I'm starting to hate the Go Lane

ryanbytes

I'm a reduced fare rider and I use the smartcard instead of the magstripe card. I'd love to know how much I have left so I can put off adding value until I absolutely need to. Thanks to the Go Lane I have absolutely no idea how much I have left! It's getting very annoying. I know I can check my card on the fare machines or at one of the currency exchanges with the fare saucers. My travels usually don't take me anywhere near those.

I'm going to make an assumption (bad) that the CTA assumes (worse) you'll just dump money on your Chicago Card whether you need it or not. Of course the point is moot with the Chicago Card Plus.

Another unrelated observation about the Go Lane. Women with larger purses and people with backpacks on their left shoulder kill it.

Boy I just had a whole bitch session there.

Yes, there are some issues with the current Go Lane implementation. There's no way to check your value, your card won't work if someone inserts a Transit Card at the same time, and people often unknowingly block the card reader.

While the Go Lane is a good concept, the CTA needs to make some improvements if they wish to keep Go Lanes for the long term. There should be a screen above the readers and the card should be able to always read regardless of what transaction is occurring at the traditional farebox.