sharpieti, and scratching on the windows. Does it get bad on CTA/Pace? I saw that all the CTA trains/buses have the window film on them now.

Well I guess part of the idea was to have your name or symbol going around the city for all to see. I'm guessing the Lexan had something to do with the riots maybe? I have noticed there is still fresh vandalism on buses now with Sharpieti, and scratching on the windows. Does it get bad on CTA/Pace? I saw that all the CTA trains/buses have the window film on them now.

The last time I rode MTA back in 2002 I boarded a Route 439 bus to LAX, I rode on the 3 axle Neoplan AN440s they ran #1116 , the interior looked awful, I mean grafitti everywhere along the seats. and to add to the disgust a homeless, foul mouthed passenger in the back. It was a disgusting bus ride, my wife wasant too happy about the ride and neither was I. I thought to myself, "wow it isnt this bad in Chicago".

The last time I rode MTA back in 2002 I boarded a Route 439 bus to LAX, I rode on the 3 axle Neoplan AN440s they ran #1116 , the interior looked awful, I mean grafitti everywhere along the seats. and to add to the disgust a homeless, foul mouthed passenger in the back. It was a disgusting bus ride, my wife wasant too happy about the ride and neither was I. I thought to myself, "wow it isnt this bad in Chicago".

Wow that is bad :( Now I don't want to be discriminating against certain areas or anything, but if I was the fleet manager for a system where on some routes you can have buses that are marked up like that I would definitely want to put the old buses on the bad routes instead of the newer ones. I'm glad it isn't like that here or in Chicago. I hope the situation for MTA will get better with time as well.

In San Fran they had to take the hybrids of routes in this one part of town where the youths would flip a switch in the back turning off the hybrid mode.

LOL yup...Bayview...they were running O7s on the 54-Felton route and had to switch back to the Neoplans because stupid kids were shutting the buses off, oftentimes right in the middle of the street!

BTW Muni has 86 of these behemoths...hopefully go with New Flyers or something on the next purchase...anything other than an O7 NG!