Do you like the new NABI 45C-LFW (78XX series)

glaframb

The Compobus wasn't around very long. I was only able to ride the bus one time. The interior was much more spacious than the Chicago Nova LFS. The seats by Freedman Seating Company were a new design, more simple and streamlined with stainless steel elements. The Nova LFS have standard CTA seats, and these are rather plain and bulkier.

The door was not an "easy out" door but required a slight push. This is more complex, I would prefer to have seen an "easy out". Few riders have problems with that type of door.

The best feature was the high ceiling in the rear seating area. It offered a more spacious feeling, than that of the Nova LFS. Also, there is no backwards seat. The backwards seat on a Nova LFS is odd and the overall seating arrangement restricts movement inside the bus, usually preventing people from moving back when crowded. The seating arrangement was better inside the Compobus, seating more.

Right now, from what I know, the CTA does not have the Compobus anymore.

Hi;

I found an article about the Compobus in Metro magazine:

http://www.metro-magazine.com/t_featpick.c...cfm?id=90508508

This is in two parts with the second part in the June 2005 issue.

Unfortunately, I haven't ridden the bus but I like the fact that the 45ft version has more seats the Nova LFS. I think I would prefer a flat side vs the curved side of the 45 footer.

I'm not too fond of either to be honest. The Novas feel very bulky and are pretty sluggish for "rapid" transit (and I bet they scare little children :)). The seating configuration is awkward. It seems like the industry has gone low floor overboard. I wish they would concentrate on building better lifts, as low floors don't perform that well in a harsh Chicago winter.

The new NABIs are already showing premature wear, including malfunctioning back doors and joint issues. They are the most uncomfortable ride outside of the original CTA articulated MANs right before they were retired.

The MANs purchased from Seattle had the most comfortable seats I've experienced since moving here in '92. Having any padding at all makes a big difference when you have an articulated roaring down patchy Lake Shore Drive at 45mph or faster.

The TMCs are the best purchase in recent history. Before that I'd say the Flexibles. Both are workhorses are are more customer/driver-friendly.

About the Novas and NABIs:

I think the front overhang on the Novas is too long, notice how many drivers don't bring the bus close to the curb when approaching from a non-curb lane?

If the CTA decided to arrange the rear doorway to discharge two people at once, they should have purchased double push out doors like on the Flxible Twin Coach buses from the 1950s.

About artics, I have only ridden MANs, New Flyer D60s and the 60ft NABI the CTA is using. I found them all to be rather uncomfortable in the rear section at speed.

That's an interesting comment. I find that the best place to sit in the new CTA NABI articulated buses is the first few rows behind the driver or the two pair of seats behind the exit doors after the steps.

Well maybe the second row after the rear exit doors because there's no legroom even for a shortie like me in the first row at the steps.

Anywhere else is a rodeo ride. Well, with the exception of the driver's seat, which is like huge lazy boy on springs.

• 1 month later...