Historic Buses At Kedzie Garage.

jesi2282

Actually 8499 is not a Flxible new look, it does have a new look front end but the rest of the bus is like the old Flxible propane bus body. It was a special bus, built in 1960 by Flxible as a platform to try out the 6V-71 diesel engine that GM had now given Flxible permission to use. Unlike the propanes, the diesel is located in the back of the bus (where the fuel tank was on the propane buses) and was mounted in a "t-drive" configuration. I believe that it's a Spicer 184 transmission. The bus was orignally built with the old style front end but they converted it at the factory to try out their "new-look" style. The new-look buses that Flxible began producing in 1961 made use of this front end as well as a re-designed body that looked alot more like a current year GM bus. 8499 is a very special bus! :cool:

• 1 year later...

Those buses have been there a long time, when I was a kid I remember asking a street supervisor where I could find some older CTA buses and that is where he sent me, and they showed me the buses and gave me a tour of the garage, and started up the old Flxible for me while I was sitting in the drivers seat. I do have some very poor photos of these buses, if I get time though I will get out my scanner and scan them in. They are in like new condition, very nice! -Kyle