• Blue Line
    • Green Line
    • Brown Line
    • Orange Line
    • Pink Line
    • Yellow Line
    • Purple Line: Shuttle/Express
    • CTA Night Owl: Blue & Red Line

With the service cuts that happened on February 4th, 2010, which level of service would you have like to have back on the system

Another question is that is it a good idea to combine the Brown and Orange Lines together? Do you think that the CTA has a real Doomsday coming in the near future? Finally, how do you really feel about the new 5000 series trains coming to the CTA? Do you think that they should have really been called that name and which lines really need the service?

Please Note: I am not in any association with the CTA or am i'm with any third party within the CTA. I am a 23 year old kid that is interested into the daily happenings of the CTA within messages users on chicagobus.org

• Upvote 1

With the service cuts that happened on February 4th, 2010, which level of service would you have like to have back on the system

Another question is that is it a good idea to combine the Brown and Orange Lines together? Do you think that the CTA has a real Doomsday coming in the near future? Finally, how do you really feel about the new 5000 series trains coming to the CTA? Do you think that they should have really been called that name and which lines really need the service?

Please Note: I am not in any association with the CTA or am i'm with any third party within the CTA. I am a 23 year old kid that is interested into the daily happenings of the CTA within messages users on chicagobus.org

On the question of the newest CTA rail cars, 5000-series is a reference to the vehicle numbers of the new cars the lowest numbered being set 5001-5002. When you see numbers associated with CTA, or Pace vehicles for that matter, it's in reference to the lowest assigned vehicle number for that model bus or rail car. On buses the series starts at xx00 and rail cars xx01. For example, on the CTA the NOVA LFS model is also called a 6400 series because the lowest number for that model is bus 6400, and the cars used on the Red Line are referred to as 2600s because the lowest for that model rail car is car 2601 in the two car set 2601-2602.

• 1 month later...

On the question of the newest CTA rail cars, 5000-series is a reference to the vehicle numbers of the new cars the lowest numbered being set 5001-5002. When you see numbers associated with CTA, or Pace vehicles for that matter, it's in reference to the lowest assigned vehicle number for that model bus or rail car. On buses the series starts at xx00 and rail cars xx01. For example, on the CTA the NOVA LFS model is also called a 6400 series because the lowest number for that model is bus 6400, and the cars used on the Red Line are referred to as 2600s because the lowest for that model rail car is car 2601 in the two car set 2601-2602.

I think his question was more aimed at the fact that they numbered the 5000 series the 5000 series, and not the 3500 series.

It makes sense to me. 2001-3458 or whatever are all compatible with each other, and can be trained together. However, the 5000-series represents a totally new family of car, and a pretty major upgrade in technology. Therefore, a major break in numbering makes sense to me. Plus, instead of saying "thirty-five-hundred", you get to say FIVE THOUSAND!

I think his question was more aimed at the fact that they numbered the 5000 series the 5000 series, and not the 3500 series.

It makes sense to me. 2001-3458 or whatever are all compatible with each other, and can be trained together. However, the 5000-series represents a totally new family of car, and a pretty major upgrade in technology. Therefore, a major break in numbering makes sense to me. Plus, instead of saying "thirty-five-hundred", you get to say FIVE THOUSAND!

Ok that makes sense too but I really wasn't getting that from how the question was phrased. It was just a general why are they called 5000 series but either way he's got two answers. I just don't try to get too far into CTA management's heads about how numbering its revenue vehicles comes about. :lol: