Metra equipment moves

Tonight I spotted a UP switcher pulling a single cab car at the Foster ave. overpass. One of the car's center doors was open.

More than likely, a car in need of repair being brought to Cal Ave from one of the outlying yards (Crystal Lake, Harvard or Barrington). You will see moves like this at night after stuff is put away. More than likely this car had some sort of federal defect with would not allow it to move as part of a revenue train. As for the doors being open...most places that is a no-no. All doors are supposed to be closed when making movements outside of a yard.

In relation to this topic, I have noticed recently alot of BNSF and Southwest Service coaches at the Rock Island yard on 47th Street. Is there a reason for these coaches to go to this yard for servicing versus their own BNSF facility on south Canal Street?

More than likely, a car in need of repair being brought to Cal Ave from one of the outlying yards (Crystal Lake, Harvard or Barrington). You will see moves like this at night after stuff is put away. More than likely this car had some sort of federal defect with would not allow it to move as part of a revenue train. As for the doors being open...most places that is a no-no. All doors are supposed to be closed when making movements outside of a yard.

Actually it was the other way around, it was a NW bound consist. Probably coming from Calif. Ave.

In relation to this topic, I have noticed recently alot of BNSF and Southwest Service coaches at the Rock Island yard on 47th Street. Is there a reason for these coaches to go to this yard for servicing versus their own BNSF facility on south Canal Street?

Usually means a major overhaul or refurbishing, since that is where a lot of that type of work is done. Also this work is done at KYD and the equipment finds its way there via the Rock Island.

Usually means a major overhaul or refurbishing, since that is where a lot of that type of work is done. Also this work is done at KYD and the equipment finds its way there via the Rock Island.

It was one of the 8400 series cab cars.

It was one of the 8400 series cab cars.

Car 7351 and 7487 are parked on the Dan Ryan side of the expressway completely stripped of everything including the windows leaving just the car body frame. Actually 7351 has been sitting like that for months. Recently, car 755 made its way over. I know that was recent because I rode 755 on a BNSF train just over a week ago.