Bus capacity and doors

Since the topic got too far from 5000s

Actually if I'm not mistaken, I thought I might have seen an occupancy sign on the eldorados pace has. So there may be occupancy standards even though they are not posted on CTA equipment. (not just at the federal level) I'm also aware of the line behind the driver. Pace strictly enforces this, but CTA let's it go by the wayside. As far as enforcement goes, with passenger counters aboard buses I suppose they could flash a full sign on the destination like NY does. So it is possible. But that would inevitably play against anyone who proposes cuts in service because many po'ed passengers would end up sitting at the curb. Another thing I might wonder about. You know how the fire code requires two ways of exit from a structure/dwelling in case of a fire. I wonder how it is possible to have a bus like an eldorado with no rear exit door that is legal without conflicting with this. Unless they view the exit windows as alternative exits, but that could still be argued in terms of an accessible passenger not having two exits.

The windows are considered the exits. Not much different than on an OTR, or a suburban. There is also the exit hatch in the roof.

Anyway, there are, as one would expect, federal regulations on the subject (49 CFR 393.62, which refers to FMVSS 217). After finding them, anyone here who is an auto engineer might want to translate them for us.

I suppose that you might have found the reason why the standard bus spec calls for the low floor to the back door.