Bikes on Buses--1970s Style

Paul Fortini

I was looking at some bus photos on the web recently. I discovered that long before the CTA, PACE, and just about every other transit agency put bike racks on the front of buses, AC Transit (San Francisco-Oakland) was experimenting in bikes on buses.

AC Transit called the program the "Pedal Hopper". AC Transit modified a GM Old Look, a 1947 GMC TDH4507, by taking out some seats. That's right, cyclists didn't put their bikes on the front of the bus. They carried them aboard. I wonder how they ever got them up the steps! Remember, no low-floors or kneeling buses!

Here is the "Transit Times" from July, 1971. http://www.actransit...loads/14-01.pdf

Also, check out the wonderful essay, "The Automobile, History of (1896-1984)". I especially like the closing line about who was elected President in 1984. Remember, the piece was written in 1970.

• Upvote 2

...Also, check out the wonderful essay, "The Automobile, History of (1896-1984)". I especially like the closing line about who was elected President in 1984. Remember, the piece was written in 1970.

Since that President was from southern California, maybe Karnak the Magnificent was correct.