layovers for metra crews

west towns

What do metra crews do during the day when they come downtown in the morning and not needed until the afternoon. I know some crews go out during the midday but this can't be many with hourly or less service.

Do they deadhead back to their terminals for example back to Elgin on the Milwaukee West?

What about crews on rush hour lines like the heritage?

What do metra crews do during the day when they come downtown in the morning and not needed until the afternoon. I know some crews go out during the midday but this can't be many with hourly or less service.

Do they deadhead back to their terminals for example back to Elgin on the Milwaukee West?

What about crews on rush hour lines like the heritage?

Just about anything. Some will head back home for a few hours, depending on where they live. Most will stay downtown. Some will sleep, some will play cards....some are traders at the Board of Trade. I myself tried to stay out of crew rooms and meander around the loop, often ending up at Navy Pier or at the zoo. One of the reasons I have learn to hate winter, since then you would have to subject yourself to the crew room. Just about everyone these days does 2 trips to somewhere, so at one time or another, they will be out and about travelling to somewhere and that keeps most from heading home. If you don't have about 6 hours off, which most don't, then it just isn't worth it to head out and back.