New York Bus Driver pays the ultimate price...

I was reading the news and read that a NYC Transit, Brooklyn bus operator was murdered by a passenger over a fare dispute.

That is, indeed a sad story. People get all angry over doing the proper thing, like paying fares for instance. I have a Jewel related story I heard of... A customer got so mad at a self-checkout once, he put his fist through the touchscreen, breaking it on contact. He tried to walk out afterwards, but security restrained him and the company made him pay for the repairs on it.

I was reading the news and read that a NYC Transit, Brooklyn bus operator was murdered by a passenger over a fare dispute.

Sheesh :angry: Kill someone for doing their job. My condolences to the driver's family, that must be rough :(

A customer got so mad at a self-checkout once, he put his fist through the touchscreen...

In a way I can understand doing that :D Ever try to scan a barcode on a long skinny stick with one of those? Seriously though, what is going on with folks, frustration over the economy or something?

Sheesh :angry: Kill someone for doing their job. My condolences to the driver's family, that must be rough :(

In a way I can understand doing that :D Ever try to scan a barcode on a long skinny stick with one of those? Seriously though, what is going on with folks, frustration over the economy or something?

No matter what kind of frustrations or anger issues people have, theres no reason for violence. It dosent make the situation any better it only worsens it. Just last month two Pace operators I work with at Academy got into it and it almost escalated into a shoving match. I understand times arent good but violent behavior dosent solve anything. With the NYCT tragedy believe me I decided to be more careful when it comes to fare disputes or allow it to escalate, it just isnt worth it. I am a proud father of a beautiful, 5yr old girl who means more to me than life itself, she calls me her hero! She thinks its cool that "one day daddy is playing a bus driver then the next daddy is playing a fireman!". I sure dont want my life to end over a buck and some change. Im sure other bus operators here on this blog will agree on this.

No matter what kind of frustrations or anger issues people have, theres no reason for violence. It dosent make the situation any better it only worsens it. Just last month two Pace operators I work with at Academy got into it and it almost escalated into a shoving match. I understand times arent good but violent behavior dosent solve anything.

Amen to that, CTA5750!

I am a proud father of a beautiful, 5yr old girl who means more to me than life itself, she calls me her hero! She thinks its cool that "one day daddy is playing a bus driver then the next daddy is playing a fireman!". I sure dont want my life to end over a buck and some change. Im sure other bus operators here on this blog will agree on this.

Congrats on your little girl. Even though I am single and have no kids(hope to someday), I know that they are everything to you. And while I am not a Bus Driver, being a Cashier/SCOT Attendant and PT Service Desk operator at a Jewel Food Store, I know how it is hell to deal with some people who are insistent that they are right, even when they are wrong. They try to tell you how to do your job(i.e forget the rules about price checking or seeing if we have an item on a load that they want a raincheck for, they don't care). You don't give them what they want, they call the Corporate Offices and take your name to report you. I had a woman once who chewed me out because I followed security rules for her buying a carton a cigarettes with a check($70.00+ in Chicago).

Bottom line, whether it's a customer on the bus, or a customer in the check-out line, the bitter ones treat us both like pond scum!!! :angry: