Railroad form B

MRChiCity

I know that railroad form B's are used to protect MOW workers, but how dose MOW get a form b authorization? How come trains blow their horn when passing through a form b? When do most trains radio the foreman of the track gang before they get to the red "flag"? In respect to Metra who usually radios the foreman the engineer or the conductor? Please let me know thank you.

I know that railroad form B's are used to protect MOW workers, but how dose MOW get a form b authorization? How come trains blow their horn when passing through a form b? When do most trains radio the foreman of the track gang before they get to the red "flag"? In respect to Metra who usually radios the foreman the engineer or the conductor? Please let me know thank you.

In order to get a Form B, someone from the track department has to put in a request to the dispatcher. Anytime a train is proceeding near men and equipmnent, the engineer is required by the FRA to whistle. In order to pass through the limits of the Form B, the train must request permission to pass through. Any red flag on the track will require a stop, just like a signal light. Usually, the engineer will radio, seeing as how he is the one who usually knows where they are at in terms of seeing the rail.