what happened to the orion 1s

Flyernut

hello everybody do any of you guys no what happend to them

If youre referring to Pace, most have been retired since they were early 90s models. Although I hear that a few are still in active service in the suburban north shore communities.

Also, Pace's usual practice is to advertise them for auction. See the "What's Left [of] the 1993 Orion Is from Pace" thread.

RIPTA41 documented that the earlier ones (1987-1988 models) that were sold after only about 12 years ended up with private operators in Brooklyn or corporate shuttle operators like Colonial. Of course, some also ended up as the 4915 series at CTA for a short while.

However, Pace posted on its contract awards page that most of the bunch sold last year went to Sims Metal Management (i.e. scrap). The Recently Awarded Bids page indicates that the bids on the ones advertised this year have been opened but not yet awarded. Expect something to be posted in the next couple of days.

...Although I hear that a few are still in active service in the suburban north shore communities.

Again, based on the "for sale" notices and what I have personally seen, 36 of 106 1992-1993 models are still around. There also may be a few 1990 models still around, being saved for Ravinia service.